The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

steel bending rolling

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gadily

steel bending rolling  Empty
PostSubject: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 9:00 am

this one wont do 3mm sheet metal unless you grind a line before bending it

steel box bender

Last edited by gadily on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 4:02 am

Thanks for the Links Gadily I will probably end up building one of these in near future, it would save a lot of time and make nicer folds than my usual method.
Back to top Go down
https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 5:42 am

Thanks gadily good simple tools to use and make.

Take a look at this.

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 10:43 pm

i liked that vid just one thing it uses parts no diy can make which is a shame really

heres another idea for bending box section pipe

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?77691-square-tube-bender-cost-less-than-25-dollars

Material used 4 ft section of 1 inched flatbar 3/16 thick. One 4-ft section of 1&1/2 flat bar 3/16 thick. One 3/4 inch by 36 inch long round bar round in concrete section(its a concrete stake cheeper there). One 11 inch section of 2x2 angle 3/16 thick. One bolt and nut of your choosing at least 2 inches used to tighten down on the material. Tools needed are a welding machine, a saw to cut the metal, something round to bend the radius over I used a tank from a broken air compressor. A 5/8 or 3/4 inch drill bit your choice" lever is 28 inches long, cut a 3 inch peice of the round bar and weld it to the bottom of the handle at a 90 degree. Radius peice is made from the 1 inch flat it is 2 ft long. Bend it as far as you can then make the 2 ends touch and weld it together. The supports for the radius are 6 inches long, cut 2 of then from the 1&1/2 flat bar weld them to the outside edges of the radius, find the center and drill it out, use your 3/4 inch bit here, if you don't have one use the 5/8 and grind the 3 inch peice welded on the lever handle to fit through the hole Cut 2 pieces 8 inches long from the 1&1/2 flat drill out the top portion about an inch down. Take the lever slide one 8 inch peice over the 3 inch side of the lever then slide the radius over the 3 inch side. Weld the radius to the the 3 inch shaft. Once done slide the second 8 inch peice over the shaft then weld both 8 inch peices to the angle Then cut your horizontals which are gonna be 6&3/4 from the 1&1/2 material, cut 2 of these then cut a small section from the 3/4 its going to be a roller for the material to slide against I welded some 3/8 inch shafts and drilled into the flat assembled it together and weld it to the 8 inch verticals. Last thing to do is make the peice that holds the material your bending cut sentions from the 1 inch material. Make it a little tall. Drill through the top weld the nut and insert the bolt. wrote:

credit goes to the original poster of idea
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 9:43 pm

ive been around net looking for more heavier guage benders this one uses the rear wheel drive cogs on a vehicle this one bends 4.6mm steel 8"

steel bending rolling  Dsc03912

steel bending rolling  Dsc03913

further looking this tool does what the chair is and homemade

steel bending rolling  1729pi10

a 3ft sheet roller both are unknown guages

steel bending rolling  Eq_sli10

steel bending rolling  4910
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 3:51 am

as ive copied the design the vice version which is what i was wanting is named pensacola 2 bender

steel bending rolling  20140211

all made from scrap 2x1 angle iron, 1,1/2 5mm bar, 1,1/2 square tube

though not finish yet as needs the square to hold the metal to the bender and also the back stop to press against while bending the box section around the bender
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 5:49 am

Awesome Post gadily !  Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 4:45 am

gadily where did you find the bender that will form thick steel into a circle?

Do you have a link that shows more on the device?

I am wanting to know what kind of vehicle they used the axles and cogs out of.

I would like to build one of them.

A friend of mine has several hydraulic lift systems that came off of buses that were given to him for a form of payment, he said I can use one or two of them to make something out of, I plan on using them to create a couple of steel bending tools.
Man you find some great nuggets, keep up the great work.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 am

look for post

ditryn 06-25-2011, 05:55 AM

uses starting with some old Toyota axles and gears out of some broken t-cases.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-tools/637760-homemade-slip-ring-roller.html

i hope others will follow on from this and keep it too homemade machines hydralics going on another page instead

im old school on net ive been there done that so im used to using google and the use of search terms
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 10:07 am

This is a great topic post for anyone who likes to be resourceful and builds innovative tools for themselves!  Very Happy   From the one pic that was posted, I would like to NOT in courage people to weld on harden bearing races.

Safety being the number one reason, first!  Very Happy  Failure and possible personal injury from it, not holding up from the stress being placed upon it. Simple solution would be a piece of pipe used as a bearing retainer, with one or two set screw to hold the bearing from turning.

