The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dyno V stove update.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
T2H
Admin
T2H

stove - Dyno V stove update. Empty
PostSubject: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Here is a video update on my Dyno V stove build, I am almost finished.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 8:35 pm

nice build a couple of things

its a shame about one of the doors been dead centre of the round i think it maybe a problem during full use as with your previous video the main fire would hit that door i would have thought i like the chimney sweep door good idea however with knowledge of cleaning out chimneys id have liked a little round part underneath nothin better than tieing a bag on end of it and all soot goes in the bag less mess and less dust generated

i like the v knobs control but i think in time you may change to a b type like a clock winding control
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Nice progress on the stove. I do not think you need gaskets for the air controls. Use gaskets for all the doors and cleanouts but the air controls seem to close very tight.

Nice steel you have around your working area.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 9:25 pm

on reflection of thinking as a suggestion id advise that you put a lock or weld on the secondary control so it will not close but is adjustable however i could be wrong

the reason why im suggesting this is if that closes off does it smoke up the chimney as this is the one thing that no body wants to happen if caused by errors by people a lock or weld would stop this from happening
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptySun May 11, 2014 2:01 pm

I did another test with the gaskets installed and I was not happy with the btu production of the pellet basket so I have made some modifications which I hope will perform well.

Testing will be done as soon as we have a dry day.

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 6:46 am

i liked this version enough that i built it up however i did a hybrid mixed with ss and steel the ss on the underside and also internal parts both for less weight in there design but also easier to bend into shape

i wouldnt change the top steel as i want the heat to go somewhere which is upwards and outwards from the system it still needs a reflective base as still hot from underneath

trying2hard it has been well discussed with yourself your more than welcome to release it upon youtube with my consent to do so

pics will be shown later

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140627

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140628

due to that i wanted it to jet out i changed it therefore cutting off secondary air
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5tg78dctcpfyzal/20140622_222154.mp4

retest after the change
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjhuv6aggaa4avw/20140623_220306.mp4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssm8m394yibitvd/20140623_223651.mp4

as this one joins to the one above i was doing 2 tests of 2 different wood burners
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovu4pujg3b9jtwm/20140624_220027.mp4

heres my smokeless burn times i clock about 3 mins for being smokeless
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7d3rqr0j4z72ia/20140625_212539.mp4
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Well Gadily I got to see it before you posted it, have to say well done and I like your additions.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyMon Jun 30, 2014 10:21 am

i forgot to post this pic up this is the wood used in the last test the light brown ones and the pine looking ones no idea whats the coating on them

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140631

i hope you all liked seeing the secondary air mix flame but couldnt weld up until id tested a change that id done that failed so cut it out the reason why my flame dips in the tunnel is that the corner piece is welded all the way around i had hopped this add on in that area would heat up the secondary air even more as it went around the corner above the flames

theres further addons yet hence the reason why my secondary air is on left side as intend to use the heat from that corner to super heat the secondary air before it enters the burn chamber this plate is also being used for the door hinges or door catch

at moment tidying up the woodburner before final pictures/video of testing being posted
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 11:50 pm

ive edited what was here before these images are of a clean up and polish of the metal tops

this pic shows the gap i was trying to use with slow burn but it smokes

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140716

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140717

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140718

the video of around the system

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zou41q70e7cdwh/20140705_211304.mp4?dl=0

just one burn created these marks

this pic is the gap i ended up with at border line between smoking and smokeless
stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140719

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140720

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140721

video of all around the system please note i normally dont talk on videos due to privacy reasons

https://www.dropbox.com/s/me85cvvbri557y8/20140708_101955.mp4?dl=0

my rough calculation of secondary heat if at 700f cold air hitting it the leaving air should be 700f i think its half that as the secondary air goes into the burn box its further heated ( burnbox heat 4/500f ) i Quote 900f of the secondary air i think its more at 500f when hiting the fire bur i dont know the calculations for it

heat output very hot on secondary plate for fingers to quick touch/sweep on metal same with top and sides

my heatplate also holds the hinges of the door or may do other way around as havent decided to do

Last edited by gadily on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 9:06 pm

updated by a clean of the metal and a first burn pics and video of the system

ive just got my hinges for both systems as just arrived so im building and finishing the doors up now last pics are of a firing and the complete build pics and video
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Very cool gadily, I like your take on the stove and I really like the shape of your stove.
I realize I have not done any temp tests running stick wood in mine.

