The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Its been about 100 F here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tim Keith

PostSubject: Its been about 100 F here   Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:29 pm

The temperature has been about 100 F this week in South Texas but it sure was chilly a few weeks ago. I hope to see more builders of non traditional wood heaters join this forum. I trimmed brush today which I hope to use to provide heat for several days. Cord wood is prohibitively costly here but there is plenty of the usual woody brush.
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Its been about 100 F here   Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:53 am

Mesquite? Awesome for BBQ. Ha! I did a brief stint in Port A.
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

PostSubject: Re: Its been about 100 F here   Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:46 am

Most of the brush goes by the local name of "cedar" but there are multiple varieties that actually aren't cedar. It contains an oil that enables the tree to be drought tolerant and burns profusely.  I read a report from Texas A&M that said this wood releases more BTUs than oak when it burned.   Because of the fire hazard homeowners ought to aggressively remove the cedar from anywhere near their homes but that's often not the case.  The cedar sprouts up like weeds and after five years needs to be cut with a chainsaw.  I'd just as soon get this when it is less than 1-1/2 inch and chip it as I can afford the smaller wood chipper machine.   The oil in the wood can produce creosote when burned in a fireplace but I plan to burn it hot enough that combustion is complete.  We are beginning to get fire hazard warnings from potential brush fires.  Many houses are built in semi-rural areas surrounded by former ranches that have been allowed to grow up in brush.
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Its been about 100 F here   Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Same weather here in this part of the world (Israel). In December we had 1 metre of snow in a single day, a week ago we had 37 C for few days...
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

PostSubject: Re: Its been about 100 F here   Thu May 01, 2014 2:58 pm

The last significant snowfall here was in 1985, but winter nights can be chilly, lower than freezing. The fact is, olive trees grow well locally but there are two many cold nights for the fruit to set on the trees. That does not stop some pioneers from attempting to grow olives, which otherwise appear well suited for the Texas hill country.

This area is said to be the largest population in the US that solely depends upon wells for fresh water.  We have no surface reservoirs to speak of, but a reliable aquifer that has never failed.  The temperatures over the next four months will be above 90 F and the rainfall relatively sparse.  I think 90 F is about 32 C. The overall annual rainfall isn't much different than Chicago, but little local precipitation falls during the warmest months as the high pressure zone moves the moist air from the Gulf of Mexico to the north.  That is good for me as I don't like to mow the lawn!  Temperatures over 100 F can be common until September.    Many land owners have sold local ranches to real estate developers who then allow brush to grow unmaintained.  Those conditions can lead to wild fire hazards. Quality cord wood is often relatively expensive.  My focus is developing a heater for the burning of the abundant local biomass rubbish as a fuel in a self feeding wood chip heater.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Its been about 100 F here   Fri May 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Weather?

Just days ago winter like cold and rains, then overnight 70 degrees the next day 70 degrees, today 90 degrees.

The forecast for the rest of the week?

It plummets just as fast as it came.

Two weeks ago it was the same, one extreme to the other.

I am thinking about doing a video on why I think this is happening, it is not normal.

Too great of a swing in too short of a time frame and it is repetitive and world wide.

Last edited by Trying2Hard on Fri May 02, 2014 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Its been about 100 F here   Fri May 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Tim Keith, I have seen that weather somewhere... where I live

http://www.israelweather.co.il/forecast/week_en29.html

30 C is pretty cool indeed...
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

PostSubject: Re: Its been about 100 F here   Fri May 02, 2014 7:10 pm

With the sunny winter days and chilly nights this area is suitable for passive solar. However in south Texas the sun that is ideal for winter warmth can overheat the house in the summer. Mechanical shading devices like awnings and automatic blinds can sometimes be practical. For my location the live oaks shade much of the property but these trees don't shed the leaves in the winter(they sure do in late April). The shaded roof prolongs the life of the shingles. There are tradeoffs for many designs. The outside temperature today was ideal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Its been about 100 F here   

Back to top Go down

Its been about 100 F here
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Rocket Woodstove Forum :: Main :: Lounge-
Jump to: