The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hello, from another Aussie.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pomwah

PostSubject: Hello, from another Aussie.   Tue May 05, 2015 2:42 am

Greetings folks.

I've been looking at rocket stove videos and information from all over the interweb primarily because I wanted to practice some welding and I'd like to produce something useful at the end of said practice and, well, a rocket stove in my shed would be very useful.

Why welding practice? I'm restoring a 1966 Triumph Spitfire and I want to do as much as possible myself, its a "keep myself busy" thing now I've given up paid work.

Winter is fast approaching my little neck of the woods, SouthWest Victoria, Oz, and while our winters may not be as cold as most of the folk here they feel cold enough to me. I'm determined to build myself a little stove in the near future.

I have been collecting "found" objects and steel supplier offcuts to build a stove based on a large propane tank and influenced by the work of T2H (Trying2LHard) and Ppotty1. Recently though, I came across Pekka Leskela's box stove

and was taken by the simplicity of its design. Best of all, it shouldn't be too hard to achieve for a novice welder and I have all the material to make it..

While I admired Mr. Leskela's design simplicity, I couldn't quite get my head around the stove's internal design, I had to resort to a CAD, (cardboard aided design), model to get it straight in my head. Building the model had me asking questions I couldn't find explicit answers to .... so I'll be winging it. My guess is that the gaps between the different chambers of the stove are 100mm. My modified design adds 50mm to the height, that 50mm is used for the secondary air passage which will have a door on the intake to control the airflow. Similarly, I intend to add a door to the bottom of the burn chamber allowing me to close the top and feed air from below. I am considering adding a grate to lift the fire 25mm from the floor.

That's the plan, being a prototype, as it were, I'll build it all out of 3mm (1/8") mild steel.

I'd be delighted to get suggestions or have it pointed out what will and what will not work.

Cheers,
James
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello, from another Aussie.   Tue May 05, 2015 5:14 am

welcome to the site james

heres another simple design

http://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t326-dyno-v-stove-update

though i did get my hands on the design

heres a universal wood burner can be used upside down (downdraft) and right side up

http://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t460-pallet-burner

on pekkas build he has used secondary air input to the stove

Back to top Go down
Pomwah

PostSubject: Re: Hello, from another Aussie.   Wed May 06, 2015 1:57 am

Thanks Gadily,

Those curved stoves look almost organic, but I'm trying to keep it simple for my first attempt. Straight lines minimise complexity.

Putting glass portals in is tempting, being able to see what's going on would be very useful but it adds an order of intricacy I can do without for build #1.

I'm a little curious about the emphasis given to vortex generation within the stoves, is it to ensure a proper stoichiometric mix, and therefore combustion, or is it more to do with slowing the exhaust gasses down and thus increasing heat transfer?
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello, from another Aussie.   Wed May 06, 2015 5:08 am

I cant truly answer the vortex question but heres my view on the vortex

on creating the vortex we are trying to burn as much waste as possible the added effect of this is we gain much more heat p the vortex tube as it mixes better

the further advantage is it pulls upon the firebox so that when we use the slowing down of the burn box primary air then we are actually causing the gassification of the wood and therefore we are not allowing all the waste product going up the chimney that could be used at the burning stage

hence the usage of secondary air at the vortex point

now back to adding secondary air with a standared system we are actually slowing down the system by adding air into the system but has the desired effect of pulling on the wood being burnt in the firebox

caos system proves this by using the second burn technology in a rocket burner

http://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t302-rs-vortex-testing

coas

same as with these builds

http://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t379-new-twist-on-old-wood-stove
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Hello, from another Aussie.   Thu May 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Pomwah wrote:
I'm a little curious about the emphasis given to vortex generation within the stoves, is it to ensure a proper stoichiometric mix, and therefore combustion, or is it more to do with slowing the exhaust gasses down and thus increasing heat transfer?

gadily gave you 99 % of the answer for the need of the vortex in a wood stove heater. It also also helps to keep more heat at the heater it self and less heat escapes to the chimney. For the same reason, I would not use a vortex in a rocket stove cooker because I need fire to ascend to the pot as much as possible to keep the pot hot, not the stove it self hot. But I suggest as well to use construction details that increase the efficiency of this cooker as well, like combustion chamber and riser tube insulation, secondary air and pre-heated air...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, from another Aussie.   

Back to top Go down

Hello, from another Aussie.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1