The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TEG Thermoelectric generator

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CVI04

TEG Thermoelectric generator Empty
PostSubject: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Does anyone have experience with TEGs??? Thinking about using them on my stove to run some fans.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 8:46 pm

TEG's are expensive and are inefficient power generators. My first choice to run fans would be power from the AC mains. If your off grid, then TEG's might be the way to go. You have to be careful not to overheat the thermoelectric module or the internal solder junctions will melt and destroy the module.
Back to top Go down
CVI04

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 12:33 am

Thanks for the input. My stove is intended to be off grid and I was thinking the TEGs would make the stove a self sufficient piece of equipment.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 8:26 am

This company has been around for a while selling TEG's ...... most of the generators look like they are designed for placement on top of a wood stove. That's the hottest surface. If you go the TEG route, you may want to get your stove screaming hot and measure the surface temperatures to look for the best place to mount them. Any temp over 450F, and you might destroy your power source.

http://thermoelectric-generator.com/teg-thermoelectric-power-generators-for-sale/

Have fun !
Back to top Go down
CVI04

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks Mr. Heater, I will check them out. I might have to call and get some technical assistance. I have limited space on my stove and was hoping to be able to use the heatsink cooling fan(s) to push air through my heat exchanger tubes as well.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 9:21 am

There should be a lot of natural upward air flow by convection through the steel channels if the tops are left open. Are you thinking of forcing the air downward through the channels using some type of header on the top ?
Back to top Go down
CVI04

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:12 am

The top of the tubes are capped with an opening towards the front to direct the air into the room. I would like to force the air out and create a circulation in the room.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 4:34 pm

OK, gotcha.

Since heat rises to the ceiling and stratifies, it might be easier and more cost effective to circulate the room air with a 12V ceiling fan, rather than forcing air through the stove's heat exchanger. You will need to move a lot of air to equalize the room temperature.  If you go the self contained stove route, I would suggest using a high CFM 12V blower for maximum air flow and pressure through the channels.  The blowers are usually much quieter also.

A blower this size consumes around 10 watts of electrical power which will give you about 35 CFM of open air flow.  It will force hot air from the heater, but depending on the room size, may not circulate the room air enough to keep you comfortable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120mm-DC-Brushless-Blower-Cooling-Fan-12V-120x120x32mm-12032S-NEW-Big-Airflow-/251487549322?hash=item3a8dd3778a:g:OXYAAOxyjxlTM8~2
Back to top Go down
CVI04

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyThu Jan 07, 2016 2:49 am

Thanks Mr. Heater, I will keep the blower in mind. I don't need a lot of airflow through the heat exchanger. I might use a combination of the two.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyThu Jan 07, 2016 5:10 am

Your welcome CV.   A combination sounds like your best bet.

BTW: Very nice stove build ! Cool
Back to top Go down
CVI04

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator EmptyThu Jan 07, 2016 6:17 am

The build has been a great experience! I appreciate everyone on this forum and how much we help each other. It has made me think outside the box and start the creative juices flowing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TEG Thermoelectric generator   TEG Thermoelectric generator Empty

Back to top Go down

TEG Thermoelectric generator
Page 1 of 1