Second reason why not to, would be the simple replacement of a bad bearing.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 9:39 am

id actually use a clamp idea like the one used in the green bender as this would clamp the bearing much better than the screws would however i could see the tapping screws snap due to the pressure exerted upon them so welding isnt the best choice id agree with you there but as goes for cost vs homemade too corporate bought id tend to go for the cheaper option

dk do you have a design that could bend that scale of metal via a bender type machine that you could share of by any chance ?
Back to top Go down
rom1nb

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 9:59 am

gadily wrote:
ive been around net looking for more heavier guage benders this one uses the rear wheel drive cogs on a vehicle this one bends 4.6mm steel 8"

steel bending rolling  Dsc03912

steel bending rolling  Dsc03913

further looking this tool does what the chair is and homemade

steel bending rolling  1729pi10

a 3ft sheet roller both are unknown guages

The frist one is for 24 gauge cold roll steel and the next is for 18 gauge cold roll steel

steel bending rolling  Eq_sli10

steel bending rolling  4910
Back to top Go down
rom1nb

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 10:02 am

gadily wrote:

i made that one last year and it work great  Very Happy 

this one wont do 3mm sheet metal unless you grind a line before bending it

steel box bender

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 12:01 am

gadily wrote:
dk do you have a design that could bend that scale of metal via a bender type machine that you could share of by any chance ?

Sorry gadily I do not, over the years I never run into a situation or reason for building such an awesome machine for myself. I mostly run my own portable repair truck where room was limited, and self creativity was a plus for on the spot such type fabrication.

I have a few machine shops within reasonable distance and it was always more feasible for them to do my larger heavier gauge rolling and or press braking.

I liked that guys innovation and creativity to build such handy machine for himself. I just know from past experience, that trying to weld mild carbon steel to an all ready heat treated, hard bearing race, ends in failure because of the crystallization of the harder metal surface.

The annealing process of already harden steel and or specialty welding rods can help in such a welding situation, but never guarantees success. That's why I suggested a simple bearing holder retainer to assist, over the to quick and easy, hurry up and weld it, we can go back and change it later!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 am

I have a buddy that has given me a hydraulic pump system that I plan on putting to use to fabricate a metal bender, I need something to bend 1/4" metal into tubes.

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 am

another homemade gadget 15kg mig wire roll holder just made up today from scrap metal from an old bed frame as i have a few rolls of 15kg and also 13kg of stainless steel wire

steel bending rolling  Imag0114

steel bending rolling  Imag0115

im using between the roll adapter and mig welder bicycle cable as will keep the wire clean sometimes when its standing
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 3:28 am

as i posted this video up from youtube i never posted the build instructions for it

heres the link for the instructions

http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com/tag/bending-brake/

as quoted in video it will bend

10 guage, 0.128" inch, 3.2mm by 48" length
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 8:56 pm

for those that dont have a bender a simple way instead of the hammer it involves cutting with a grinder with a 1mm disc and also a 3mm disc 4mm would better

first off scrib it with your 1mm disc on the mark you need to bend at cutting half way or 3/4 through on the metal you will decide whats best yourself to use

then grind over with the 3mm or 4mm disc this will give you a good line to see

as i have a steel door welded up and it has the edges i can use i have been using it to bend my ss to make the boxes up

steel bending rolling  Steel_10

in effect its like putting an angle iron drilled to the wall and then folding over at the line cut it does work however id suggest you use a strong wall and bolt through the wall with a good plate on the back of it for strength if you just drill holes and just screw it when you pull on the steel you will pull out the plugs and screws and fall flat on your arse with steel following you its why its suggested that you drill through wall and plate it on other side for strength

then all you do is slide the steel between the angle iron and wall and just bend over at the bottom cut edge the pic below is whats been bent using the method mentioned

steel bending rolling  Imag0122
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 9:21 am

Gadily looks like you have been adding to this thread, here is one to look at for bending sheet metal.
I think I can build a manual one that will do bends like this.

Here is a diy that uses the same principle.

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 7:57 pm

as i have one of these as picked up a bargain

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 5:14 am

well ive decided ive had enough of bending some material by hammer or by brute force decided to build a machine up

its 30,1/2" width by height 1000mm is my build ive copied this one as it can also roll them as well

ive got the frame built already need some angle iron now and decide how im going to implement the rollers as well

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: steel bending rolling    steel bending rolling  Empty

Back to top Go down

steel bending rolling
Page 1 of 1