The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kimberly Wood Stove

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffJetisoned

Kimberly Wood Stove Empty
PostSubject: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyWed May 07, 2014 9:26 am

Has anybody got any plans or seen the guts to one of these stoves? I have looked at some videos but upper half is pretty vague as far as details go. Someone told me to start with dimensions and work backwards but I don't want to waste time and materials doing it. I like the concept behind the stove as it brings in air from outside, it's round and made with stainless steel, it is the right size for my application, and looks fairly easy to build. I also think it would be easy for add ons..like an oven, a water heater, or mass heater. It also has a huge price tag.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyWed May 07, 2014 10:06 am

lol

may be of interest to you

heres another way of combining both ideas together

Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyWed May 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Gadily..your something..thanks...is there any stoves you haven't seen yet? The Tonwerk I think explains these basic models best and I have not seen this video before. I have been wanting to build a stove for months and have been torn at what type or model to build and since it isn't heating season, thought it better to do more studying. I have boat loads of materials I have been making and gathering to do this..no big deal..most were free or I paid junk price for. I also am not that good of a welder(my eyes feel like they were sandblasted when I do) and want at least some of the parts made out of stainless and will probably pay someone or have a buddy weld, due to the nature of the machine and materials. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyWed May 07, 2014 8:46 pm

jeff your eyes should not be sore ( as your getting some sort of arc eye ) when welding if they are depending on your mask

buy a new mask, change to higher settings 9/13 on dimmer masks

the others is eye strain, fumes from welding tear ducts not working right/dry eyes these have an effect when welding

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t303-welding-protection-safety

http://autobodystore.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-13692.html

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t86-mig-welding

Last edited by gadily on Thu May 08, 2014 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu May 08, 2014 3:21 am

I researched this a while back. A bigger version of the camp cook stove. Here is the description from the bigger and newer model, the Katydid.

http://www.kimberlyepawoodstoves.com/The-Katydid-Wood-Stove--NEW_p_10.html
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu May 08, 2014 4:33 am

id build that one first but id advise a look at this one ive just found and posted up

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t348-down-draft-gasification-boiler#2865

even i like this version small just shame it needs a small fan to run it
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu May 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks Hitchhiker..and gadily. I never thought of stoves so much until becoming a member of this great forum. I have several needs of this technology of rocket stoves. I would like to be able to make a rocket stove that first and foremost..is able to cook pizza..brick oven style ..700-800 degrees, another one to heat my $2,000 motorhome, which is a 26' 1976 Chevy big block Blazon(I've had it 15 years and it has 55,000 miles on it), another to cook with, while camping that I can put on my trailer that holds six canoes and kayaks, 4 bikes, my smoker, and a truck tire rim that I put a swivel top grill on(which alone will cook for 25 people). I'd like to build one for smelting copper for art and bullion..there's some locals who have an annual iron pour...busting up old radiators and melting them for several molds they make. I am not against fan, although I know a lot of people are..but think it might be needed to obtain higher temps faster and efficiently...anyway, in short, it seems like I am coming across more and better ideas as I keep researching. Thanks for your time and everything you have done for everybody.
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu May 08, 2014 1:20 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention my eyes..they are light blue and I have had glasses since 4 years old and have way bad stigmatism(sp).. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu May 08, 2014 10:26 pm

jeff ive worn glasses since very young mine was a squint (lazy eye drift )

i use setting 9 on my mask but i could also use gas goggles and these was a 5 thoe could not look directly at the weld area

with the new auto mask i find it alot better and much easier to stop and start on where im welding no way im going back to the pull down and lift up ones the 35.00 was well worth the price even thoe i didnt want to get a mask im glad that i did so

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/fabrication-cnc-laser-waterjet-plasma-welding-fab/mig-weld-can-t-see-joining-point-well-132294/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/fabrication-cnc-laser-waterjet-plasma-welding-fab/glasses-prescription-strictly-welding-those-helmet-magnifiers-249346/

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/archive/index.php/t-45088.html?s=cdfbe4901c424d2ed07be832084927d3
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:57 am

