The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

greenhouse heater

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gadily

PostSubject: greenhouse heater   Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:21 am

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:37 am

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:09 am

Back to top Go down
keepittoasty

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:55 am

Once again Professor, you sure know how to find the gems, and share them! I'm absorbing these as fast as I can
WAAAHOOOOOOOO
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:01 am

ive seen another dome with a rocket burner heater used and i cant find it but i do know it had a barrel in the middle of the greenhouse

Back to top Go down
keepittoasty

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:04 am

That's pretty neat and it's what drew me to this forum. I saw a rocket mass heater in a greenhouse on youtube. After lurking around the permies forum I saw this over and over, all these people putting these in greenhouses and smiling away. Lots of cool designs, benches, inlays and dragons. I decided to delve deeper and I never saw many after videos or posts about how well it was going.

After the initial confusion about what these heaters can actually do, I started to realize that no matter how efficient a burn system is, you cant heat a plastic walled building in the winter with a handful of twigs, shoved into a little hole(even if it looked like a bad ass fire breathing dragon).

I looked into to some gassifier vids and posts around the net and the reality of BTU's per weight of dry wood came in. Its not infinite, and given the R value of a greenhouse, you need lots of BTU's to maintain viable indoor temps during the cold and sub freezing temps of the night. Obviously heating and storing those BTU's in mass is the way to go.

Logically, the next step would be to find something that has high efficiency in combustion, but could be fed in one load and burn steadily for hours. The vids that I dont see much on Youtube are the ones where the happy greenhouse owner is up all night cramming twigs into a hole.

It would be great to just pick up sticks around my yard and problem solved, but it doesn't seem like reality. I cut beetle kill lodegpole here and it takes5-6 cord at least to get through the winter in my log cabin. granted its old and leaky, but its waaay more insulated that in my greenhouse. So twigs wont cut it.

So, through gassifier searches, and learning how much wood will give how much heat, I found this forum. And within a couple months of searching this forum, Its starting to really make sense. Im honing in my design and learning so much. Gadily, i really appreciate all the stuff you throw at me. And likewise to everyone else here. Finding folks who share their knowledge and experience, asking nothing in return is such a blessing. thanks everyone.

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:46 am

oh i have but not with a rocket burner

i like this one

the farm one reverts to pellets for less loading however there is no rule of thumb saying that you cant use pellets at night time therefore a wood burner that could use both systems or swap between them when going for the night would be a good idea to use

wood loading during the day night time use of pellets

Back to top Go down
keepittoasty

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:59 am

second one is hillarious!!!

'saving money, not tied to tha man'
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:11 am

Back to top Go down
Thebigflyin

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:59 pm

Looking good!!

Yes once you start doing it and move from to couch and computer.

REALITY BITES!!

Keep it up. Very interesting
Back to top Go down
http://ecape1820.tripod.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: greenhouse heater   

Back to top Go down

greenhouse heater
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1