This is due to the main reason being my client wants to burn pellets in it.

I should at least do a good test run with sticks and get some temp readings.

Nice work man.
Thanks for sharing your work, ideas and a big thanks for your contributions to the forum in all the threads you have posted.

That is a pretty darn good time in going smokeless from start up!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 7:57 pm

temperature tests with pine wood used total burn time 25-30 minutes the wood used in the picture above

3 top up loads of wood as a small fire box

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iotw21gv090i05z/20140717_233005.mp4

info this is as the system is warming up from cold there is breaks whilst loading of 1 min rough the first part is in F after 10.00 its in C 15.24 i place a glass over front door plate unsealed with a gap at left edge of glass of 2-3mm

first load 2.26 second load 6.36 3rd load 15.25 these are just top up loads whilst testing vid shows top up of used wood

as i can measure my secondary air temp i can quote 300-330C its the round L shaped piece at back of system the whole top of it is only secondary air area illustrated in the above pictures, hence why my flames drop down when videoing it from the front ( drawback is its smokes a little at start up of system at door point )
at mixing point its 422C where both flame and secondary air mix about 3-4" after secondary air input
300C at tip of join of metal for secondary heating of the air at front panel

at 12.40 i take readings at the back of the system the first start of the laser is bottom of the round vortex pipe my half round at top i get better readings on heat i clock about 360-380C at this point

edited and added pics to post

this is the view from the above first full burn the steel has turned a bluey grey due to the heat this view is without the flue added onto it, the exit chimney is 4" and the flue is 5"

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140726

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140722

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140723

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140724

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140725

Last edited by gadily on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 7:56 am

final pics to my build of the dyno v the system is complete now except the glueing of the rope on the system rope used to illustrate where it goes and the seal around the system

secondary air input at side of primary air input cut so is at the back of the system instead at the side

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140729

view of primary input

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140730

views of the whole system

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140731

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140732

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140733

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140734

ive used the tabs method to hold one side of the glass in place the tabs are done in ss as they was spare scrap anyway  the other side is the same just screwed down so glass can be replaced

if you choose this method to hold your glass know your size of glass and your rope then bend metal 1.5mm lower so you can push in your glass and have a tight fit you will make mistakes as i did so
stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140735

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140736

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140737

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140738

ive used the t bar for control knob for primary air however i did incorporate where the system does not close fully on primary air there is a 2-3mm gap for primary air underneath

secondary air is left wide open

im undecided weather i should create an ash bed area in the system but this can be used with wood or soon to be add with pellets as well

i will be adding 2 daylight videos both done as main tests also to see if any difference is between each burn one will be using ppottys real life tests the other just a standared burn also including the temperatures of each tests
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 10:47 am

test 1 long burn about 2hrs with some not included like the connifer logs been burnt i suspected they was green and unsure how long drying they had

wood used in the burn
stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140631

i had help with kids and wanted to load camera had a few mistakes and was deleted on recordings by the looks of it this is unchecked unedited uploads of first burn of fully built system also testing of the primary air control

i have an audiance of kids and adults one has been in trouble for lighting fires id rather learn them the legal way of burning fires with the interests of what maybe the future

34 mins just after start up of system
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgvphexeup7i1yu/20140722_154504.mp4

15/20 min break of video the day is red hot im cooking in the heat and testing a wood burner

33 mins
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7ld2ksgnkbn2dq/20140722_163419.mp4

hard wood table legs thrown in the system with vanish and wood stain from an old wood table

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1ef8wwalwl9g81/20140722_174118.mp4

cool down of system stopped loading down to coals 5.50pm

7pm test
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxg9w2s8mn0l76z/20140722_185618.mp4

8pm test
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqox4mrvkyuoz73/20140722_195925.mp4

test stopped and coals tipped out of the system at end of this video above

has been edited to roughly the correct times

Last edited by gadily on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Looks good gadily, sounds like to me you were enjoying your little stove:>)

It looks like it performs quite well.

