The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Member from rural Canada

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SlowMo

New Member from rural Canada Empty
PostSubject: New Member from rural Canada   New Member from rural Canada EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 4:23 am

Hi All,

I live in northern Saskatchewan on 160 acres of prairie. I bought the land bare and it has taken a number of years to get established. I have been watching your YouTube channels and checking out your websites for years for ideas and solutions. That knowledge has helped me to build a small shop that I live in until I am ready to put in a house and primary shop, refurbish my old tractor/backhoe, put my Sauna in with my first stove I guess :), build my germination box and garden beds, salvage a 4800 ft2 barn for material and many odd smaller jobs.

I am finally at the place where I am ready to contemplate the house, shop and greenhouse and that brings me here through tryin2lhard's youtube channel researching stoves. It's good to see allot of the same people from out there here with various interests in heat, energy and food production.

I have begun making sketches of the stove core and overall build I am thinking about and the initial testing mockups I think I'll have to do. I am glad that ppotty1 et al have created this place.
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: New Member from rural Canada   New Member from rural Canada EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. You will have to wait one week until you can post pictures and videos on the forum, but we are looking forward to see your stove projects as well your land and all that you described in your presentation. You know, without pictures and/or videos, it never happened...
Back to top Go down
SlowMo

PostSubject: A short video, sorry about the audio, I am sick at the moment   New Member from rural Canada EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 am

Well I made a short video but it will take me a bit to find someplace on the net to post it. I have to go just now but I will update the post when the video is available.
Back to top Go down
SlowMo

PostSubject: Into video complete   New Member from rural Canada EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Ok, I have created a Google Drive account and the link works, here is the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-gDmyjamOciOUExeGk0LXRhTkk/view?usp=sharing

SlowMo Intro
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: New Member from rural Canada   New Member from rural Canada EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Nice place you have there. I wish I would have this much space...Haven't seen yet any wood stove working!
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: New Member from rural Canada   New Member from rural Canada EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Welcome aboard mo!
Hey nice rebuild job on the tractor, were those new sleeves stainless steel?
If so they sure would come in handy for a burn chamber for a gassifier.

Nice piece of land man, big undertaking.

That barn looked like it was nice enough to restore and turn into a living space.

Was it too bad off to do that?

You sure got some nice wood out of that tear down.
Glad to have you with us man.
Back to top Go down
SlowMo

PostSubject: Re: New Member from rural Canada   New Member from rural Canada EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 9:00 am

Thanks Trying2Hard. The new parts were identical to the old. I was lucky enough to find an original rebuild kit that sat on the shelves for 30 years or so. I am unsure of the metal composition but the old sleeves had 1000's of hours on them and more than 40 years and they were in pretty good condition. I have kept them to use for something, thanks for the idea.

I originally contemplated the barn for house material but have decided against it. It was more than a 100 years old and supplied allot of good material but I am happy in my small place for now and given the rodents, climate and high winds have decided on ICF as a material for the house. I really need a big heated shop so it works out well. This weekend it's -40C with the windchill so I look forward to a winter work area. The shop will be built adjacent to the house and I plan to put most of the mechanicals in the shop and route them to the house, so putting the shop up first makes sense and the materials are on hand. After the shop is done the house is a nice to have really.

I look forward to developing a couple of stoves with everyone here.

I want to put a large modular stove in the shop which will be used to heat water and air with the option for cooking if needed.

I want to look at developing something for a greenhouse so I could get 10 months use out of it yearly.

I am also looking to build a cooking stove for outside. I like to bbq but -40C makes that hard without a custom solution. Also, I prefer summer cooking outside to keep the heat out of my living area.

---------

I need about 1 or 2 days to finish the sauna and then I'll do a test burn of the stove and finish everything off. I am just taking some rest at the moment, I have been going hard for months now racing to get jobs finished before winter sets in. I made it just and I'll get going again at a slower pace in December. I definitely want to take a few saunas before Christmas.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: New Member from rural Canada   New Member from rural Canada EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 9:13 am

Love the Sauna idea man!
I am big on steam and dry Saunas!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member from rural Canada   New Member from rural Canada Empty

Back to top Go down

New Member from rural Canada
Page 1 of 1