The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rocket Barrel Heater

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

heater - Rocket Barrel Heater Empty
PostSubject: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 7:25 am

I pieced this together with a bunch of old available items.  It heats well.  The "j" burner is an old fuel tank from a military M2 burner.  I am going to use it to heat the woodshed / man cave  in the background in the picture.  It's butt ugly, but it works !  Cool 

heater - Rocket Barrel Heater Stove_11

heater - Rocket Barrel Heater Stove_12

After I burn all of the old paint off, I'll paint it with some Hi-Temp black.

This is a new twist on an old design.  Very Happy

Last edited by Mr. Heater on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Nice use for available resources  Cool 
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Pretty darn cool man, nice use of readily available materials.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 7:56 pm

ive got to ask is that last pic a generator as it looks like one to a portable version

so had a look

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/14400/tp/1/

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?56923-M2-Burner-to-Propane-Experiment

http://www.eme421.com/m2burner.html

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-48116.html

also the burner can be used with a wood gasifier as i just thought id mention that one
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 8:52 pm

The last picture is of the M2 burner.  I tore it down, and converted the burner to LP gas.  

Yes, the burner portion could be run off of wood gas.  I couldn't see throwing out the  old gas tank, but did not have a use for it.  Then one day I had the rocket stove idea.  It turns out that the tank is made from aluminized steel for corrosion resistance. About 5" diameter.

The "J" tube sits on the cross piece of the table leg support.  It's removable for dumping the ashes/coals.  The heater will operate for about 5 hours before the horizontal part of the "J" tube begins to fill up with coals.  Then the draft slows down due to the restricted air flow.  I might cut an ash clean out port in it, but for now, it works just fine as it is.

I'm trying to keep the design simple.  Simple is easy !  Very Happy

Last edited by Mr. Heater on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm

very nice build mr heater you will get good enough heat in the shed

on a suggestion if you was to lower your exhaust pipe to half way down the barrel or hell down to the bottom at the back you would be creating a better heat storage area across the top of the barrel

ive seen this type be used for central heating systems

for your ash area id cut out a square at the bottom fit it with stainless steel slats and have a ash box below but ash box needs to be sealed some way
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 12:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions Gadily.  I will add some exhaust pipe inside the barrel to retain more heat.  I will see what effect it has on the draft.  The barrel is not air tight right now, and has some leaks.  I stuffed some fiberglass insulation inside the gap between the burner tube and barrel hole to increase the draft.  There is presently only a 5 foot section of 5" pipe on the exhaust.  I plan to add another 5 feet to increase the draft.  Also planning on installing fiberglass rope on the cover to seal it tighter.  I have found that the higher the draft, the higher the barrel temperature.

I have a vane that I cut from heavy sheet metal installed on top of the burner tube inside the barrel.  This has a very good effect of distributing the heat inside.  There was a "hot spot" on the top of the barrel without the vane, now the barrel is much more evenly heated.

heater - Rocket Barrel Heater Stove_13

The barrel is extracting a lot of the heat, as the exhaust flue temperature is about 200F, while the top and sides of the barrel read 350F.

This design could be built with 6" heavy stove pipe and 90 degree pipe elbows for the rocket burner.  No welding is required to build the project, but a metal saw or metal cutting abrasive wheel is needed.

Last edited by Mr. Heater on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 4:06 am

heres a few vids

Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 7:09 am

Butt ugly? Couldn't you paint some flowers on it? *wink*

Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 5:30 am

Sorry, no flowers, but I did paint it Hi-Temp black.  Now it's not butt ugly, just plain ugly  Very Happy 

Got her installed today.  Waiting for the paint to dry .......

heater - Rocket Barrel Heater Stove_14

Looking good !  

heater - Rocket Barrel Heater Stove_15

Last edited by Mr. Heater on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Nice. It looks slick.  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 9:53 am

I finally got a chance to make some short videos of the heater in operation.  They are located here.

https://vimeo.com/user34055501/videos
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rocket Barrel Heater   heater - Rocket Barrel Heater Empty

Back to top Go down

Rocket Barrel Heater
Page 1 of 1