The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JDRay

gasifier - Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid Empty
PostSubject: Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid   gasifier - Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 8:31 am

I came to learn about rocket stoves after learning about wood gasification, which is probably backward to the way most people learn about it. As such, from my perspective, a rocket stove is just a wood gasifier that burns the gas really early in the process and doesn't do much else with it (i.e. filter).

If you split the gas stream off of a gasifier, sent part of it to an insulated riser where it's burned immediately to provide heat and sent the other part to a gas generator that provides electricity, would that work and be the ultimate CHP system, or would it just be a complicated mess that didn't serve either purpose well?

Just thinkin'...

Cheers.

JD
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid   gasifier - Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 am

unsure if the idea has been tested however from my understanding of tractors via someone elses post the gasifier is built to supply the tractor at a good rate

if a higher percentage of gas was produced then i expect that both could be obtained by doing the same thing as you suggest

ive noted from builds that the gas is burnt as a gassifier

ppottys and t2h dyno v is close to a gassifier system
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid   gasifier - Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 am

Not sure if there would be enough energy. The pros could comment on that.

I saw a rmh but got hooked through European camping stoves. Then I started teaching myself with European and Russian masonry stoves. So I see all rockets as only another version of the standard masonry. A core to harness power and then manipulate it.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
JDRay

PostSubject: Re: Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid   gasifier - Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 1:42 am

Even a tiny gasifier produces enough to power a 5 kW generator. The AllPowerLabs guys power a 20 kW genset with something like a four inch throat. It's the square inches of the throat on the burner that determines the power production of a gasifier, and it scales dramatically. If I remember correctly, an 8" dia. burner can run a 200 kW genset. I'll have to look that up to verify, though.

JD
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid   gasifier - Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 5:30 am

it would be like this... the engine on a genset is a vacuum generator for a gasifier if it's a pull instead of push system... if you tried to fuel an engine and a burner what would stop the engine from pulling backwards on the burner and screwing up the mixture? in a push system thing are a little harder to control... could it be done? probably... I'm not the one that's gonna though. run an liquid cooled engine and pull heat from it makes more sense to me and is what I'll do when I go that route.

the resitriction is all about cross sectional area... an 8" restriction will have 4 times the csa as a 4" restriction.

Most of the machines I've built have been with a 2 1/2 to 2" restriction... that typically makes pleanty of gas for an engine up to about 20HP.
Back to top Go down
JDRay

PostSubject: Re: Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid   gasifier - Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 11:08 am

You're right in that dividing the gas flow would be the tricky part. Still, it "feels" like there should be something there.

A 20 hp engine (15 kW) should run a 10 kW alternator, maybe 7 kW. At any rate, you support my point that the capacity of the system, at least, should support both functions. Whether or not something workable could be devised... well, that's something else.

JD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid   gasifier - Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid Empty

Back to top Go down

Gasifier/Rocket Stove hybrid
Page 1 of 1