The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop

Go down 
+3
gadily
T2H
Lizard
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Lizard

small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 10:18 am

In theory I should be able to use pellet stove piping for the chimney of my rocket heater correct?  Since the exhaust temps shouldn't be above 140-160 degrees (if I'm pulling as much heat off the top as possible using a fan). I am looking at purchasing 4" double walled pellet piping that's stainless steel on the inside and galvanized on the outside layer.  My plan is to run it about 48 to 54" straight up and then turn 90 degrees and put it through a thimble in the back wall of my shop.  Then turn it 90 degrees again and have it about 1 foot away from the wall on pipe mounts and extend it a foot over the top of the shop roof.  
I'm hoping that the 48"+ will be enough to pull a good draft before I turn the pipe towards the thimble to take it outside and up.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 10:28 am

4" to 5" is the desired flue pipe range 3" can be used depending on your size of system like a couple on here

the rule of thumb is less bends is much better so using 2 45 degrees is better than using 2 90s

whats a thimble or do you mean air brick ?
Back to top Go down
Lizard

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 1:02 pm

My exhaust pipe is 4-1/2" OD Schedule 40 steel pipe. I'm hoping that 4" pellet piping will be 4-9/16" OD so it'll slip over the exhaust pipe and I can clamp it down.

gadily wrote:
whats a thimble or do you mean air brick ?

It's a sheet metal spacer in the wall that the pipe goes through to get outside.  It's suppose to help protect the studs from catching on fire from the heat of the pipe.

small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 Duratech-all-fuel-chimney-pipe-wall-thimble-for-chimney-pipes-with-a-6-inch-inner-diameter-9443-36
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2017 11:47 am

Man you are making me hungry!!!
Love slow cooked smoked bbq ribs, if any of you have not had this delicacy you need to try it!
Back to top Go down
Lizard

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 08, 2017 2:31 pm

No progress on the RH or the chimney...we had 8 inches of snow get dumped on us and I had to go into work and push snow. Was going to work on my shelving and cabinets this weekend but that's probably not going to happen either. I have more work to do at work tomorrow so I won't have a chance to work in the shop at all this weekend. Going to try to size up the chimney pipe with the exhaust pipe on the heater and make sure the 4" chimney piping will work with the steel pipe I have welded on to the heater. If it does I'll probably order all my piping online and have it delivered for next weekend. updates to come... this thing will be installed and will be used to warm up the shop....I don't care if I have to turn it into a waste oil burner!!! lol
Back to top Go down
Lizard

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Out in the shop right now and I'm about ready to cut the hole in my attic floor but I need to know the minimum distance between the edge of the 6" pipe and the wood of the attic floor. I saw a drawing that said 14" but that would mean the opening would be 34 inches square and I really don't want a hole that big. Any ideas? I'm sure regulations are probably different in the UK than the US.
Back to top Go down
Lizard

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Just an update on the above post: I did more research and I found that I can use something like a thimble to go through the ceiling so I'm going to order that with the other pipes I need. My game plan is to have all the supplies by next weekend and install all the chimney piping except for the last few pieces that attached to the rocket heater. Those will need to wait until I get the brick floor laid and the wall spacer shield installed behind the chimney pipe. I'm considering installing a small fresh air intake so that can feed the rocket heater instead of taking air from inside the shop.

Side note: More BBQ ribs were made this weekend. Very Happy I'll spare you all the photos. tongue
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2017 1:52 am

i think all you need is 3 wall pipe to go thru the wall and same to go thru the ceiling with a roof jack you dont a space gap with trippal wall pipe
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 9:46 am

nice to see yo guys still sorting this out cheers for that roach

ive also been busy as now got 2 bags of pellets to play with price was cheap for 20 kgs of pellets

so will be playing with something as soon as i get chance myself
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 5:46 pm

If you can stay way from using 3" pipe, you will need to clean it frequently and it gets old real fast.

I have used 4" for two winters and still had to clean it ever couple of months.

With 3" I found I was cleaning every month.
Back to top Go down
Miskwa

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Nice build. It looks like it could walk!  With the legs, the bolts on top, the handles as well, it reminds me

of R2D2. Or an R2D2 cousin anyway.  Hope it burns well for you.  I like the look of it.  Cheers
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 EmptyWed May 03, 2017 2:59 am

did you ever finish this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop   small - 30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

30 lb propane cylinder rocket heater for small shop
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4