The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what wood to burn

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gadily

burn - what wood to burn  Empty
PostSubject: what wood to burn    burn - what wood to burn  EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 am

i havent seen this mentioned here so im asking

i know of the clean wood to burn this comes in multiform

chipwood, wood shavings

pine, oak, birch, softwood, hardwood

so what else can you burn in a stove

osb board
plywood
chipboard

however i am aware of possible fumes or extra build up of creasote and possible damage to the wood burner over a period of time if other wood is used to burn

also depends on your available wood that you can get
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: what wood to burn    burn - what wood to burn  EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Just use simple plain wood... :| pretty dull, I know...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what wood to burn    burn - what wood to burn  EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 5:09 pm

Gadily,

First link below, puts building type lumber on the do not burn list, of different material not to burn in stoves.

Second link, is of an Air Curtain Burner, I stumbled across this while researching different types of waste wood incinerators.

The Higher temperatures used in the incineration process of hazardous waste materials, is the first step in destroying such waste. Next you need an exhaust scrubber to help remove the hazardous toxins, from the smoke being released into the air.

Like caotropheus mentioned, plain wood.  Very Happy  cheers          

http://www.swcleanair.org/properuse.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo4K1dM2GH4
Back to top Go down
woodrascal

PostSubject: Re: what wood to burn    burn - what wood to burn  EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 8:43 am

I'm using a lot of bits collected from the garden in my workshop rocket stove at the moment - twigs/small branches/raspberry canes/etc. Most of the stuff is dead prunings but if they are a little damp I dry them off near the stove for a day or so.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: what wood to burn    burn - what wood to burn  EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 2:32 am

i understand to use clean wood but others dont

however i am old school and the amount of times ive burnt this that and the other within a wood burner or open fire you would be surprised the things that you do to keep warm as you get for free

however i have been asked if the rocket burner can burn mdf, chipboard, plywood the answer would be yes but you would have more fumes and more arsenic when your cleaning out

certain woods are a pure no no

treated wood, wood fencing, decking, stained wood, painted wood but all of these have been burnt via an open fire or wood burner certain wood used can damage your wood burner much more quickly but with cost is it worth doing so when you can replace the wood burner easily with rocket stoves yes would be the answer cheap enough to create another with factory made wood burners no as they are high costs anyway

the chimney sweeping is another factor as flue fires do happen

the final but comes down to can you afford to get clean wood vs bad wood if the matter comes down too keeping warm then most wood go for bad wood
Back to top Go down
woodrascal

PostSubject: Re: what wood to burn    burn - what wood to burn  EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 3:22 am

I may be wrong here (!) but I think that most well designed rockets have a much higher combustion temperature than open fires and indeed, many 'conventional' wood stoves. This high temp combustion will probably get rid of some of the nasties given off by burning 'bad' fuel.

However, we really owe it to our neighbours and the planet, to try and avoid burning bad stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what wood to burn    burn - what wood to burn  EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 4:00 pm

woodrascal wrote:
However, we really owe it to our neighbours and the planet, to try and avoid burning bad stuff.

I couldn't agree with you more !  cheers  No different then burring or dumping toxic waste on the ground, then question why the water isn't safe to drink. :x  🇳🇴 

A person don't need to jump on the back of any environmental band wagon, to make better choices in helping old mother earth out. As much as I enjoy cutting and burning wood for cheap heat, I also try to do my part in planting a variety of young trees for local wildlife etc.  Very Happy  cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what wood to burn    burn - what wood to burn  Empty

Back to top Go down

what wood to burn
Page 1 of 1