The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

stoveseal and rope

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
gadily

stoveseal and rope Empty
PostSubject: stoveseal and rope   stoveseal and rope EmptyMon Jun 30, 2014 11:01 pm

ive seen a few items being used and im just wondering what is best to use rope / tape for door seal

ive gone for 10mm rope i had even thought it was the wrong stuff

with the silicone stuff theres 2 types 300/500f or the higher version 1250C

im now left wondering with the stoveseal which one is it like as im aware of 2 types from plumbing trade

silicone sealant and silicone

the silicone sealant we never use as it never fully cures unlike the silicone can anyone advise which type it is while they have been using it ? please

http://www.stoves-etc.co.uk/InstallationProducts/SealantsAdhesives/OtherSealantsAdhesives/EnvirografSTOVESEALGreySealant

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stoveseal-Silicone-1250-C-Fireproof-Sealant-for-Wood-Burning-Stoves-Flue-Seals-/320858130758

as considering just using the silicone just to hold the glass and fastening the rope to door at same time i have about 1/4" overlap on metal with glass
Back to top Go down
sumoldgit

stoveseal and rope Empty
PostSubject: Re: stoveseal and rope   stoveseal and rope EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 3:31 am

Hi, I recently bought this 'silicone sealant' stuff and the product is more like a decorators chaulk in consistency not like silicone at all it's less sticky with a grainy texture, here it is up to 1300 deg for less than you have it for. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161121842594?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648 hope this helps, regards.
Back to top Go down
gadily

stoveseal and rope Empty
PostSubject: Re: stoveseal and rope   stoveseal and rope EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 6:38 am

thankyou for the info it means i have to create a holder for the glass

if it had of been like the silicone stuff i wouldnt need a holder for the glass as that stuff holds glass and only a stanley knife is needed to cut the silicone away from any surface
Back to top Go down
sumoldgit

stoveseal and rope Empty
PostSubject: Re: stoveseal and rope   stoveseal and rope EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi, I think you would have to use the rope type seal as this fire proof sealant product cures to a hard fire cement type seal, I do not think it would give any flexibility with the different expansion experienced between glass and steel, in my opinion, a good seal could not be maintained. In my window fitting experience I found that silicone (building type) has a "melting point" after which it shrinks then bursts into flame, probably not the effect you are looking for. Regards.
Back to top Go down
gadily

stoveseal and rope Empty
PostSubject: Re: stoveseal and rope   stoveseal and rope EmptyFri Jul 11, 2014 11:02 am

i had a look at the other stuff for just siliconing the glass in place its a do not use for the application so ive had to go with this type of seal for the glass for the movement of different materials of glass and metal

SELF ADHESIVE DOOR GLASS SEALING WEBB
COLOUR - BLACK
10 mm WIDE x 3 mm DEEP
Made in GERMANY
TEMPERATURE RESISTANCE -  650 °С

for door and sealing of the rocket stove im going to use the rope and also the chaulking stove stuff to hold the rope in place for the
sealing of the system from fumes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stoveseal and rope Empty
PostSubject: Re: stoveseal and rope   stoveseal and rope Empty

Back to top Go down

stoveseal and rope
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Rocket Woodstove Forum :: Main :: Rocketstoves (ideas and research members only) :: Resources: Bargains: Suppliers-
Jump to: