The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First build

Go down 
+2
CVI04
caotropheus
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
g0aix

First build - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 8:21 pm

First build - Page 3 Vlcsna13

pic showing stove at 538C or 1000F
Back to top Go down
g0aix

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Increased performance has arisen from a redesign of the firegrate when running on wood pellets. Air is drawn from the vertical feed and preheated as it is fed to the front of the grate where it travels under the fire and into the vortex chamber at the same time as air passes up through the pellets on the grate sustaining the burn. Grate is now 30mm above the floor and runs the whole length to the deflector or throatplate at the entrance to the vortex chamber.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 7:51 am

thanks for the extra information and input goaix

any chance of some extra photos as well of the setup

and what temperatures have you got now mind if i ask but is that also using less pellets within your system
Back to top Go down
g0aix

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2015 11:38 pm

Gadily

Difficult to photograph changes as they are all internal but I will try when I have time and post the results here. 1000 deg F was achieved on 4 consecutive firings so fair to say that it is repeatable now but to achieve this temperature I am using more not less pellets. I control the heat of the stove by the quantity of wood pellets fed and have an insert for the feed tube that when in place restricts maximum temperature to about 850 def F on a reduced feed of pellets.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 1:12 pm

If you know how to use sketchup you could do a drawing to show us if you cannot photo it.
I got over a thousand degrees as well with mine when it was in action.

Too hot for mild steel, I had to throw a couple of pieces of steel in the corner of the elbow to suck up some of the heat to keep the steel from going cheery red.
Back to top Go down
g0aix

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2015 9:26 pm

I have noticed too that when using wood and therefore no grate, the temp at the corner of the elbow reaches over 1000 deg whilst the temp at the top of the riser tube is less at about 800 deg. On the other hand when using wood pellets and a grate, the opposite is true. The elbow temp rarely goes above 700 deg but the temp at the top of the riser is 1000+ deg. Can't explain this - anybody got any ideas - my thoughts are that it is due to airflow which is more efficient in the wood pellet configuration using a grate.
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: first build   First build - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 1:55 am

ok to let every one know my expaned metal grate center tube witch was working great failed burned out in the center of the tube any one know if you can stainless grate tube would work better the rest of the grate was ok and do they make stainless flux core wire, the pellets have less moisture and less ash content is will gasify better where chunck wood has more of everything
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 05, 2015 7:16 am

while i remember this post

ive got titanium bars for my build for the grate wasnt too bad on price so considered it for this build

stainless steel is better than steel cast iron should be even better dont know what the difference would be with titanium for the bars would do with the system

im also considering building one of these

so at last it looks like me would be needing advice from you guys
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 7:23 am

roach, G0aix you guys have run the pellet systems a query here

how have you gone on with the pellets and the ash within your systems have you had to clean them out at all so far and where was the ash deposited the most

im a little concerned that they might be a build of pellet ash up to the riser tube and past the riser tube that could cause a blockage reducing the efficiency of the system when left on for extended times

as im just about to make a cast for this system but im using 3,1/2" for the inner chamber
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: First build    First build - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 2:33 pm

hey gladly, the only problem with the ash was my grate would plug over time just have to shake the grate to would go back to normal for another 6 hours the most of the ash would go down into the ash bin have not plugged up any thing yet but i not used it in two weeks i have been moving to a another house
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 4:57 am

tonight i will be doing 2 forms with perlight and refractory cement

the form for this one is here

First build - Page 3 20160210

im curious to see the outcome using a form with a pellet stove so decided to make one for a small version of it
next part is to make the surround and i will be adding ppottys air circulaters

im also considering the pellets side for this system but im looking for the longest time that i can gain with a 15kg bag of pellets
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 8:29 am

heres the form refractory cemented

First build - Page 3 20160211

small one should be fine its only 16" high x 3 1/2" vortex the entrance is also 3 1/2" as well
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: first build   First build - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 1:52 pm

looks great so far lots of left i am closer to being done moving then it will be time to get the electrial done on my shed so i can get back to work it will be in june i hope still a lot of work to do yet
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 21, 2016 2:11 am

secondary hole predrilled after 17hrs after being made up and i know it bulged down in middle I dont mind it due grinding it off when solid

First build - Page 3 20160215
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 21, 2016 4:14 pm

Looks pretty darn good gadily!
Right on man, I am glad to see you still experimenting.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 12:28 am

stripped down now

First build - Page 3 20160219

First build - Page 3 20160220

secondary air inlet

First build - Page 3 20160221

First build - Page 3 20160222

First build - Page 3 20160228

Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Looks good!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 11:18 am

3 1/2" internal vortex

First build - Page 3 20160231

First build - Page 3 20160232
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: first build   First build - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 3:32 pm

nice vortex what now? are you going to add to it
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 11:50 am

yes i am roach ive already built the frame and also the heat exchanger

need you to pm us though if you would do

im looking at a dual system on this one but also in seperate parts

where both pellets and sticks can be fired at the same time but only one side can be open to be fed fresh incoming preheated air

im putting my design where my mouth is this time all that ive suggested im building into this one

I would also like goaix to pm us as well sorry its the only way i can talk to you

then i can discuss some designs with all of you on this build
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First build   First build - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

First build
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3