The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Modular box rocket

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
walkingwithamountain

PostSubject: modular stove    Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:43 am

pekka
you have already almost developed a modular stove with your box rocket stove. I am designing a mass stove on that principle, i have about 80 storage radiator bricks and intend to use them as you have in your box rocket
where the gasses move around a tube system formed by bricks so giving off their heat into a mass my stove will have:
1 it has a rocket tube start with a long feed area for longer burns
2 it can be used as a cooking stove at the top of the burn tube with a hotplate or with a damper placed below the hotplate, it can be directed to a mass storage made of storage radiator bricks which retain the heat
The burn chamber would be made of storage heater bricks with a surrounding of enclosed vermiculite to keep the flue gasses hot for a superior burn
The whole unit would be in the form of a cube for a small footprint area and would probably end up about 4 feet by 6 feet and about 4 feet tall.
my intension is to heat up the enclosed mass in a out building and then pipe the pipe the heat from it with a fan and duct system
Back to top Go down
Pekka Leskelä

PostSubject: Re: Modular box rocket   Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Walkingwithamountain
Your plan sounds very good. Are you going to enclose it in metal cover or are you using mortar.
If you have any doubts, questions or problem I'm happy to help you.
Do you have any drawings of your design (even hand drawn) you could post here.
Looking forward to see your desing.

Pekka
Back to top Go down
chaosgarden

PostSubject: Modular box rocket   Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Walkingwithamountain: If you use storage heater bricks for the burn chamber, then these bricks need a long time to get really hot, the insulation around just prevents them from radiating much heat once they are hot, but to heat them up much time is needed (they have a big specifiv heat capacity) - the stove needs a long time for reaching optimal burning temperatures. However I think the system still can be pretty efficient if the cross section of the wood burning is small enough and the way of the burning gases through the bricks long enough.
The bigger the surface of the mass heated up, the bigger the radiation (heats up the room faster, but the faster all the mass will cool down when the fire stops.

Dani
Back to top Go down
http://unserparadies.blogspot.ch/
brad j

PostSubject: Re: Modular box rocket   Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:28 am

I've never heard of heater bricks. What is the difference from fire brick?
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Modular box rocket   Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:49 am

brad j wrote:
I've never heard of heater bricks. What is the difference from fire brick?

There are a few different types of firebrick, the ones above used in storage heaters are usually of dense heavy construction which when stacked together tight take a long time to heat up but release the heat slowly.
Other kinds are less dense and are better at reflecting heat, thermalite block for instance make a good reflective fire brick and are often used to build flues.
Back to top Go down
http://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk
brad j

PostSubject: Re: Modular box rocket   Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:57 am

thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modular box rocket   

Back to top Go down

Modular box rocket
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1