The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

deggasing a bottle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gadily

PostSubject: deggasing a bottle   Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:49 pm

well ive sen a few vids on the net and im wondering how you do yours

thoe not the best idea to have a fag in your gob

both of these illustrate a problem with valve removal so how do you do yours

ive today cut the top of around the valve stuck a crow bar in bottom of the bottle and stilsons on the valve one foot on the bottle a bit of support and banged hard upon the stilsons handle and after a few stamps the valve started to come off

however they dont come off sometimes breaking the valve ive seen drilling into the valve or via the video above so what ways do you suggest ?
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: deggasing a bottle   Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:45 am

I have just degasses two bottles. After discussing this with Bezman and DKwelder. On the first bottle I could not get the valve off, so I used a hack saw to cut it off. As the valve is brass it will not give off sparks. This left a small hole to fill with water. The second valve came off with the help of a friend. Then I left filled it with water and left it for a couple of days. Using a cordless drill I drilled a hole in the top 5" from the valve and the water flowed out. Tipping the tank I emptied the water out a bit more. Then I cut a large hole with an angle grinder. There were no flames or anything else exciting!  :) 
Hope this is of help

James
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: deggasing a bottle   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:46 am

James,

Glad to hear of your Success!  Very Happy cheers  None Excitement, in a task such as your, is a good thing. Very Happy

One good piece of added safety info to pass on with this would be. 100 repeated successfully Bombs defused, does not guarantee that tank No. 101, wont leave you wondering what you did wrong this time ?  

Repetition of a task safely, does not always guarantee ones own personal safety for the next time. :evil:
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: deggasing a bottle   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:58 am

ive just done 3 today degassed 2 before and added washing up liquid on a second fill of water the third bottle give me some trouble as i broke a little of the valve while trying to remove it i left that for a couple of weeks airing off until today was fine lit a piece of paper there was no flame at end after removing valve

cut all 3 of them using a stainless steel thin blade as gives off less sparks one big bottle into 2 halves and the other 15kg took the tops off them so gives me a 28" rocket height the other gives 2 24/26" height on that one

one ive already cut for the burn tube to slot into
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: deggasing a bottle   Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:54 am

gadily wrote:
well ive sen a few vids on the net and im wondering how you do yours

thoe not the best idea to have a fag in your gob

both of these illustrate a problem with valve removal so how do you do yours

ive today cut the top of around the valve stuck a crow bar in bottom of the bottle and stilsons on the valve one foot on the bottle a bit of support and banged hard upon the stilsons handle and after a few stamps the valve started to come off

however they dont come off sometimes breaking the valve ive seen drilling into the valve or via the video above so what ways do you suggest ?

I have never been one for spending much time in front of a TV,  :shock:  This first video  made me think of a program I once seen on Spike TV.

http://www.spike.com/shows/1000-ways-to-die

Safety is not a joking matter,and should not be taken lightly. Everyone is responsible for their own personal safety, I guess there will always be those people who feel differently! :sleep:
Back to top Go down
Josjor

PostSubject: Re: deggasing a bottle   Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:25 am

I would suggest you develop a good relationship with your local scrap yard. I get all my bottles from them with the valves already removed. When I've got a project coming up, I just ask them to keep an eye out for the size bottles I need and they call me when they've got some. They remove the valves and keep the brass, I get the rest really cheap.

I fill them up with water and pour it out. Once is really all it takes, though if you do it more times than that you can eventually get rid of the smell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: deggasing a bottle   

Back to top Go down

deggasing a bottle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Rocket Woodstove Forum :: Main :: Lounge-
Jump to: