The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

My first stove

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rageoftheblacksmith

PostSubject: My first stove   Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:20 am

Hello.
A few months ago i found a guy on youtube, who has many skills and posts interesting videos; his ID is poroldchap and you can find him here.
When i saw this video

about a gas tank stove i suddenly remembered having a few old gas tanks and so i decided to give it a try.

This is the first attempt to build my own woodstove.

Top view.

Open door.

Door detail. It took a lot of hammering to make the right curve so that the door frame matches the tank, but i'm happy with the result.

I test fired the stove and i was about to add a variable air intake; i think that air coming from the bottom is the best but i had to stop for a few days because it started raining and i can only cut, grind and weld in my courtyard.

While i waited for a sunny day to resume my work on the stove i kept reading stuff and watching videos about stovemaking; that way i found Kevin Bacon's youtube channel and i started thinking about turning that thing into a rocket stove, or something similar.

Now i am working on the variable air intake and i cut the bottom off another gas tank that i will weld on top of the stove.

Of course i will reduce the exhaust to a smaller section: it was supposed to be a simple stove with a 12cm exhaust pipe but i will probably funnel it to a 8-10cm riser and maybe put a little bit of thermal insulation on it.

As soon as i make any progress on that beast i'll post the updates.

Sorry for the rust but my wife doesn't like to have my experiments inside our house, so the tankstove was left in the courtyard for some days  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: My first stove   Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:32 pm

this is more in the lines of a wood burner

nice build thoe

? did you insert some baffle plates into it at the top to slow down the fire and stop the flames and heat going up the chimney its fine for a garden one

however i do hope that your going to try a build via another way as there is a difference in heat and saving upon the fuel that your using
Back to top Go down
rageoftheblacksmith

PostSubject: Re: My first stove   Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:56 am

Hi gadily!
Yes, this was planned to be a simple woodburner but then i started thinking about modding it into something similar to the many rocket stove heaters i saw online.

This is the stove right now:

A simple airflow from bottom to top and a wide exhaust; far from the concept of fuel efficiency.

This is what i'm planning to do:

And i will probably add a secondary air intake, in blue in the next picture, just to check if it makes any difference:

So i'm just waiting until time and weather allow me to finish this project, then i will probably start a rocket stove like the ones most of the people on this forum are building.
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: My first stove   Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:32 am

looking forward to see the upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Bezman

PostSubject: Re: My first stove   Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Pesky YouTube....just when you think you know what it is that you want to do....someone posts a new video that makes you think about your design......I promise it will keep you busy!

Basic wood burning stove is exactly how I started out so welcome to the 'gang'  pirat 

Workmanship looks spot on from this wood burner so I am interested to see the progress of the RS. Are you going to video the build or take pictures and post a diary? That is the way that most of us have learned off of the more experienced "Stovies".

Have fun.

Bezman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first stove   

Back to top Go down

My first stove
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1