The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My first rocket stove space heater

Go down 
+7
Bezman
Mr. Heater
mattinker
2ndburn
caotropheus
Hitchhiker
jameshookway
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jameshookway

jameshookway

My first rocket stove space heater Empty
PostSubject: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 3:25 am

I would firstly like to thank ppotty1 for his designs, as he inspired me to make a space heater. The stove is based on the back half of his stove with a detachable fire box which I am hoping to burn saw dust when it is installed in a friends workshop. The secondary air comes in between the two sections. The lid lifts off to enable cleaning.

My first rocket stove space heater DSC02242_zps80d890ce

My first rocket stove space heater DSC02244_zps1c8c218c

My first rocket stove space heater DSC02247_zps3d8d6869

My first rocket stove space heater DSC02246_zpsf4412ce0

My first rocket stove space heater DSC02245_zps80722540

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 3:38 am

Very Nice looking RS James !  Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 4:21 am

Thanks.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 4:48 am

dkwelder wrote:
Very Nice looking RS James !  Very Happy cheers

The time you have invested in your build, shows!  Very Happy  Its not a slammed together RS leaving you woundering if it going to Rocket correctly or not?  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 5:16 am

That is great. So the dust all burns in the first "bucket"? Is it a straight L tube to the second "barrel"?
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 5:24 am

Yes, I built it using ppotty,s plans
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 6:18 am

jameshookway wrote:
Yes, I built it using ppotty,s plans

Loz, has it going on,  Idea  :arrow: He knows a lot about many different things, because of his, having been there and done it !  study  Sure is nice to have a go to Guy like Loz, for that type of helpful knowledge!  Very Happy  cheers
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 4:08 pm

James

And when are we seeing a video of the stove working?
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Hopefully I will be lighting up on Monday, so early next week
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 8:18 pm

:) 

Hi James,
              I like the detachable fire box Idea, Will you have a separate fire box design for burning wood. :?: 
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 1:34 am

The idea is to be able to experiment with different fire boxes for different fuels. I think this box maybe too low. I have been thinking about using a car wheel to raise it.
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 1:35 am

The first photos. Video should be uploaded tomorrow.

My first rocket stove space heater RS1_zpsbcea28b6

My first rocket stove space heater DSC02248_zpsbec1344e

My first rocket stove space heater RS2_zps7c99c112

My first rocket stove space heater DSC02250_zps386b89a8

My first rocket stove space heater DSC02251_zps2baa3f60

There was a small amount of condensation for the chimney.

Unfortunately it was not smoke free. I am going to fire up again tomorrow. I try to get more secondary air in.
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 2:28 am

My total novice opinion is that there needs to be more air in the first cylinder. Is there secondary air in the first cylinder?   

*I haven't had a chance to check out ppotty's version.*
Back to top Go down
mattinker

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 2:37 am

jameshookway wrote:
The first photos. Video should be uploaded tomorrow.
There was a small amount of condensation for the chimney.

Unfortunately it was not smoke free. I am going to fire up again tomorrow. I try to get more secondary air in.

I'll be following this with great interest!!

Regards, Matthew
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 4:23 am

Hitchhiker wrote:
My total novice opinion is that there needs to be more air in the first cylinder.  Is there secondary air in the first cylinder?   

*I haven't had a chance to check out ppotty's version.*

I fired the stove with the lid closed and open. It did not seam to make much difference. The secondary comes in between the two cylinders.
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 4:55 am

Hi James,
It maybe that your secondary air is not hot enough and the sawdust may have to much moisture.
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 5:00 am

The secondary air is flowing around the centre pipe where the flames are passing through and also the heat from the second cylinder is helping to heat it, so I do not know else I could increase the heat. I do not know how damp the sawdust is as I did not supply it and it was outside in a plastic bag under cover.
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 5:05 am

Hi James,
Was the draw strong. Did the smoke go away as it became hotter?
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 5:12 am

The draw was fairly strong, but it did not go away when it was hot. The only thing I can think of is how the sawdust burnt. It started strong with the flames going down, but as the sawdust burn away it was glowing and there were no flames. I am going to try this fire box with wood instead of saw dust. Also I have had another idea for the fire box were the pipe going into the RS where goes down in the centre first then does a right angle into the RS
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 5:30 am

Ok James.
Post some videos when you can.
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 5:32 am

Will do  :) 
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 5:41 am

It looks like the hole through the sawdust is smaller (about 1/4 the size) than your primary air pipe. That may be choking off the primary air. Maybe just a larger hole through the sawdust the same size as the primary air pipe will fix it.

Also, the hole in the top of the firebox lid may be too small. I would make it as large as the primary air intake pipe to the heater. You can always put a damper on it to slow down the air intake (burn).
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 6:15 am

Hi Mr,
The hole will become bigger as it burns, but I think it would be something simple to put it right.
It maybe that there is too much secondary air or that air is coming in from somewhere else, making for a weaker draw would not pull enough air in through the fire box and would account for the smoke.
When James posts a video we may see what the problem is.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 6:24 am

I would suggest taping up the secondary air holes with foil tape to see what happens. Those look like a major air leak affecting the draw from the chimney into the firebox.
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 6:36 am

Hi, Yes I agree It can't do any harm, it's all about trial and error.
ppotty1 would be the guy to advise on this build as he has a very similar stove.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove space heater   My first rocket stove space heater Empty

Back to top Go down

My first rocket stove space heater
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next