The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jameshookway

PostSubject: Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.   Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:17 am

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know hoe to calculate the output of a stove? In either BTU's or kWh's?

Regards

James
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.   Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:26 am

That is a question that I found no answer yet. Probably emerging the stove in water and measuring water temperature increase for a certain period of time? data like volume of air consumed, weight of the burned wood, volume of exhaust gases and particles output and how all these parameter change with different factors should be interesting to collect as well. The member rocket booster made some interesting experiments on this issue as well, take a look at his posts...

For sure companies that produce classical wood stoves have some way of measuring heat output...
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.   Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:25 am

best way i know of is via a central heating radiator

as its mass vs air over its fins gives its btu ratio

http://www.theradiatorcompany.co.uk/heatoutput/

to calculate a radiator size is room size vs outside walls

http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/heating/radiators.htm

so room size 2.4 x 2.4 sq with 2.4m high ceilings,

All of which is fine, but there are a number of other factors come into it. This is all based on a house with 230mm solid brick walls, 100mm loft insulation, each room having one external wall and average size windows.

to warm a room from cold to this

To reach 65 F / 18 C (BTU's/hr)

it has to be done per hr to calculate btu,s the room takes 3500 btu,s To reach 65 F / 18 C (BTU's/hr) any faster to warm then its producing more btu,s
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.   Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:52 am

heres to calculate for moving air over the air heating systems

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-heating-systems-d_1136.html
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.   Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks for that Gadily, but I am still confused, as radiators run at 75-80C and stove can run at 400-500C, so I cant see the comparison.
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.   Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:42 am

I have been talking to a friend and he says that you can roughly calculate the output of a stove by weighing the wood first (dry as you can get it). Then after burning the stove for a set time, keeping the room at a set temperature, weigh the remaining wood. Then using the calorific value of the wood you should be able to work out the output.

I think all of the commercial stove are calculated on their best performance with the perfect fuel.

Is this correct?
Back to top Go down
Josjor

PostSubject: Re: Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.   Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 am

There are a lot of variables. As I've been messing with pellets instead of wood, I can get a rough estimate. The bags of pellets are rated and in my case, the ones I'm using are rated at 8,000 BTU per pound, if I recall correctly. So I timed how long it took my stove to eat a pound of pellets and did a little math and that gave me a rough estimate of the BTU per hour of the stove. Of course, this doesn't take into consideration things like thermal conductivity, air circulation, etc.

Other than that, I'm not any help.
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.   Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks for that. It would be interesting to find out how the stove industry do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.   

Back to top Go down

Calculating the output of a wood burning stove.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1