The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA

Go down 
+2
madasafish
tritowns
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tritowns

gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA Empty
PostSubject: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 1:02 am

Some of the fellows on the yahoo group have been working on an open top system with pretty good results so far.

here is their blog location [url= www.thedrizzler.org/]www.thedrizzler.org/[/url]

Pascal has ran his 5000 watt Honda genset off it as well as a 1.6 L VW engine set up for co gen.

Back to top Go down
madasafish

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 5:54 am

Nice Find!
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 am

they are a good bunch of guys and gave me permission to share this work...

I'll probably make a test bed at some point... a reliable feed system that can handle varying loads will be the trick. once that is figured out there is no reason to have a gasifier with nozzles. other than, i already have several... :)
Back to top Go down
madasafish

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Having reviewed all the videos's from Luk Vanhauwaert (LukoTop) and Pascal Kirchner (The DriZzleR) and spent most of my evening reading google translate german from the forum they use, this simple modification is causing quite a stir. The quality of the gas is better with far lower/nearly zero tar build up with a better efficiency of wood use to power output using a less complex design. It's win,win,win.

It surprises me (and them) that no one has done this before.

It's good stuff!
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:45 am

it has been done before.... just not documented on youtube. while the gasifier is much simpler to build, feeding this so that it can work with a varying engine load will be the trick

I have some idea's how i'd do it but i have yet to put one of these together so i'm watching with much optimism at what eveyone else will come up with.

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyThu May 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyThu May 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyThu May 29, 2014 3:06 pm

tritowns you are awesome man, thanks for sharing the great find!
It is right on time for me to consider before doing my build.

I am stoked about getting started on mine, especially after watching that fella drive a 400 cubic engine with his in that Lincoln.

I have a 360 I need to power in my 1999 Dodge Ram, man it will be great to drive on down the road for pretty much free, where we are at we can get dump loads of wood chip material for free.

Will have to work out a drying system for it because most of it is green.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyThu May 29, 2014 3:38 pm

With the drizzle system one should be able to create a self feeding system that can be programmed using an ardunio set up.

The issue I see to over come would be operating it while driving down the road, would have to set it up for the air to feed and not be smothered out by rain.

One could close the top all together, pipe in a massive five or six inch pipe that shoots over to the side 90 degrees, then back down along the outside another 90 degrees this would give the ability to run in the rain.

I really like this drizzle idea.

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyThu May 29, 2014 10:47 pm

I'm thinking wiper motor... a depth probe... micro switch... one shot relay... to control an auger set up... I'll get something done up in the future.

Very much like the pyrotouch Luc's friend Pascal uses... just in some ways more simple... and all off the shelf easy to locate parts... no programming involved.

Greg Manning is working on a topless, throatless, mobile system as we speak... says you'll hardly be able to tell it's even on the truck... can't wait to see what he comes up with. He says once its ready he'll release the plans for it at free of charge
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyFri May 30, 2014 9:17 am

a wiper motor would have the torque however its a car battery usage

if looking at a motor then work out its rpm per minute and get a motor around this equasion

ive seen 6rpm 10rpm 20rpm all with high torque low voltage

baldor motors work as low as those numbers above so does the leesons and a few others then all you would need is a timer and a lighter which is already upon the forums

with varying loads a sugestion a vibrator at the sides would create setterling of the wood into a uniformed load therefore the output would be constant
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyFri May 30, 2014 9:23 am

Back to top Go down
madasafish

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyFri May 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Excellent stuff....Luc has taken the time to simplify the build so even newbie's like me can try. Interesting that he believes this little gasifier can power a 6KW generator.

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptySat May 31, 2014 2:17 am

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptySat May 31, 2014 2:18 am

Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptySat May 31, 2014 2:38 am

tritowns wrote:
I'm thinking wiper motor... a depth probe... micro switch... one shot relay... to control an auger set up... I'll get something done up in the future.

Very much like the pyrotouch Luc's friend Pascal uses... just in some ways more simple... and all off the shelf easy to locate parts... no programming involved.

Greg Manning is working on a topless, throatless, mobile system as we speak... says you'll hardly be able to tell it's even on the truck... can't wait to see what he comes up with. He says once its ready he'll release the plans for it at free of charge

Good deal man on Greg Manning!
Also I agree fully the idea of the wiper motor depth probe, pretty simple setup, I would have never thought of it in a million years.

This is really exciting stuff man.

Again thanks for contributing like you have.

This is how development accelerates exponentially by being open with the work.

The way I figure it, you still can develop a business and remain open source.

The battle to remain open source begins when you really start discovering radical advancements.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Back to top Go down
JDRay

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 1:59 pm

So, can someone help me understand why this setup is better than a GEK-type gasifier with the fire at the bottom? In the "learning" video, he says it doesn't have the "complication" of the filter or vortex. But then, in order to get it to operate without someone standing there throwing handfuls of chips into it, there's this complicated setup that involves wiper motors, feed chutes, and a bunch of other things I don't understand. And there are a couple of other buckets that look suspiciously like a vortex and a filter bucket.

The guys at AllPowerLabs have demonstrated (will sell you, for that matter) a "PowerTainer" that is built into a shipping container, designed to provide 20 kW of electricity 24x7 as long as you feed it fuel, one hopper load per day (the hopper is half the 20' container). Their website has all the drawings and plans you need, plus a community of people full of advice, to build your own gasifier from scratch, top fed with no augers, wiper motors, or anything.

So, I'm confused. How is this better?

Cheers.

JD
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:10 am

well, 20kW Power Pallet is $29,995-$39,995, while fully automated is kinda complicated in it's self. How much would that powertrainer be?

I don't recall anyone saying a drizzler was better.. it's just another means to an end. the automation for a drizzler style gasser can be rather simple you just have to build it that way...

personally I build my own designs and they work as good as any others, soooooo...

Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 pm

tritowns wrote:

I'd like to see a wood gas generator that is integrated into a custom flatbed so it is mostly hidden. The load deck of flatbeds is higher - over the wheel arches. That space below is sometimes utilized for toolbox and other storage, but generally not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA   gasifier - the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA Empty

Back to top Go down

the drissler - open top gasifier... not a FEMA
Page 1 of 1