The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hitchhiker

oven - Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor Empty
PostSubject: Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor   oven - Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 6:56 am

This is kind of silly but the tandoor shows you the heat retention possibilities of ordinary brick/clay.  I basically made a brick box and smoked some ribs over coals.  I am actually thinking of doing this again sometime and sealing the box with some sort of cheap homemade mortar. The box also needs to be bigger than this first attempt.

Last edited by Hitchhiker on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor   oven - Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 7:02 am

I called it a rocket stove because I noticed how the bricks from the risers were retaining the heat. I wondered why no one had ever thought of using the riser as an oven.
Back to top Go down
Josjor

PostSubject: Re: Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor   oven - Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 8:01 am

Not to be harsh or anything, but 11 seconds of a stack of bricks doesn't really tell us what you're doing or trying to share. Got some more?
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor   oven - Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 8:11 am

No, that is cool.  I said it was rather silly.  It is a brick box with hot coals (heated beforehand in the box), wood chips, and a tin of water on the bottom.  Halfway up is a metal grid holding pork loin ribs.  I smoked the ribs for about 6 hours at a constant temperature of around 200.  I based this box on the Tandoor, a clay pot used for cooking.  I had been grilling with the basic brick rocket stove and noticed how hot the interior bricks stayed over time.  I figured why not try to cook inside the riser like a tandoor.

This is a basic example of the heat retention of clay.  There has been some discussion of clay bricks, fire bricks, and mass in general on a couple of threads.  I wanted to show how clay stores heat.  Like I said, pretty stupid but if the world came to an end, then I would always have a way to smoke some food.   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Josjor

PostSubject: Re: Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor   oven - Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 8:16 am

Not stupid at all. I'd like to see how you've got things arranged inside there.

Ever cook a hog in a pit? Sort of the same principal, but you dig a pit, put the charcoal down on the floor, put the whole hog on a rack in the pit, and cover the whole thing up for about 12 hours. Delish! I've done the same thing above ground using cinder blocks.
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor   oven - Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 10:36 pm

Now you made me hungry!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor   oven - Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor Empty

Back to top Go down

Brick Oven Rocket Stove Tandoor
Page 1 of 1