The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CAD or Drawing program.

Go down 
+8
T2H
Vince33
Mrs. Heater
Mr. Heater
Caledonian
aravaron
caotropheus
stlyon
12 posters
AuthorMessage
stlyon

CAD or Drawing program. Empty
PostSubject: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 10:51 am

As I want to work out proper drawings and also post them on here for comment can anyone recommend drawing or CAD program preferably open source/free that I could use?

Obviously I could draw then by hand and scan in but the quality would seriously suffer. :affraid:

Thanks.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 3:10 pm

There are a lot of people using sketchup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchUp
You can make with it accurate enough designs.
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:06 pm

i used sketchup. very good and easy to use .
Back to top Go down
Caledonian

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:31 pm

+1 for SketchUp, once you get the hang of it, it's great :)

Jack
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 12:45 am

Stumbled onto this one today through the forum :

http://www.artofillusion.org/downloads
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Heater

Mrs. Heater

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 7:02 am

Laurie, since I have files already in the .DWG format, I would have liked to get a version of AutoCAD. I heard it is possible to get that free if you meet their eligibility requirements, so I checked and found that I don't. Maybe you do.

There is another program out there that uses .DWG and is free. It is called DraftSight. I am new here so I can't post a link. But if you do a search I am sure you will find it.

I haven't tried it yet so can't give a valid opinion one way or another. If someone tries this out, I would be interested in an opinion, especially if you have used AutoCAD.
Back to top Go down
stlyon

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 am

Thanks for these. I will check them out.

Mr & Mrs Heater: Love the Avatars. Weren't they a wonderful team? Thanks to Ms O'Hara I have a serious weakness for redheads! LOL!

Thanks to "The Duke" I grew up wanting to be a cowboy and I then got into country music! It is all his fault! lol!
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Heater

Mrs. Heater

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 am

Ok, I tried the program DraftSight. Maybe it is just my set up, but the mouse movements were very jumpy.  :bounce:  I didn't like it – it was too difficult to maneuver around (on the plus side, the commands were compatible to AutoCAD). If anyone has a better experience, please let me know and I will try again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 11:02 am

Mrs. Heater, You may have a setting on your PC to slow your mouse speed down ?  :bounce:
Back to top Go down
Vince33

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 7:47 pm

DraftSight looks good - I'll give that a go, thanks. For 3D modelling of a more general nature (including animation) have a look at Blender, which is also free.

@ Mrs Heater - I copied the following from the DraftSight site. These are the minimum system requirements for a Windows system. The more oomph (processor, RAM, graphics card) the better.

- Microsoft Windows Vista® (Enterprise, Business, Ultimate, Home Premium), Microsoft
Windows XP® Professional or Home Edition operating systems, Microsoft Windows® 7
-- Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or AMD Athlon® dual-core processor, 3.0 GHz or greater
-- 1 GB RAM
-- 150 MB free disk space for installation
-- 1,024 x 768 VGA display with true color
-- High color (16 bit) Graphics Card
-- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 web browser or later
-- Internet connection for activation and services offered within the DraftSight Community
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 3:26 pm

I use google sketchup, as well their are programs you can use along side with the free version to export files for cnc code.

Also green shot is another great program to use with googl sketchup, you can take snapshots of your parts to print out to scale patterns.

I will do a video when I have time on how to use greenshot with sketchup.

Once you take your snapshot you can use corel draw or any other program comparable to scale the snapshot to size and then print them out to use for life size actual to true scale patterns.
Back to top Go down
stlyon

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 1:13 pm

After trying to get the hang of a couple of cad/drawing progs I decided life was too short!  Very Happy 

Then realised I had a perfectly simple little drawing program as part of my free Open Office suite. (as well as word compatible word processing, spreadsheet, math calc, and presentation (powerpoint compatible).

So have wistled up a rough first design and saved it as a pdf. Am putting up in the design discussion.
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Heater

Mrs. Heater

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 am

You learn something everyday! Here I have OpenOffice and never even noticed the drawing program. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 3:34 am

i dont know if this is any good but its open source

http://www.openfoam.com/

OpenFOAM includes over 80 solver applications that simulate specific problems in engineering mechanics and over 170 utility applications that perform pre- and post-processing tasks, e.g. meshing, data visualisation, etc.

Solver Capabilities

Incompressible flows
Multiphase flows
Combustion
Buoyancy-driven flows
Conjugate heat transfer
Compressible flows
Particle methods (DEM, DSMC, MD)
Other (Solid dynamics, electromagnetics)

Library Functionality

Turbulence models
Transport/rheology models
Thermophysical models
Lagrangian particle tracking
Reaction kinetics / chemistry
Back to top Go down
inkmotor

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Gotta be Sketchup. I only started using it about two weeks go and I'm already banging out designs quite quickly. It's fantastic to use a CAD program because you can get a real feel for how a design does or doesn't fit together.

The thing with Sketchup is that it's enormously popular; there's a massive user base, tons and tons of tutorials and hundreds of plug-ins to extend its functionality. It's the bomb yo!
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 5:53 am

I have been using Auto Cad 2006 for a couple years and get around on it pretty good. I can get drawings to plasma table pretty quick. The problem I have is converting images, pictures, or a scan to dxf file so I can use it in Auto Cad without jumping through a bunch of hoops. Google Sketch Up would be nice but neither of my computers will support it and even then not sure how you would convert to dxf file other than what Trying2Hard posted. We have two seats for Auto Cad 3D but I am not one of the privalaged to be able to use it as I think they are quite expensive. Anyone know of a program that is free to convert, would appreciate it, especially if it is an easy conversion.
Back to top Go down
zipster1967

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Anyone who is using Sketchup should put one of the 3D mouse versions by 3DCONNEXION on their shopping list. I have had mine for about 3 years now and I just spent 11 days without it. (Left it at home while on the road.) Working without it now that I have used it is extremely annoying. It allows you to work so much faster and more efficiently (No more having to click on different tools to move around in your model) I highly recommend picking one up. It's well worth the price (And no I am not associated with the company in any way I just love this product.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CAD or Drawing program.   CAD or Drawing program. Empty

Back to top Go down

CAD or Drawing program.
Page 1 of 1