The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

docdcox gasifier

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gadily

PostSubject: docdcox gasifier   Fri May 09, 2014 3:16 am

i really like the look of this one

Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

PostSubject: Re: docdcox gasifier   Wed May 28, 2014 3:15 pm

stainless ! Tnanks for posting these videos
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: docdcox gasifier   Wed May 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Stainless is pretty, it is more heat insulative though... You need about 60% more surface area as compaired to regular carbon steel for cooling
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin

PostSubject: Re: docdcox gasifier   Thu May 29, 2014 3:18 am

tritowns wrote:
Stainless is pretty, it is more heat insulative though... You need about 60% more surface area as compaired to regular carbon steel for cooling
Good information to consider, what about using stainless steel for specific components and mild steel for other sections?

Such as the combustion section in stainless.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: docdcox gasifier   Thu May 29, 2014 4:40 am

that's what a lot of people do... but I would say consider building your gasser so that the high heat area isn't even exposed directly to the super hot part of the process... you can do this by taking advantage of the angle of repose (think that is the right term) and char and ash's natural insulating tendencies.

If you don't keep the metal out of those super high heat areas you'll find even stainless won't last too long.

I use carbon steel for a reason... I put thick steel in the areas that need it. I also make it so that I can easily change out parts that may experience those high temps.
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

PostSubject: Re: docdcox gasifier   Thu May 29, 2014 5:18 am

tritowns wrote:
If you don't keep the metal out of those super high heat areas you'll find even stainless won't last too long.

Could castable refractory be used to protect the steel from heat? I'm familiar with the 2600 F rated cement. Its costly but maybe not much would be needed. Iron melts at 2600. Its got to be a lot of heat to damage stainless steel. There is a 3000 F rated refractory, but spendy.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: docdcox gasifier   Thu May 29, 2014 6:09 am

some of the guys are using casable refractories now. so yes they do work. my understanding with stainless is that at certain temperatures it pretty much reverts back to carbon steel, and because you would normally build with much thinner material it then rusts to uslessness.

that and i have seen some direct heat warpage on what people are building their hour glass style hearths with.

makes me think that maybe they should have built a differnt way...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: docdcox gasifier   

Back to top Go down

docdcox gasifier
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1