The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

pLasma cutters

Go down 
+4
twistedkarma
Rocketeer
mattinker
jameshookway
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jameshookway

jameshookway

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 8:15 pm

I am looking into buying a plasma cutter can anyone give me some advice. I live in the UK so will need something accessible here

Thanks

James
Back to top Go down
mattinker

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 10:24 pm

jameshookway wrote:
I am looking into buying a plasma cutter can anyone give me some advice. I live in the UK so will need something accessible here

Thanks

James

A thought, why don't you ask on

http://madmodder.net/index.php

There a quit a few UK contributors.

Regards, Matthew
Back to top Go down

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Hello James, Plasma cutters are nice, the bigger the machine, the more money. Like everything else a person buys now a day, you get what you pay for.

Over the years I have used a variety of many different bands and sizes of Plasma Cutters. Most important thing to remember about a plasma cutter, they likes lots of DRY air supply.

Next, I would jump on the net and read reviews on the different machines you have available to you. Maybe even try to demo a machine first before you buy it, to see if it going to do what you want it to? Then I would check out the replacement prices and availability of the consumables, for the torch head.    

I have a little 110V Thermal Dynamics Plasma cutter, made in Italy I am thinking? Great little machine for what I need a plasma cutter for, light gauge mild steel, Aluminum and Stainless Steel.

I will almost always, use my Oxy Acetylene Torch on 10ga. mild steel and up. So personally I have no real justification for owning a larger Plasma Machine.

I hope this little bit of info is helpful for you !  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks DK and Matthew,

I am going to have to do more research although I would like one tomorrow, as I have lots of work for it! I am in the process of building my first RS. Very Happy 

I will get on that website later today.
Back to top Go down

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 11:43 pm

I Love New Play Toys for the Shop!  Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 12:18 am

dkwelder wrote:

Why just for the shop? :lol: 
Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:52 am

Rocketeer wrote:
dkwelder wrote:

Why just for the shop? :lol: 

because you cant sleep with it.
Back to top Go down
gadily

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 2:09 am

there is another option to plasma cutters and dk should know of this one

is the 2 bottled gas cutter acceterlene cutter plasma cutters are ok it all depends on how much you are going to use them to there costs wanting a gadget and paying for said gadget is another thing
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 2:18 am

Hi Gadily,

I know about gas axes but I need to cut thin gauge sheet accurately as well.
Back to top Go down
mattinker

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 4:24 am

gadily wrote:

is the 2 bottled gas cutter acceterlene cutter plasma cutters are ok it all depends on how much you are going to use them to there costs wanting a gadget and paying for said gadget is another thing

I have replaced my Ox y-acetylene cutter with a plasma cutter. It is a big old one that cuts up to 15mm. No bottles, no fus, just electricity!

Regards, Matthew
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:35 am

mattinker wrote:
gadily wrote:

I have replaced my Ox y-acetylene cutter with a plasma cutter. It is a big old one that cuts up to 15mm. No bottles, no fus, just electricity!

Regards, Matthew

I clean rusty steel with electricity and water Removes paint also  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 6:04 am

Rocketeer,

Long ago I remember hearing something about an electricity cleaning process of metal. Maybe you could start a new topic post on the process you use?  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 10:58 am

dkwelder wrote:
Rocketeer,

Long ago I remember hearing something about an electricity cleaning process of metal. Maybe you could start a new topic post on the process you use?  Very Happy

I would be glad to. In have a 200 gallon tank I will be filling in the spring. My old system was a plastic 50 gallon drum. I will post some information before that.
I shall call it Electrolysis Metal Cleaning in a vat.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 5:01 am

jameshookway wrote:
Hi Gadily,

I know about gas axes but I need to cut thin gauge sheet accurately as well.
I am looking at buying one as well Gadily.

After reading some reviews on a Chinese made version available on ebay, I have decided to buy one here very soon.

I can let you know how it works out if your interested and have not made the plunge.

They do make a gas cutter that can cut precise thin slices but those are well are incredibly expensive.

Back to top Go down
Josjor

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 2:33 pm

I've got one of these torches, though mine was from when they were labeled under the "Henrob" brand. It's a great torch and while it is considerably more precise than a traditional cutting torch, it isn't as precise as a MIG. Makes really nice welds, once you get the hang of it. I use mine quite a bit. A lot less slag than my old Victor cutting torch.

