The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

wood chip bales

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tim Keith

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 11:20 am

Straw bales are somewhat popular for alternative building, but straw is costly where I live. We have a lot of wood chips free for the hauling. How do you bale the wood chips? Can a hay baler be used?

I'd like to build a workshop. This type of construction appeals to me as it would be well insulated and quiet ( I might use power tools at night and not disturb the neighbors ).

Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Tim I have never heard of anyone using a baler to bale wood chips.
However I think I have some favorites videos on my youtube channel where some guys have figured out how to bond the chips into building blocks that can be cut and shaped for building structures.

They do not share their secret sauce.

🇳🇴 
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Some companies sell baled wood chips for landscaping. I don't often see baled straw for sale, and when I do its too costly for me use for a building project. In parts of the country where lots of wheat is grown straw is low cost.

I could use some heavy cardboard, place is in a form, then pack in wood chips, then tie with twine as a bundle. That might work but would be relatively loose. Some used 1/4-inch plywood might work okay. The biomass bale needs to maintain shape and be stackable.
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 9:20 pm

so just compressing them? no additive?
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:30 pm

The lignum in the wood become a type of glue when the heat builds up as the wood is put under pressure
Back to top Go down

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:52 pm

jameshookway wrote:
I found this

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US4036359

Much Larger Version of a small wood pellet !  :P
Back to top Go down

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Tim Keith wrote:
Straw bales are somewhat popular for alternative building, but straw is costly where I live.   We have a lot of wood chips free for the hauling.  How do you bale the wood chips?  Can a hay baler be used?

I'd like to build a workshop. This type of construction appeals to me as it would be well insulated and quiet ( I might use power tools at night and not disturb the neighbors ).

What type of alternative building with straw bales are you referring?  

I would think, that straw bales would be an open invitation for rodents ?  albino
Back to top Go down
Josjor

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 11:31 pm

dkwelder wrote:

What type of alternative building with straw bales are you referring?  

I would think, that straw bales would be an open invitation for rodents ?  albino

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw-bale_construction

Take a look at this link. The little church pictured there is only about 30 miles from my home and was built in 1928. They basically use the bales like big bricks and coat them with stucco/clay/whatever to seal them from the elements. Good construction method that's been around for thousands of years.
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 12:33 am

The bales are usually covered with stucco, but wood siding is sometimes used. The bales are treated for insects and mold with chemicals that are non toxic (to humans), ordinary baking soda can discourage mold etc. Straw bales sometimes have moisture and mold problems

I looked on craigslist and saw cheap plywood and dimensional lumber that was temporarily used in a recent building project. If I used biomass for insulation I might just make a thick wall. It is just an idea I'm kicking around. Lots of older building used sawdust for insulation. An 18 inch thick wall would also be quiet. If I did some work in the evenings the neighbors wouldn't hear me. Tightly packed bales are fire resistant, which is a good thing as most insurance companies won't cover this type of construction. This would be for a workshop heated by a rocket stove, also fueled by wood chips.

Back to top Go down

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 12:54 am

Josjor,

Thanks for sharing that link, I would have never guessed ? I was caught up in the 3 little pigs story! :P  I guess anything is possible.  Very Happy  cheers 

Here is a link, if you have never seen a house built from Conex containers, I have often considered something similar. The Red Neck Hillbilly, that I is!  rabbit  geek 

http://1stvillager.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/build-a-great-house-for-under-10000/

I have seen people in Alaska, take these same conex shipping contains and construct a workshop out of them. Just by spacing two singles or doubles stacked, apart and putting up trussed between them, with a solid wall in the back and sliding doors on the front. Cheap workshop with lots of storage !  Very Happy
Back to top Go down

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 12:58 am

Tim Keith wrote:
The bales are usually covered with stucco, but wood siding is sometimes used.  The bales are treated for insects and mold with chemicals that are non toxic (to humans), ordinary baking soda can discourage mold etc.  Straw bales sometimes have moisture and mold problems

I looked on craigslist and saw cheap plywood and dimensional lumber that was temporarily used in a recent building project. If I used biomass for insulation I might just make a thick wall.  It is just an idea I'm kicking around.  Lots of older building used sawdust for insulation.  An 18 inch thick wall would also be quiet. If I did some work in the evenings the neighbors wouldn't hear me.  Tightly packed bales are fire resistant, which is a good thing as most insurance companies won't cover this type of construction.  This would be for a workshop heated by a rocket stove, also fueled by wood chips.

Maybe some type of dug in earth home design? I have heard people talk about how easy they are to heat in the winter, and cool in the summer.  Idea

I didn't mean to set your topic post, a drift.

Last edited by dkwelder on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:00 am

Back to top Go down

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:05 am

jameshookway wrote:
How about these!

http://www.urban75.org/london/trinity-buoy-wharf-container-city-2.html

Just like a Bridge, You build it, and people will come to cross it !  :P  :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:24 am

The shipping containers are practical. I could use one of those.
Back to top Go down
Josjor

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 2:37 am

Unfortunately, as steel prices have gone up, so have the prices on used shipping containers. One of the civic groups I'm involved in was looking at getting one for storage. It turned out to be cheaper to just build a post building.
Back to top Go down

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 3:46 am

Josjor wrote:
Unfortunately, as steel prices have gone up, so have the prices on used shipping containers.  One of the civic groups I'm involved in was looking at getting one for storage.  It turned out to be cheaper to just build a post building.

Don't Talk to loud, The prices on those stick building like to keep going up as well! Not to mention, a good concrete slab and a metal roof over asphalt. Nothings cheap anymore. 🇳🇴
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 3:25 pm

That is high in my priority list as well, a container home with a twist, really, no hard right angles will be on the build so as to sustain high winds with no problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

wood chip bales Empty
PostSubject: Re: wood chip bales   wood chip bales Empty

Back to top Go down

wood chip bales
Page 1 of 1