The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

tent stove

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ROACH

PostSubject: tent stove    Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:39 pm

ok take a rocket stove make it smaller use a two quart can design smaller tubes like one inch tubes
Back to top Go down
sae140

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:54 pm

There are quite a few 'Ammo Can' Tent Stove videos on YouTube - built along the traditional box stove format - but very few folk have taken up the 'rocket' option.

However, if you Google "Ammo Can Rocket Stove Kartographer", you'll see a very simple open-air cooking stove made from an Ammo Box, a s/s elbow. and a few handfuls of perlite. Now - if the saucepan support bars were made easily removable, and replaced by a bolt-on chimney, insulated where it passes through the canvas, of course, then you could have a really neat and simple 'Ammo Box Rocket Tent Heater'.

Thinks - if a rocket riser was made from a s/s tube inside a fire extinguisher (say), then the flue could be taken out of the tent horizontally. That would really get the neighbours talking !
Over to you ....
C
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:05 pm

i know of 2 of them

i like the one above due to the oven
Back to top Go down
ROACH

PostSubject: tent stove   Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:42 am

i like the upper one also just make it to run pellets and we have it made, and make it run 8 hr burn time that would nice
Back to top Go down
rockgardner

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:25 am

I like the first stove but it seemed a bit inefficient for heat output. I don't know if that's the nature of rocket ovens but I would think something as simple as adding 2 - 4 ft of exhaust pipe would help a lot. Lowering the location of the exhaust outlet would be helpful as well. Maybe this was built specifically to get the oven readings it was getting, which I suppose were reasonable.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:38 am

from cold they are inefficent its once you get them warm is another matter

also the height is important thats a small scale version but does the job in ample time more height means more weight to transport added advantage gives heat off

rocket ovens are not a new consept take a look at aga and rayburn and esse cookers there the oldest cooker based systems
Back to top Go down
Stoked

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:15 am

I have made a few tent stoves, one out of stainless steel food trays, one from a gas cylinder and one from an ammo box. None of them are rocket stoves but I thought that a little discussion about how the jack (the interface between flu and tent wall) and how they perform might be worthy.

The SS tub version measures 12 x 6" with an internal baffle, and although it functions very well as a tent stove, the door is way too small, meaning that fuel has to be processed to suit and I'm constantly monitoring and refuelling it.

The 50cal ammo can stove solves this problem and once I added some secondary air intakes and lined the interior, is very adjustable and works very nicely(for a box stove)

This is the flue set up outside of the tent for both stoves. The flue is wired to a bipod.

The gas cylinder stove has a horizontal flue exit and a ninety degree elbow. I usually wire the flue to a stick bipod so it can't touch the tent wall. I have since invested in a 7' roll up stainless flue from seek outside, a great piece of gear for tent camping(also comes in titanium)

This is by far the most efficient stove. Once up to temp, it burns smokeless and puts out an impressive amount of heat. The large door means that big hardwood logs can be used and, with sensible air control, doesn't need to be watched constantly. Also a good cooking surface for cast iron ovens etc.
However, I'm sure that a rocket stove would out perform all of these easily.

I haven't added a flue damper, as I want to be ultra careful about carbon monoxide build up inside the tent. Not sure if I'm being over cautious, but it's something that I will always trade over efficiency in this application.

The stove jack is made from a fibreglass fire blanket with a ring of carbon felt stitched around the hole with fine cable. It has lasted for 2 seasons so far and doesn't show any signs of degrading. This tent and stove project was all made from recycled materials(the tent from an old canvas tarp and the stoves from various stuff in my shed) and was really to see if I could make a winter hot tent set up without spending very much money(about $40).

I'm not sure if you would need further heat insulation in your stove jack, with a rocket stove or not. My guess is maybe not on a canvas tent, but everything needs to be more protected in a synthetic tent.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:31 am

nice interesting setup i have seen the bigger version of the ss plate on youtube had even got a copy of it on other hard drive for reference

the rocket stove is good however poor when it comes to refilling them then the use of wood pellets come into there own but these have there problems as well and can block up the fire chamber and co2 is within the tent
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:47 pm

I find this little stove to be a useful heater. It might be good inside a tent for some quick heat.  Burn time can be adjusted by how many holes are punched in the bottom of the paint can (and depending on the exhaust flue length).  The heater cranks out tons of radiant heat.  Of course, co may be an issue at the end of the burn since the stove is not sealed.

http://www.biochar-international.org/sites/default/files/1G_Toucan_TLUD_for_Biochar.pdf
Back to top Go down
Stoked

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:14 am

the rocket stove is good however poor when it comes to refilling them then the use of wood pellets come into there own but these have there problems as well and can block up the fire chamber and co2 is within the tent [/quote]

I was going to suggest that a pellet feed would be good in this application, as it will self feed, but I don't have any experience with them. It's interesting to hear that they can clog, it would be pretty bad in a tent setting.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:44 am

yeah theres a few that can do it

look at wiseway burner real life not the advertised

theres a few designs on here that do use pellet burners to burn some succesfull but theres always a chance that it may block up with unburnt pellets depending on your design
Back to top Go down
ROACH

PostSubject: tent stove    Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:01 pm

THE ONLY TIME I have my pellet rocket stove have a problem  was on the exhaust side because of a bent 90  elbow not with a tee with a cleanout i have had the burn grate plugup only thing it did was it lost heat not smoke into the room also i have found the if you put a one inch hole in the burn grate it will act as an turbo charger but the grate will still plug up but no smoke into the room so far it worked good also i only run it when someone is home to watch it and gladly the wiseway stove are the last time i looked was 4500.00 dollars they work good and are a rocket stove someone can make there own i did e-mail zerofossilfuel he said his stove is still working great with out clogging up but you still have to clean every two weeks mine will once a month
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tent stove    

Back to top Go down

tent stove
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1