The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hello from Richmond, VA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vaburner

PostSubject: Hello from Richmond, VA   Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:41 am

Very interested in building one of these myself - hoping to find an efficient way of utilizing the hundreds of pounds of leaves I rake every fall along with all the twigs that fall from all the trees on my property here in Virginia. This looks very promising.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Richmond, VA   Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:28 am

Welcome vaburner, early on I had the same thoughts and made myself a primitive briquette press.

I gave it up as it was pretty labor intensive, not that it can be done in a way that is not labor intensive.

Finances and materials kept me from continuing in that direction, found that using wood was much easier, however with that said I want to take a very serious look at using wood chips and a serious look at developing systems for drying them on a mass scale, bagging and storage for use.

Once dried they are ready to burn and seem much less labor intensive as well with the abundance of tons of free wood chips that would be delivered for free as well looks worth while investing time and energy into developing that free resource.

Last edited by Trying2Hard on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Richmond, VA   Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:00 pm

These videos are in French, but images and numbers are universal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZSR3CFn8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTezJ1kdZ6U

He made a stove that burns leaves. Since the guy is French, he works with the metric system, measuring temperatures in C not F. In one of the comments he wrote that he uses about 4 to 5 kg of leaves per hour for the setup in the second video.

Take a look on how he warms up the primary air for the stove to get to very high temperatures.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Richmond, VA   Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:48 pm

cheers for those vids caotropheus that leaf burner was nice to see it working well

hi and welcome vaburner
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Richmond, VA   Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:44 am

Caotropheus great find, if you have not posted this in the research area that would be great for others to see.
I have seen his other videos but not the first one.

It looks like he created a vortex by inserting the burn chamber directly into the updraft tube.
Good idea.

It looks pretty promising, as well thought about the lava rock again today that should be explored in using for fuel that produces large amounts of smoke.

It looks like to me the modifications he made with punching holes into a piece of metal and forming a cone what he has done are two things.

Created more turbulence, and a constriction zone like what is being used in gasification systems.
As I watched him stuff leaves twigs and fresh tree branches he has created gasification, it is possible that even the moisture from the fuel is being converted to hydrogen due to the high temps making it even more hotter.

Great find!
I like the guy and subscribed to him.
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Richmond, VA   Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Trying2Hard wrote:
As I watched him stuff leaves twigs and fresh tree branches he has created gasification, it is possible that even the moisture from the fuel is being converted to hydrogen due to the high temps making it even more hotter.

Thermal decomposition of water only occurs for temperatures above 2000ÂșC. I am not sure that any natural aspirated wood stove would reach temperatures this high, not even very well insulated rocket stoves.
Back to top Go down
vaburner

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Richmond, VA   Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:02 pm

WOW!!! This is great - you guys are scouring the interweb and finding gems!! This guy from France is great - I can't wait until my daughter is home from college and can interpret the 2nd video since the CC doesn't translate into English. Being able to smelt aluminum is a total man overload!!!

I can't wait to recreate his leaf burner - it has to be a great house warmer since 1100 C is 2012 F. I have more leaves than one can believe and I hate just mulching them and having the recycling company pick-up the compost.

You guys are great...I am very fortunate to have stumbled across the wealth of information ya'll provide!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Richmond, VA   

Back to top Go down

Hello from Richmond, VA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1