The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

welding protection safety

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gadily

welding protection safety Empty
PostSubject: welding protection safety   welding protection safety EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 6:01 am

ive used a multitude of stuff in my life and im one to speak on safety when doing stuff using grinders and welders

over the years ive progressed from not wearing them to actually wearing some sort of safety gear

with grinders i still have a bad habbit of not getting the goggles out thoe i have them most of the time i dont bother with them and im a glasses wearer to boot the only thing that made me get a pair of goggles whilst grinding was my lenses are now of the plastic sort hence why i bought a pair my previous glasses was glass and large enough to stop most particles hitting the glass and bouncing off them though i admit some some did get past them and get in the eye that needed to be washed out

with welding i have a pair of flip up goggles low on the rating but has done me well over the years as i learnt it though ive ended up with many a face tan from the arc welder and now from the mig welder

i have ended up using a full face welding mask a tilt up one and it has the dark shade around 8/9 last check i did i have got a little fed up with lowering the welding helmet and through advise have bought a new one thats auto darkness

im now getting a new mask so have gone not only for the 9-13 range but it also has another range to be used with it 5-8 range so if ever i decide i can use a plasma cutter

this is the type ive gone for on welding mask

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTO-DARKENING-WELDING-HELMET-WELDERS-MASK-Solar-Powered-H8-718G-/390623669933?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&var=&hash=item5af2fc2ead

the version ive gone for also users a cheater lense so as i wear glasses i can insert a lens magnifier into them and still see through the mask as time goes on

sooner or later im going to pick up some leathers as this will help my clothes from been damaged  by sparks or other stuff

http://www.weldingtypes.net/welding-helmets/
Back to top Go down
Josjor

PostSubject: Re: welding protection safety   welding protection safety EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Safety, safety, safety!

I'm an eyeglass wearer myself and I still use goggles. Even with glass lenses, a little shower of sparks from the grinder embeds stuff in the glass itself. Without goggles over the top of the glasses you soon find that the surface of your glass lenses feel like 80 grit sandpaper........that you have to look through until you get new glasses. : ( Nowadays I keep my old set of glasses and use them in the shop, even behind the safety goggles.

I've had an auto-darkening welding shield for years now. Don't know how I ever did without it before. They're getting cheaper all the time and well worth the investment.

I don't wear leathers. Too hot. Long welding gloves and lightweight coveralls, for the most part.

Boots, fellas. Boots. Nothing like deciding you'll do a quick weld while wearing tennis shoes and then having a spark go through those nylon pieces of footwear. By the time you set down the welder, take off your gloves, and try to untie your laces (after adding new colors to the tapestry of profane language!), it's too late. Ouch!!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: welding protection safety   welding protection safety EmptyWed May 07, 2014 8:46 pm

like josjor said ive been using the auto darkening helmet now for a while

a, is much better to weld with
b, i can weld then see then weld again

im not going back to dark pull down lenses now as auto darkening helmet is well worth its money but as in the one above i get 4 uses out of it

grinding setting
gas welding/plasma cutter  settings 5/8
mig welding and arc settings
cheater lens for those that where glasses or need to further improve there eyes

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t86-mig-welding

also try this my aid your welding like it did with mine once you are aware how to weld its really different

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: welding protection safety   welding protection safety EmptyThu May 22, 2014 8:45 am

well i have to post this lol

was grinding other day getting things ready for welding and doing other welding jobs that i want to finish off

i got a little bounce off with sparks so shifted the thing the sparks was bouncing off of

a little latter threw something out as no longer needing it and something started to bug my right eye next day eye was sore as hell and had to soak it often to keep it cool washed it out with saline solution and ended up with a gammy eye i get it from time to time

next day eye is not as sore and has cooled down a bit achy but definatley not as sore and thats today

i cant weld or grind for the moment i know better not to do but hoping this friday that i can get going again if no trip to eye doctors is needed
Back to top Go down
Paul Lancs

PostSubject: Re: welding protection safety   welding protection safety EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Oh dear

These things happen, although they never should.

You should always wear goggles for any grinding - either angle-grinding, bench-grinding, belt-linishing or whatever. You should wear them at the drill press too and when working on lathes, though I rarely do with these latter two.

I have a good pair of wrap-around grinding glasses that I like, with rather large bug-eye lenses. They're convenient because you can flip them up onto your head like celebrities do with sunglasses - that way you're not always looking for them because you forgot where they are. That's always when you decide to skip using them and get something in your eye.

I've had about 25 (?) bits of metal (and grindstone particles) in my eyes over 28 years. Probably twenty eight bits then. Maybe even 56. About 6 or 7 of them have ended up at hospital because I couldn't dig or flush them out. A few of them (only a few) have been removed quickly with an iron will and a steady hand. I've used moistened cotton buds and carefully sanded matchsticks, softened in water. Lots more have stayed in hours and usually overnight (uncomfortable) but if you're lucky they flush out with tears and early morning eye moisture. Much beyond that and you're off to hospital. There, they dig out it with a big needle! So wear goggles.

If it's a tiny piece of grindstone, or aluminium or anything else non-ferrous, then it's non-magnetic. I don't know if that's worse but I always think it is. Magnetic needles at hospital surely? Oops, it's aluminium. I once had a piece of aluminium in my eye that somehow came out immediately at hospital or just before I arrived. But it left a stain on the retina from oxidation and it looked like there was still something there. They were scratching away at my eye with a needle - at nothing!

I reckon that virtually every occasion where I've skipped goggles and ended up with an eye particle, is because I forgot where I put them and I can't find them, and you're in the middle of a job and you want to crack on.... Of course I have more than one pair and they're scattered about but somehow when you're looking for some.....! Better to keep a pair on your head, where you can.

Never wear gloves working on a drill press or a lathe or anything else rotating. Other than those latex gloves maybe.

Always wear a welding gauntlet (on the non trigger hand) and a full face shield if using one of these fairly modern wire cup brushes for the angle grinder. They are a fearsomely effective tool for de-rusting, and even polishing a little. They spin a lot faster than the equivalent wire cups for a hand-drill and are more brutal. I use one a lot on fresh forged iron while still black hot. But they can easily kick back or run away because you tend to be rotating them about into all the nooks and crannies and different planes and a second across your hand or into your face would be critical. Even a standard glove might not be enough and the wrist is bared too. A big red welding gauntlet is better. Goggles are not enough either. The wires that come off them, now and then, also would ruin an eye. These are one of the most dangerous common tools about now and I've seen them used nonchalantly. They have a far bigger danger of kick-back than even an angle grinder as standard - with a grinding disc fitted.

Never do arc or MIG welding without a full face shield. TIG welding even more so. It will fry your face. Chest and neck can be badly sunburnt too, especially in summer and so with looser clothing. Or in rocket-stove workshops at 25 degrees C. Very Happy Good condition cotton overalls are best, with good fastening ability up to the neck. You don't have to have them fastened up all the time, but when welding, it's not a big deal to do so. Lots of pockets too. A good pair that you keep washed regularly should last a couple of years at least.

Wear goggles. Be careful with those wire cup brushes on the angle grinder.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: welding protection safety   welding protection safety EmptyFri Feb 20, 2015 8:27 am

thanks for your info paul

ive already caught a nice sunburn from the welders a few times already lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: welding protection safety   welding protection safety Empty

Back to top Go down

welding protection safety
Page 1 of 1