The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Greetings from Virginia, USA

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hybridizer

Greetings from Virginia, USA Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 2:43 pm

I am considering the Rocket or some hybrids.
Our home heats with oil, and last year that was almost $4,000.
Lots of motivation to do something different!
I also garden on very poor soil. This has led me to biochar. I run a 55 gallon drum with 30 gallon retort presently, and it is very clean burning after adjustments and modifications. It uses less wood to run than is in the 30 gallon retort, so it is fairly efficient.
I am contemplating a basement stove to make my biochar. I do all biochar in the winter, since I am too busy when the garden is growing. Why not heat the house and make biochar?
So this is why I am here, to learn, and achieve the goal of being more self sustaining on my land.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Glad to have you with us!
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 9:29 am

welcome onboard.
Back to top Go down
https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk
Hybridizer

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 10:51 am

Thank you all! Trying2hard... I have watched many of your videos... Thanks for sharing. I posted on YouTube under my own name, commenting on one of your vids.
Thank you, Gadily for the link. Hopefully soon I will have my vision on some form of document that can be shared and comment on. This old brain (67) races on many things, but some tech tools are just too large in learning curve. Such as CAD programs!!!
Any suggestions for simple user friendly design stuff? Maybe I will just have to photograph a piece of paper!!!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 11:20 am

i have cad on building homes i just never used it for anything im more of a 2d retro fitter than 3d so i use the standared windows paint program but i also have adobe if i want to use that instead

the programs are listed in quick reference within my post on the forums how to build a rocket burner so if anyone wants a program or wants to learn one they are there
Back to top Go down
Hybridizer

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:33 pm

Here is a summary of my rocket stove vision:
Is it possible to do this?
1. Efficiently burn to create my prime target product, biochar, a valuable amendment to my extensive garden soils, and as a cash crop?
2. Can this be done so the wood gas is burned to increase the efficiency burn? I need to figure this out
3. Can I also capture heat in water to supplement the hot water baseboard system in my home?
4. Much of my winter work is in the cool basement: Can I additionally route the exhaust into a mass heater to the house to reduce heating costs there?

If I sit the rocket stove outside the basement door on the level of the basement I can grade the ground so my biochar retort can be serviced above the stove from ground level, where machinery can help move product and hot barrels. I hope to achieve hot swap process.
If I locate a large water tank behind the stove, under ground, well insulated as a heat dump and water exchange mass, heat can be transferred to my fresh water supply and to my baseboard heat system that is installed (oil heat boiler) at the opposite end of the basement.

If I route the exhaust into a mass inside the basement, all the heat can be removed and stored. This will be optional so in summer the heat will go up the chimney and be lost.

High values:
Economical: a do it myself build using low cost ceramic components
Ease of operation, in the biochar process, and in the maintenance of the stove
Automatic water control processes.
Effective and efficient serviceable stove that can endure continual burn at 2000F
Efficient capture of heat for multiple uses
Safety. I will sit the stove just outside the basement door on the level of the basement floor.

That is my vision. I have come here to this site for help with technical issues
I recognize the complexity of this vision has components well beyond my expertise
Yet I still have full use of a very active mind, a body still able to work, and the will to achieve impossible goals.

Now for the global vision... What if... what if this kind of unit could be replicated in thousands of homes around the area, where a retired man could heat his house with free fuel and in the process make a valuable product. Imagine getting paid to heat your home!

Why not? EPA. Regulations. Fire marshals. The NAYSAYERS in the world who make their living in fossil fuels. Yes... There is much to overcome...

Seems I remember, on this week of Martin Luther King, the theme of one of their march songs was, "We Shall Overcome!" Let us move on in this spirit!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:41 pm

as quoted this one uses both methods and really should be taken onboard it not only uses the wood it uses the gas off the wood as well

Back to top Go down
Hybridizer

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:59 pm

What drives this vision, for me, has been the challenge of growing things in very poor soil.
Soil research led me to amendments, first compost, then vermicompost, using worms to add value to the compost.
Soil research also led me to biochar, and biochar to stoves.
This vision combines many sciences and technologies, something I have come to after a life of starting churches where need existed.
I am now retired, 67, with this visionary mind, returning to my roots in ranching in Western Colorado where everything that got done was done by those on the ranch.
I am delighted to be ranching again!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hybridizer

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 12:50 am

Thanks, Gadily... I have watched that video several times. The info given is strong in general process, but weak in some details. What I wish was in it was the filming of cycles of operation, along with technicals of build.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 10:41 am

Hybridizer I will tell you where to look in your research for taking poor soil and making it rich in nutrients as well farming with little water.
I am sure from reading your post you have already done your research.

One of the greatest wonders that has taken place in our time is a desert that has been turned into an oasis.

Israel, their scientists have done extensive research that covers working soil dry arid lands.
I am going to have to say the answer to your needs you posted and questions are all Yes, it can be done.

Much that will meet your needs can be found right here on the forum.
By the way, welcome!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 5:49 am

Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Ah gadily you are worth your weight in gold!
Back to top Go down
Hybridizer

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Wow... That continuous system is overwhelmingly complex. Then the next video everything is changed up! Looks like I should apply for a grant to be able to achieve all my vision!!!
I surely like the idea of continuous.
So far I have not seen an example where the heat goes more than two ways. These make biochar and bio fuel.
Am I asking too much of a rocket stove to primarily make biochar, secondarily heat water, and finally dump the last calorie into a thermal mass?
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 1:26 am

not as complex as you may think

the second vid has 2 versions of continuous biochar making
so in total there is 3 different versions to choose from the website dosnt exist though only the vids via youtube

simple converstion to you and me

downdraft gasifier
a vortex creator to seperate the large to small pieces for the gas

the rest is either made from augers and tube and a motor however i bet i could make one motor run the whole machine using cogs and wheels and chains

theres alot more stuff you can use the gas for

heating and cooking or helping to burn some more inside of your built system or even another system instead
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA EmptySun Jan 25, 2015 11:26 am

Hybridizer wrote:
Wow... That continuous system is overwhelmingly complex. Then the next video everything is changed up! Looks like I should apply for a grant to be able to achieve all my vision!!!
I surely like the idea of continuous.
So far I have not seen an example where the heat goes more than two ways. These make biochar and bio fuel.
Am I asking too much of a rocket stove to primarily make biochar, secondarily heat water, and finally dump the last calorie into a thermal mass?

to be honest id probably ditch the rocket burner principle however not entirely true

id create the downdraft gasifier and use the extra bio source for the garden but the gas i can use 2 ways

use within a boiler system and use it for creating electricity as you have loads of options with the downdraft system

i think its tritowns that does build there system on here maybe be able to point you in the right direction

i would only consider the option of rocket burner build if the need for heat was important and food cooking upon it

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA   Greetings from Virginia, USA Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Virginia, USA
Page 1 of 1