Yea, Ive tried the darkest lens, auto lenses.. I work in a fab shop with 20 welders close at hand...they can spin a weld out better, stronger, faster...sealed boat tight and almost perfect every time. I do what I am good at, tack my work together, do the tooling and machining and let someone else who knows hows to weld do it..especially if it has to float or may burn my house down. I also am going to use a lot of stainless(different grades for different applications) on my builds and a welder knows the program and materials. I think sometimes they use pulse. Hats off to all the good welders here in the forum..but I am not one and nor do I care to be. My father has an old big coil Lincoln stick welder and I have built a canoe trailer with it and he thought I was a good welder, but I am not. I hope I don't sound close-minded, but I have a lot of hobbies and like to do a lot of different things and can only allow so much time for each of them, and lately these stoves have been taking "it" up..lol. Thanks for info friend..hope I didn't dissappoint
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyFri May 09, 2014 7:02 pm

jeff good luck on your build though and if i know welders enough like the builders if you dont do it right you dont half get a mouthful or the sack as ive worked for alot of them over the years lol

so i bet your tack welds are spot on enough so to weld for yourself
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptySat May 10, 2014 11:46 am

More on this subject..I airbrush, play guitar..have a recording studio and am playing with some of the best musicians in this part of the country..also I camp, fish, hunt, trap, garden, study martial arts, do woodworking and cabinet carpentry, kayak and canoe, photograghy, quilt making..I have a 1956 Singer, blacksmith, carve, mushroom hunt, smoke (sorry)..and smoke(food), drink, like wine making.. they just said on the news today there is a shortage of bourbon..lol.., paint..I'm big on art though don't claim to be an artist..sounds like a title I don't deserve..lol, also I am a wind and solar enthusiest(sp)..smelting, I like to dip..and smelting..well..melting..lol. There is also a lot on my bucket list..my friend has a '36 Selsna(sp) I'd like to pilot one day..and jump, and learn how to scuba dive and surf. I just realized I have have to get up in morning and finish 56 hour work week and I have 5 double loads of laundry and two sink full of dishes to do..well maybe tomorrow...better call my 7 year old son before it gets too late..and hopefully my 51 and a half year old body will wake up in the morning to do it.. lol sorry if I dissappoint..but it is the lounge and I did start this thread and it did say I could talk about anything..lol. Peace!!
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptySat May 10, 2014 2:17 pm

JeffJetisoned wrote:
Gadily..your something..thanks...is there any stoves you haven't seen yet?  The Tonwerk I think explains these basic models best and I have not seen this video before.

I liked those designs with the removable grates. I want to use mild carbon steel with a castable refractory liner. I think the costs of using castable would work out about the same as using stainless, but I think the refractory liner would be more efficient. The ash grate will be stainless. I think every design has some tradeoff, and none are perfect. My welding skills are not great but the welds are strong. I prefer stick welding for good penetration, but my welds often don't look that great. Its good that I'm not an artist! Some of my welds are pretty, gaining consistency may come in time. Thanks for posting the videos.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 6:34 am

the kimberly

The Kimberly stove is comparatively small—just 25 1/2 inches tall and 10 inches in diameter. It's also beautiful to look at. How did you arrive at this unusual concept?

its also has a foot print of using stainless steel and glass as its main concept of materials
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 7:33 am

I arrived at this concept because I don't know what the results would be for any of the above mentioned. I wish I could ask the manufacturer of the Kimberly how he arrived at 25 1/2" and 9 inches or was it ten in diameter?...doesn't matter or it may..I was going to use 10" just because I have some type 316 stainless 3/16" thick. They probably had rocket scientist look at it and decided that 25 1/2" with 9" diameter was optimal..To be honest with you Gadily, I am afraid to build a stove that isn't easily converted or changed because I don't know what I'm doing..lol.. Thought I'd just computer plasma cut the flanges(10 minutes in the CAD program and 15 minutes on the table at 190 feet per minute-could make several) and start with the body or the part with the door..weld a flange on top and bottom..do the same with the bottom...might just be a plate with the flange hole pattern for very bottom but could always add another section on. Top could be the same way..or yet another peice of the 10' round stainless with flanges on top of the top. Anyway, maybe by mentioning it, someone else has already done this or will do it..or engineer and/or draw it. I guess that may be wishful thinking but I have no secrets and no quams about anyone using my ideas, like the maker's of this great forum, and am also in no hurry to make something before heating season. Also, by making a stove like this, it is very unlikely a person would throw the whole stove to the scrap yard and a very good way to experiment.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 7:59 pm

to be honest jeff i dont use cad i just use paint so ive looked at this design and i think it can do downdraft so heres what ive come up with so far