I still want a plasma. Fortunately I have a good friend that bought a big dog: $3k 240v model that cuts 1/2" like it was butter. He gives me free reign to use it when I want. Only catch is that his shop is 3 miles away in the country so I can't just grab it and use it on the spur of the moment. The good news is I helped him build a shooting range at his place so when I do go use it, target practice is a side effect. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Trying2Hard,

Interesting videos, there's a new one on me. Looks like that torch would have its special little place in the workshop. Very Happy   I would be course in knowing if that torch uses more or less oxygen?

I hate to see and hear about old torches getting a bad reputation. Any of the old style torches I have seen people use and cuss after having used them. More times then not, the torch has been abused and not properly maintained. :( 

I will suggest to anyone having issues in using an old style torch, to first make sure the torch tip is the right size and clean. These two little factors can help reduce slag and keep your torch cut from looking like an alligator done it!

I am very Bias and over protective of my Victor Journeyman Torch, reason being, I hate having to clean up a messy torch cut with a grinder, Its all about time and money. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 9:35 pm

that cobra has been around for years. with a normal torch, no need for 2 hand resting to cut, notice how tall it is, you cant rest as you cut
Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Josjor how thick can you cut with the cobra?

I do a lot of thick metal.
Back to top Go down

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 9:46 pm

twistedkarma wrote:
Josjor     how thick can you cut with the cobra?

Regardless of the torch you use, the thicker the metal the more self conscious or your torch head angle, helps reduce slag.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Josjor

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 10:48 pm

dkwelder wrote:
twistedkarma wrote:
Josjor     how thick can you cut with the cobra?

Regardless of the torch you use, the thicker the metal the more self conscious or your torch head angle, helps reduce slag.  Very Happy

You can cut about as thick as you would ever want, most likely. I've cut 1/2" with no problem. Tip size is the key. I've got down to the 00 and up to the #3.

As for gas use, it seems a lot more miserly than my old Victor.

It's like any other tool: owning it is only half the equation. Learning to use it is the other.......and it's probably the bigger half. (Can you have a "bigger" half? Oh well. Math never was my strong point. Very Happy  ) Things like tip angle, getting the regulator's set right, and consistency in movement make all the difference.
Back to top Go down

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 11:09 pm

Josjor,

I would say your spot on with that, owning the tools is the easy part, now learn how to use them correctly. Very Happy

Cutting Iron with a torch, is a lot like welding, Practice and knowing what size tip for the job. Just like welding, there is also little tips and tricks to using a torch.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 3:44 pm

dkwelder wrote:

I will almost always, use my Oxy Acetylene Torch on 10ga. mild steel and up. So personally I have no real justification for owning a larger Plasma Machine.

Oxy Acetylene converted to propane can work well (less money, easier refilling) when you're only using the torch for cutting.
Back to top Go down

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 1:29 am

Tim Keith wrote:
dkwelder wrote:

Oxy Acetylene converted to propane can work well (less money, easier refilling) when you're only using the torch for cutting.

I agree with you Tim on the less money end of it, I use a propane tip on my big torch for scrapping iron.

Propane, unlike Acetylene, Takes longer to preheat steel because of lesser BTU value. Not that's its a bad thing, just takes a little longer is all.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Another cutting technology is gasoline torches, the price of the equipment has dropped some but remains too costly for me to consider, but these torches can efficiently cut heavy steel.  I believe the ongoing consumables for gasoline torches might cost less than for a plasma cutter ( not sure about that claim).   For me one of the most practical metal cutting tools is an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.  These tools from Harbor Freight are $10 when on sale,  the older ones have not failed me yet. I have a 4x6 metal cutting bandsaw, but I prefer the angle grinder for most quick cuts.
Back to top Go down

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Tim Keith wrote:
 For me one of the most practical metal cutting tools is an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.  These tools from Harbor Freight are $10 when on sale,  the older ones have not failed me yet.  I have a 4x6 metal cutting bandsaw, but I prefer the angle grinder for most quick cuts.  

I am a big fan of the 4-1/2" peanut grinder, with a 5" cut-off wheel on it for fast and clean cut of small stuff. 5" disk on a 4-1/2" grinder is very DANGEROUS without the guard, so I stretched mine a little!  :P 

Over the years I have always bought my cut-off wheels from H&M Abrasives, price and quality of their wheels are A+++++. Yes they are on eBay.  Very Happy 

http://www.hmabrasives.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

pLasma cutters Empty
PostSubject: Re: pLasma cutters   pLasma cutters Empty

Back to top Go down

pLasma cutters
Page 1 of 1