That was a good idea to show the kids how to properly use fire, that could be a bad deal if they try starting them in places that could get out of hand.

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 1:10 am

from my looking it performed well enough to me had some problems but that was a first burn with controls and sealed door in usage for the first time so it meant i was on a learning curve as well there nothin better building something out of nothin then trying to use it for what its intended for ive enjoyed building the dyno v up as much as i have enjoyed testing it out

i found at certain times the coals had stacked up to the roof and was cutting the air off spreading these coals out did help for some more being loading some coals had to be pulled out hence why some coals are on the floor below it

also on testing with the connifer log unknown on dry or wet it just turned to coals underneath and smoked like hell i found using a mix of pine with logs aided in the fire being created around it i also found the same with the hardwood table posts with vanish on them the vanish would light then it would turn to coals again was a swine to catch light unless a mix of wood was used then lit loverly

the last ash pile was tipped out and was heat tested on pooring out the coals was at 260F still

with the kids one has already started fires in places that they shouldnt i thought that was a much better way to show of a legal way to burn and not get into trouble for it

the prices i quote is uk prices for gas

as you notice my system is low profile sort by design but also by the materials i could lay my hands on by there price the primary air entrance is 1 1/2" reduced at sides but further reduced by the nut inside rough reckoning size of 3/4 pipe or slightly above that

i choose to do the long method as could do alot more tests that could be shown on different settings and how it starts up
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:11 pm

t2h i know that we both have built this version and im just wondering here what would really happen if we turned it on its side

have you tried this approach or not as i havent but soon will do im curious if it would have the same approach and if it may have a different reading as i see it it has a bell effect upon the top but with it being so small could be turned for more or less improvement with its design its a bit windy here for me to test it yet but im curious of what will happen

or even upside down as then it becomes a downdraft system if anything im more curious of its effects on the dyno v system with it being so small however with yours having the doors you should be able to light a small fire to get it sucking through on a downdraft system better

as I dont think either of us have tried it with different approaches to this build of the dyno v
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 8:54 pm

this is a side ways test of the dyno v last night wind speed at 00.20 i reckon 10/15 mph

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140810

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140811

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140812

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20140813

this is last nights test 40 mins total time
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpcf68nc2rnha8q/20140820_003906.mp4

12 mins to get it going to temp then noticed the unit was glowing red underneath had no door on for quick loading put door on then inserted door seal on door as still not glued yet total time for this roughly 18 mins before video started

video shows unit was glowing red hot

these are the numbers of temps between flat and vertical of the dyno v system

places             t2h      unf     dc,       flat  ,  vertical   ,un vertical
sa                  352c ..........,338c .....,350c   , 350c    ,361c
front              280c   ,415c ,274c.....,280c   , 300c    ,140c
3/4                ................................,149c   , 167c    ,141c
chimney         150c .........................,114c   , 276c    ,286c
center            215c .........................,207c   , 268c    ,265c
join sa front   370c .........................,292c     ,290c   , 349c

from my readings there is a temp difference between how the model is situated

Last edited by gadily on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 2:39 pm

I tell you what Gadily those are some pretty impressive temps, and to think you can turn it on its side and use it as a heater only with an incredibly small foot print.

I would have never thought of laying it on its side.:>)
You have me hunting down stainless steel now!
I think you are having wayyy to much fun:>)
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 3:14 am

an update on its weight with my dyno v

managed to get a weighing scales with both kg and lbs instead of stones which would be the normal for weighing people upon it

stove - Dyno V stove update. 20141210

edited

tested the system via boiling 1 litre of water within a kettle

total time from lighting 35 mins kettle placed on system 10 mins later 20 mins to boil the water
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dyno V stove update.   stove - Dyno V stove update. Empty

Back to top Go down

Dyno V stove update.
Page 1 of 1