The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Clarke glass-door box stove to rocket stove

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Teignburn

PostSubject: Clarke glass-door box stove to rocket stove   Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:07 am

Hi, folks.
Over the last two winters, I have adapted a budget box stove garage heater (380 mm wide x 260 deep x 475 high) to a rocket design, with bulk-feeding and an internal riser tube. The idea was to keep the glass door so that the fire remains visible, use the box stove to contain an insulated feed chamber/pre-heater, and put the riser up through the existing top exit, avoiding serious re-working of the Clarke's box stove outline.

I have a 2MB word file with sketches, schematics of early developments, and photos, and a 25MB video of the system working, with a 3-D schematic at the end. Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether I can load them, or how to do it (I have never uploaded videos to YouTube, for instance). Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Clarke glass-door box stove to rocket stove   Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:28 am

yes contact me and send them via email if you want to do

and im also interested in your build as most clarke stuff is uk based
Back to top Go down
Teignburn

PostSubject: Re: Clarke glass-door box stove to rocket stove   Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:26 pm

The intended design features of the stove are:

minimal modification to the Clarke box stove, in case it needed to be converted back, or sold
  provide batch burning capability
  initially steel tunnel and riser, but well insulated to give a high temperature burn (a cast riser is definitely an option for a later version)
  swirl throat to riser, inducing a flame vortex
  pre-heated secondary air introduced into the riser above the tunnel entrance
  retain the glass door, for aesthetics, air control, and garage fire safety
  cooking plate for kettle, ‘man-cave' roasts, etc

By removing the cast flue holder from the top centre of the Clarke stove, the central steel tunnel/riser assembly can be inserted or withdrawn into the box stove for modifications/rebuilds, etc.  Sealing is by collar, fire rope, and sand.

Since the 2016 design,

I have lined the area in front of the (very short) tunnel with fire board, and created a firebox capable of taking small logs (works well when everything is up to temperature).

Behind the riser ‘wings’ the stove is filled with vermiculite.

The heat exchanger lid can be a round or square 3mm plate - the round one has a viewing hole with removable glass, for observing the vortex, and tweaking airflows during development.

I think that was also your post on a stove for a small wooden boat?  I have made a fairly conventional glass-door stove for my small bilge-keeled Westerly sail cruiser.  I am planning a removable stainless rocket stove to hang above the stove below a permanent flue.  I like the idea of a simple L- or V-shaped manual feed arrangement to get plenty of heat when you want it, and no coals or carbon monoxide when I go to sleep alongside it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x67stwj
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Clarke glass-door box stove to rocket stove   Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Thats an interesting design basis for a rocket stove change from a standared unit built for another purpose
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clarke glass-door box stove to rocket stove   

Back to top Go down

Clarke glass-door box stove to rocket stove
Page 1 of 1