The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello, from northern Mexico

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
telpochyaotl

Hello, from northern Mexico Empty
PostSubject: Hello, from northern Mexico   Hello, from northern Mexico EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 2:22 am

Hi All!

I'd like to say hi here. I've become sort of obsessive with all these marvelous Rocket Stoves I'm seeing and It is time I build mine.

I live in northern México. It doesn't get too cold here. About 1500 meters above sea. Occasionally gets to -14c, maybe -18c once that I can remember in my lifetime, but this year it has not gone below -2c maybe. Still, my house is fairly big, all built of brick, concrete, and different kinds of rock, so it can get pretty chilly in the house and I don't like to use propane gas that much, if I can avoid it, because of how it is currently obtained.

I'm a big fan of alternative energy. I generate close to 100% of my electricity part of they year from 8 solar panels. Have a wind turbine in my garage (waiting to be installed scratch ) and use solar power to heat the water for the shower. I've installed them all myself, and have a small house shop and I think I can build the stove too.

Solar is great but it's not efficient to convert it to electricity and back into heat. While I am also building a convection space heater to take advantage of the sun light, it is not always available when it is cold...

So the stove seems like the right way to go, I plan on using the old branches from all the trees I have around as a primary source (there are pines but also fruit trees and a lot of mesquite which is really powerful burner)...

Sorry for the long intro, but I get all excited with this stuff.

I'm about to go out to the recycling yard and pick up some metal to do some initial prototypes. But for the little I've read, mild steel is not going to last. I'm not sure I'll find stainless steel in these places for now... And though I've not read all there is (i will try), I'm left wondering if it is ok to use mild steel but cover it all inside with refractory brick/concrete (i think i should be able to find some since there are foundries in town). Is this idea viable?

I will ask the questions in the right forum categories of course, this was just my short (yea right) intro.

Thanks for the forum, for sharing your knowledge and being here!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello, from northern Mexico   Hello, from northern Mexico EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 7:33 am

welcome to the forums

with the brick or cement refractory it could be worth getting some perlight
but if has to brick built it can be done

every idea is viable once you prove it can be done
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Hello, from northern Mexico   Hello, from northern Mexico EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 10:22 am

Welcome, be sure to check out ppotty's stove as well several posts with using refractory material.
I will be looking into that as well myself to experiment with future builds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, from northern Mexico   Hello, from northern Mexico Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello, from northern Mexico
Page 1 of 1