The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Air Control Valves

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffJetisoned

Air Control Valves Empty
PostSubject: Air Control Valves   Air Control Valves EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 10:39 am

I was wondering if anybody has had any luck trying to purchase air control valves? I have seen a couple homemade versions, one in which you weld three peices of round bar to a nut and weld the other end of the round bar to a 2 or 3 inch pipe. Today I plasma cut a three bladed fan shaped peice of 3/8 s that was slightly smaller than the inside diameter of a 2 inch pipe and thought I'd just drill and tap a hole in the middle of it and weld it to the inside of the 2 inch pipe. I'm torn at doing any math for the equation of how to shape it to allow enough air into a 'not built' woodburner, the thickness and type of material I should be making it out of, whether or not to include gasket provisions for, spark retaining, or anything else I haven't thought of. It might just be easier to buy them, but I have not seen any that I'd want..I'd like to have some nice ones that wouldn't brake the bank. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

Air Control Valves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Control Valves   Air Control Valves EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 11:41 am

I'm getting ready to add draft weighted, like on you regular flues, to run my secondary air.
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

Air Control Valves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Control Valves   Air Control Valves EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 9:46 am

Not really familiar(sp) with draft weighted but have seen an old set up on a woodstove that my friend has..think it was on his damper exhaust pipe..thought it was thermostatically controlled but may be wrong. I cut some 1, 1 1/2, and 2 inch pipes today at 1 1/4 inches and inserted the fan shaped peice..computer plasma cut 3/8 s circles for the 2 inch pipes just a tad bigger and simply plasma cut half cirlcles for the turning of the knob...they look pretty good but don't know how well they will hold up in high temp...might of, should of, probably used stainless steel..I don't know. I thought I'd put a screen on inside of pipe for spark reduction. If enough people were interested in them and wish to own some..maybe able to barter or trade for something, even if they just wanted just the fan peice, which is probably hard to make if you don't have access to a plasma table or cnc mill. They look good enough to chrome and I really dont like the slide or hinged door option.
Please elaborate on draft weighted. Thank you for posting reply.
Back to top Go down
gadily

Air Control Valves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Control Valves   Air Control Valves EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 10:11 am

ive seen damper exhaust controled by a weight

seen controls that are twisted for more air or less air

slider controls and twist to open though still work on same principle of a slider control

though i am curious on what you mean got any pics ? to show what ya mean
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

Air Control Valves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Control Valves   Air Control Valves EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 10:45 am

Sorry I don't..but will ..just texted my neighbor to see if she could help me out..but yes, you would tighten or loosen knob to let more or less air into pipe. The fan shaped peice just replaces a nut with 3 peices of metal..some of them use 1/4 inch round stock to weld it to the inside of the pipe. I will guarentee(sp) that it will not work any better, but looks a little more professional. I am going to drill and tap a hole in the middle of fan shaped peice to accept 5/16 or 3/8 thread. Also.. this shape is what you see on many grills or stoves..often with a male and female set of holes that would open and close similiar(sp) to a weber grill..which just has holes in it. I put slots as to let as much air in as I could without compromising strength, although I dont know that it is stronger than 3 individual peices of 1/4 inch round stock and definately would not let as much air in as the round stock, but can always change design via cad. I am new at this sort of thing and don't have a lot to offer knowledge wise. Would it be like counter weight you are talking about..I once had car trunk lid that latch was broke in and just put a counter weight with rope run to hinge side to keep it closed.. had a string and pulley set up. Used a simular set up with a single garage door panel that sits above my rollers for easy opening and closing when bringing sheets of metal in from outside.
Back to top Go down
gadily

Air Control Valves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Control Valves   Air Control Valves EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 9:24 pm

from what im gathering

Air Control Valves Index10

theres that type of design used where you can drill through and have the fan type control twist to close or open

the others i am aware of are the barometric damper controls used for most type air controls including drying air ducts

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=barometric+damper&client=firefox-a&hs=Uzr&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=V502U6jEEZGM7AbO3YHABQ&ved=0CFgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=833

after saying all that the college design of a heater used thermoelectrics used to power fans for better effecency within there heater

http://firetecumd.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/wood-stove-decathlon-student-team-featured-by-national-geographic/

Traditional stoves pull in cool air, but a team from the University of Maryland put the air intake pipe inside the exhaust pipe, an arrangement that heats the inlet air and cools the exhaust, thus conserving heat and improving efficiency. Their stove, a prototype built partly by the machine shop at the university’s College Park campus, uses a fan to draw in air. A small computer controls the fan, varying its speed to keep the temperature in the firebox in the proper range.

In a twist, the electricity to run the computer and fan comes from a thermoelectric generator, driven by the heat of the stove. For production models, the thermoelectric generator will allow the user to recharge a cellphone, said Ryan P. Fisher, a member of the team and a graduate student in fire protection engineering.
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

Air Control Valves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Control Valves   Air Control Valves EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 12:38 am

That is exactly what my peices that I am going to weld in the pipes look like. Thank you for responding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Air Control Valves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Control Valves   Air Control Valves Empty

Back to top Go down

Air Control Valves
Page 1 of 1