The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First build

Go down 
+2
CVI04
caotropheus
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

First build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 3:52 am

You know the rules, without pictures and/or video, the improvements you made, never happened!...
Back to top Go down
g0aix

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 7:12 am

True I know the rules but I dont insult others! I said pics will follow and they will just be patient!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 7:20 am

Very Happy Very Happy

well im curious on the upgrades that you have done to your build seen as you mentioned them
Back to top Go down
g0aix

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 7:38 pm

Video as promised here:  

Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 10:59 pm

Nice compact little stove, looks really clean.
You can be happy with that one.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 11:09 pm

Take a look at this guys pellet basket.

Here is another nice little design, this would enable you to set up the stove to be able to shut it down in an airtight manner in the advent of an emergency.

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 6:31 am

well dave loverly to see your wood burner in action and the person that built it

with thanks for that as well

now id like to ask some information on your stove what are the measurements to your build and i notice is it 3" flue pipe or smaller ?

First build - Page 2 Vlcsna10

First build - Page 2 Vlcsna11

First build - Page 2 Vlcsna12

First build - Page 2 Vlcsna13

and with a nice temperature of 814F

did you notice that the flames was being pulled back down on the last pic you can see this effect
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 6:56 am

That looks to be 4" pipe, which should be the minimum to be used.
Back to top Go down
g0aix

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi guys. All measurements were given on page 1 and have not been changed other than to convert to top feeding which has shortened the area of the burn chamber. When I get time I will post some pictures of the grate used with pellets although no grate is used when running on wood as I can see no improvement when using one.
Back to top Go down
g0aix

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Forgot to say max temp reached on pellets so far was 950f at which point I shut it down to run at 800f.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 6:48 am

Good idea, the metal will start turning bright orange red at those temps.
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: first build   First build - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 4:49 pm

you can give to much air it will cool down your flame but if you add a heat exhanger it might gain more it will carrie the fire through more, more testing is needed
Back to top Go down
g0aix

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 2:04 am

Follow up video showing stove running on wood:

edited gadily: used the youtube video button to insert the video into the post
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: first build   First build - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 4:12 am

i have a suggestion as for an experiment try expaned metal basket then one inch from the bottom make a 1/2inch tube going thru the basket after that i noitced that you have air inlet one inch in the fuel chute use that for regulate your air inlet this is the way i burn mine it worked great less mess with pellets you can still burn chunck wood if you want, nice build
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 10:41 am

or you could also try preheating your primary air inlet  and see the difference

there will be a difference in heat if you use preheated primary air you have some of it doing it as it goes down but preheating of it also gives control of it

just further questions now looks like your either in a shed or a garage by the floor covering you have there i could be wrong

so what size is your heating area L x w x h
how long does a bag of pellets last
what temperatures are you hitting within the area
is it an insulated structure

thankyou for posting your vids

hey roach got to ask are you considering improving on your build at all with what you have seen so far with using your rocket system at all
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: first build   First build - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 4:03 pm

i am going to improve on my system but i am getting ready to move again lost our house right now it is in hold by putting the hole in the basket you are super heating the air as it goes thru by preheating the air it will go higher temperture becomes more efficent
Back to top Go down
g0aix

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 3:20 am

Gadily the stove is in my workshop hence the painted floor! No insulation but walls are cavity block. Stove was not meant to be big enough to heat my whole workshop which measures 24 x 20 x 8 feet but it is a work in progress so that various ideas can be tried until I am satisfied that I have the correct design then I shall build a larger stove that hopefully will heat the workshop. One thing I know is that the heat exchanger on this build is way too small - the exit temperature at the base of the chimney is nearly 500 deg when the top plate is 800 deg so I need to address this in the next build.

Thanks for all the comments.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 7:01 am

to cool your system use radiator fins this will cool your temp at the chimney exit also spread more heat out within the room
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 3:07 pm

I hear you on having to feed it quite frequently.
I got tired of that real fast.

That is the reason why I went with the horizontal fire box.
I could get a hand full of sticks 8" long by about 2"X1.5"  to burn for just about an hour down to coals and would load it back up again and go for about the same time give or take a few minutes.

That is the trade off with the small compact stoves like the one you have.
I am thinking that to do a small one like this but in the batch stove design like ppotty1 did his stove.

A batch stove added to something like this probably could get an hour and a half to two hour burn times and still be incredibly compact.

That will be my next stove design and build challenge for myself.

Take ppotty1's design and shrink it to the scale I have been working in.

Looks good man, you are giving me some ideas for a new stove and just as I described.

I think we can still get quite long burn times and be very efficient and small and compact.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 3:14 pm

g0aix wrote:
Gadily  the stove is in my workshop hence the painted floor! No insulation but walls are cavity block. Stove was not meant to be big enough to heat my whole workshop which measures 24 x 20 x 8 feet but it is a work in progress so that various ideas can be tried until I am satisfied that I have the correct design then I shall build a larger stove that hopefully will heat the workshop.  One thing I know is that the heat exchanger on this build is way too small - the exit temperature at the base of the chimney is nearly 500 deg when the top plate is 800 deg so I need to address this in the next build.

Thanks for all the comments.
Something you could try is where the chimney exits to add a couple of back and forth bends that run the same length of the stove and then back to the back of the stove chimney section then up and out.

You could use the chimney pipe as a heat exchanger if done right.
A bit more slightly but I have seen some real creativity of people even snaking the chimney pipe up the wall behind the stove in order to use the pipe as just that a heat exchanger.

Even saw a felly build steel boxes that held water for heating it.
Have video links if you would like to see them, would have to go dig them up.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 3:16 pm

ROACH wrote:
i am going to improve on my system but i am getting ready to move again lost our house right now it is in hold by putting the hole in the basket you are super heating the air as it goes thru by preheating the air it will go higher temperture becomes more efficent
Sorry to hear about you losing your house I know it can be very difficult.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:26 pm

im already looking at the batch box for this stove t2h

but im also wanting to incorporate the pellet burner as well into the build so it can be loaded with wood all day long but during night can be swapped to pellets instead

im about half way built on my stove allready but decided to make the chamber a little bigger before exit to the exhaust pipe due to high heat at that end that ive seen using the smaller system
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 2:09 pm

The only issue I have with the pellet feed systems.
They all are prone to hanging up and or failure.
I would never trust a gravity feed system overnight while I slept.
Just ask Bigalow Farms.
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: first build   First build - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 12:57 pm

hey t2 i built an pellet heater with graivty feed with pellets 5- 32 oz cups to fill it last three hours burn time have not any failure or backflash yet i am looking to see if i am going to or not my first one had problems with backflash the second one so far burns great but not as hot as the first i have a third one in my driveway still playing with that one it burns as the same as the second one a little hotter through this one is hard to get going after it warms up it is great no backflash
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 7:31 am

Bigalow had picture perfect performance and then one night out of the blue it failed.
What takes place over time is build up of ash and creosote as well the hot temps and cooling times cause warping and distortion and as well degradation of the system.

Then comes the failure when you least expect it, ask Bigalow Farms.
I would never leave a gravity feed system running overnight.

Notice in his update he is giving up pellets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

First build
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next