Kimberly Wood Stove Kimb_p10

i would build this in 2mm/3mm steel for testing
the top red on the first pic is clearance of smoke and for starting purposes that enters into the exhaust system at the sides that starts the draw on the bottom end hole

the second pic is the view i would see it have internal looking
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Can ya elaborate a little more..sorry..is the purple the exhaust with secondary air being fed from the sides? Also, what would you say would be the temp advantage by using a down draft system? Obviously, I know it would be hard to be too accurate to know precisely, but could ya give me ballpark figure..maybe 10 or 20% increase and is there a trade-off?. Does the down draft sytem burn less wood or make fuel last longer in a model like this?
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 1:26 am

to understand more jeff about downdraft the increase is about 50% to 75% more heat on top of what it produces

http://www.forgreenheat.org/stovedesign/finalists.html

The Wittus Twinfire is a double chambered wood burning stove.

it also produces more heat than normal stoves

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t237-wittus-twinfire

the purple is the chimney but thats higher up on the system inner red is the plate to stop the ashes going down it and allow the gas instead through

i decided upon double vortex hitting chimney instead of one pipe doing a vortex would do the same i just think double air input would increase the vortex effect so sucking more on the system

the other thing that you have to decide is how your going to put secondary air into the entrance below the red bar first pic
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 1:50 am

From my little tiny experience, the draft is key in getting these types to work.  I am curious as to the effects of secondary air, whether it is a pro or con and where it needs to be added to be most effective.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 5:34 am

as we know that downdraft gasifier can be done with/without a fan then using both of the designs of the rocket burner will create a better suction upon any system

what we do know is that straight up gives a good suction creating a vortex spreads the heat and also creates suction using both designs will provide better heat distribution as well as good suction to create a downdraft

tritowns would be better answering this one

above the system is yellow flame below the plate is blue flame the blue flame means hotter temps overall it at this point that you need to consider adding extra air ( secondary air )

the way a gasification boiler works

Kimberly Wood Stove Twindi10

using a type of method of this to insert the air into the downdraft flame the 3 holes is the secondary air input primary is where the logs/wood is loaded

Kimberly Wood Stove T2ec1610

produces this flame

Kimberly Wood Stove Frolin10

introducing more air into it look for my post in there a homemade system

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t348-down-draft-gasification-boiler
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 5:45 am

also try viewing this

Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 am

Wow gadilly, thanks for the information, which there is a lot of and I've been busy and have lots of questions but will review what ya posted some more when time allows and for this reason, I don't get to excited about starting to weld anything until I know more of what I'd like to build. I'll get back to you. I also guess I never dreamed that the percentage would be that high and need to take another look at Trying2Hard's downdraft also. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 10:45 am

heres another done in sections

Kimberly Wood Stove Kimb_p11

the blue is primary air
purple is exhaust
you have to decide best way how to insert secondary air into the red at the bottom you will decide its space needed
orange is ash box

black is the outside and inside of the round circle the 2 box sections either side are the flue system straight up with primary firebox starter and fumes quick release in red before opening the door

the top part is 2 systems i prefer to run the heat exhaust along the sides x2 before up the exhaust using the vortex method should give much more heat output

or you can just goto the exhaust pipe instead

this is untested just a thought of how it could be done using both exhaust methods of rs stoves for much better pull on the system
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 11:36 am

You have given me more information than I can comprehend in the time I have right now but I like your ideas and have not seen anything even close to them. Also, have to study information you sent last week... my 7 yr old son has been running me rampped..lol..baseball, soccer, swimming lessons, karate, music, camping, etc.. I have lots of questions to yet be answered and am not worthy of your work or designs right now but appreciate everything you've done for me and this forum. I wish I could work next to an engineer or designer that thought like you or some of the people in this forum...life would be so much easier..but instead I work with the ones who make 30 of the same part, name em all different...and attatch eight numbers and two letters to em. I think they do it to confuse everyone who has to fab or weld or maybe they think that the more numbers and letters they add to a part makes it , somehow, more important than one would need..A, B, C, or 1, 2, or 3 would probably suffice..lol ..anyway thanks again friend and hope everything goes your way!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 8:00 pm

I have lots of questions to yet be answered and am not worthy of your work or designs right now but appreciate everything you've done for me and this forum. wrote:

your welcome to ask away any questions that you like to do

i believe this forum works on the principle everyone is worthy from newbie to experienced all it takes is to ask for help in there builds

but to give you an idea i built the design of the dino v a hybrid mix of my own with the steels and its flick arounds i wouldnt release it as not my design but is well discussed with the designer with pics and videos before release

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kimberly Wood Stove   Kimberly Wood Stove Empty

Back to top Go down

Kimberly Wood Stove
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next