The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

an idea rocket forge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gadily

PostSubject: an idea rocket forge   Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:42 am

i have something from you tube using a different method for melting metal by using a crucible however on its design i see that it could be used with a rocket burner vortex flame

so here goes an idea
using the method of a rocket burner with a vortex the better the vortex the more it will move up the pipe however if turned on its side would it still do the same illustrated in the pic below

now we know that we can hit 900f but if a door was at the end would it still do the same and how much more tinkering could be done with it however it would need a safety lever to throw the flames elsewhere and not still direct at you

i can test this with my builds to see if the flames would still vortex down the pipe if turned on the side and post a video of it doing so as i think it would help

the crucible would be at end of pipe the smaller the better but would still allow it to vortex along you would need some sort of stainless steel plate area to rest the metal upon while it gets hot and then a door at the end of it before finally exiting up the chimney

i think it can be done this way all depends on how much air and the vortex it creates
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: an idea rocket forge   Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:50 am

Like a Star @ heaven 
Hi gadily, cool but I'm having trouble with your interpretation.

For a rocket stove/heater to run efficiently the heat needs to expand, it needs more space, somewhere to go, if you put a smaller chimney as you show in your pic, you will choke it / slow it down.

So the Problem you come to when you try to build a forge using the rocket concept is containing the high temp in one place to heat up steel.
I would think you will need to target the hottest part of the "J tube",
Then enlarge it, line it with high temp ceramic tiles, and insulate the outside.
Concentrate/direct the heat from the fire box, ie the exhaust design you describe "using a vortex",
at a set point, the point where you will be placing the steel to be heated.

This is I think where you are talking about using your vortex idea?

For all this to work I think it may well need to have a fan in the riser, because of the mass expansion of heat, it has to go somewhere! fast!.. or have a massive tall chimney?

The wood will need to be very dry and high energy value. big fire box.

Maybe you could "down draft" onto the steel?

I might have a go at building one when I have completed the " Rocket heater " I'm currently working on!

Have you had time to look at it? What do you think of this build so far? :Bob.

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: an idea rocket forge   Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:06 am

this is the video i can see potential via melting stuff using the vortex instead of a direct upflow in if however i think its possible to adapt it another way

Back to top Go down
2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: an idea rocket forge   Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:29 am

Like a Star @ heaven 
Yes yes

I know he is using gas but

1st you can see he is coming in from the right spinning the flame round the crucible, this I think might passible ..can be achieved with a rocket j tube ..Maybe? : Bob
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: an idea rocket forge   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:05 am

30 secs it states no gas line fitted and the only thing you can hear is air line from blower i suspect theres something else like coal nearest the blower pipe

other pipe looks more like an air line to it
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: an idea rocket forge   Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:21 am

heres the answer its a no unless you can feed wood constantly and that you have an air feed blowing behind it then it will vortex up the pipe as i noticed between the smoke

https://www.dropbox.com/s/exmx1imzme8gekg/VIDEO0018.3gp?dl=0

Last edited by gadily on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: an idea rocket forge   Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:56 pm

i spoted this thoe it does use a blower but it is sideways on and spins in a vortex
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

PostSubject: Re: an idea rocket forge   Fri May 09, 2014 7:12 pm

An old method to melt iron is to use charcoal. Layer charcoal and iron and then burn with forced air. This will melt iron but its not recommended for aluminum as the aluminum is reactive and will combine with the ash, whereas lime is used as a flux for melting iron. I'd like to use waste oil and a graphite crucible to melt aluminum, or as some say aluminium
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: an idea rocket forge   

Back to top Go down

an idea rocket forge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1