The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gary B.

wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? Empty
PostSubject: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 3:45 am

Gary B here. I am in the middle of my second rocket stove build. I am building this one just using my wire feed and old school cutting torch. Reason being many many guys wanted to build one like my first one but did not have the equipment it took to build one or the money for the very spendy stainless steel. So this new stove will be one anyone can build and afford. I have the plans done and I am taking detailed pictures as I build. Once the stove is built and proven I will post here. Right now my cast riser is drying and I am starting on the steel fabrication.

Anyway I have had a number of guys stop in to my shop and ask me if I could build them a rocket stove insert to go inside there outside boiler. So today I went over and measured the inside of an outside boiler

44 inches deep X 35 inches wide X 40 inches high.  The door opening is 29 inches high X 21 inches wide. This boiler was made by CLASSIC. Most of my neighbors have these. Anyway they burn 20 plus cords of wood a year, they smoke like crazy. My Rocket stove has everyone talking here as I am burning a fraction of the wood and no smoke. Like I was telling Dale (trying2hard) I can't go into town with out someone asking about my stove. Now the word is out about my affordable rocket stove I am building now and it seems like I am getting a lot of drop in visits to check out the new design.

Anyway if someone has any ideas on a possible rocket stove insert for these outside wood boilers I would love to here from you.  Thank you in advance..
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 7:22 am

hi gary could you possibly name the boiler at all

we need a little more info on the boiler design like how it heats the water and where does it heat the water

some outside boilers use the boiler internal to do all the heating with it on another ive seen the water is heated via a downdraft system and also the firebox sides

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 8:26 am

heres an idea making a non downdraft into a downdraft system

flue is at top of boiler

wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? Boiler10

it uses the method of ppotys and something ive seen via my downdraft system

the blue is the preheated secondary air goes up and back down before entering the square tube behind the sheet the air holes are pointing up in the system

the down part is tubing before the exit to the flue that runs back up the system then out via the top flue

please note the sides must be heated up via the firebox and so must the roof of the box what this will do is heat the hot air even more as it runs around the system before exiting via the flue pipe

I believe this design is ok for an all around water boiler system and incorporates heated secondary air therefore secondary burning
Back to top Go down
Gary B.

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 8:56 am

The boiler I looked at is exactly like the green one pictured above. The water jackets are top and sides of fire box (the dimensions of the fire box are above. This boiler has an electric draft now meaning it opens and closes via room thermostat. No forced air draft just all open and closed down to all but small amount to keep fire smoldering. The guy I talked to this morning say his boiler runs with a max water temp of 180 F. These cost $6,000 to $10,000. Even if A design could cut the wood consumption from 20 loggers cords to 10 this would save these guys $1500-$2000 a year. I know with my big rocket stove I could heat the same cubic ft. for 5 cords or less. Problem is these guys are heating 2 and three separate buildings with water radiator exchangers not air ducts.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 10:07 am

if its this type that uses fins by design

http://www.centralboiler.com/products/classic/

then introducing secondary air into the fins could give a much better burn its the baffle plate at the end that is allowing too much smoke and flames out

the older square box type is the one im on about with no fins

the manual for it

http://www.centralboiler.com/media/1803/9000166_manual_classic_27-jan-2014.pdf

however a plate rounded towards the front would cause more smoke to be burnt as the flik towards the flame would burn more of the gasses before exiting the chimney

wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? Second10

the wood fires use a flik to burn more of the gases

wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? Cleanb10

even a plate to deflect some of the gases back into the system could work

wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? Second11
Back to top Go down
Gary B.

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 12:05 pm

I went back and checked the boiler out and it does have the wavy burn box ceiling just like the one pictured above. It looks like about the only thing to do is to add some secondary air for a cleaner burn. I am not sure this will cut wood consumption much.

So my next question is has anyone built a from ground up rocket stove boiler??
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 5:59 am

no ive never seen one or seen one posted up on any forum so far however i did find this

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t686-rocket-stove-boiler

ive done enough research and only know of the other rocket stove systems that use storage of heat within them these are

rayburn stove
esse stove
aga stove

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t549-cooker-oven-or-just-oven-build

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t456-rocket-water-heater

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t698-downdraft-boiler
Back to top Go down
Gary B.

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 6:05 am

Ok thank you for information..
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 6:31 am

ive seen an adaption done to an esse system i think but it didnt heat the boiler part up as too far away from the heat as the heat was only at the hob plate not at the boiler plate the change to a vortex system changed its dynamics
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 3:35 am

Gary B. wrote:
I went back and checked the boiler out and it does have the wavy burn box ceiling just like the one pictured above. It looks like about the only thing to do is to add some secondary air for a cleaner burn. I am not sure this will cut wood consumption much.

I did something like this with a simple wood stove (not boiler) I converted to my relatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu2FciFyNoQ

Wood consumption before conversion: 13 cubic metres per year

Wood consumption after conversion 9 cubic metres per year

It cut a bit wood consumption, but it did not slash it to half!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????   wood -  Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler  ????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rocket stove insert for existing outside wood boiler ?????
Page 1 of 1