The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

charcoal stove

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
gadily

stove - charcoal stove Empty
PostSubject: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 am

i decided to build a charcoal stove

3 1/2" box section x 500mm high a rocket stove cap for easy filling

this is at its prebuilt stage as i was waning to play with it to see what i could get out of it

stove - charcoal stove 20171217

ive now changed the bottom from square to round as i wanted an easy to put in burn plate which just slides into place inside of the square tube

i will be testing other things as well
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 am

Looks interesting. Charcoal combustion needs lots of air ...... Is it going to be fan assisted combustion ?
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyWed Jan 24, 2018 12:06 pm

not entirely correct used as boat heaters

the flue is small 1 1/2"

stove - charcoal stove Home_110
stove - charcoal stove 2s-l1610
stove - charcoal stove 3s-l1610

it lasts about 15hrs on one load with very little ash left depending on your charcoal that you use

heats about 200f at low whilst high is hot but not enough to burn old paint off painted pipe or box

that box section is small about 3 1/2" more built as a long term heater or overnight heater

part of reason why im building it
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyWed Jan 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Ah, ok. I thought that you were building a charcoal cooking stove at first.

That's a nice little heater. The long burn time is a plus ! I like the fiberglass lighting wick idea.

I might try building one using the 6" x 6" dimension for heating the inside of a small (6' x 8') greenhouse. Just enough heat to keep the temperature above freezing overnight.

What kind of charcoal are you using ? Lump or briquettes ?
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 12:08 am

you can use 4" box section either 3mm or 5mm ive used 5mm thick steel

the extra info too 6" is for convection of the heat from the stove so its an 1" around the system

im interested if the rocket stove reference can improve the heat output of this stove by preheating it however may effect its burning reference of hrs to burn through it

im not using any of them yet however

burn times vs ash deposit left after burning

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 12:14 am

from other models out there

stove - charcoal stove Image510
stove - charcoal stove Image511
stove - charcoal stove Image611
stove - charcoal stove Image610
stove - charcoal stove Img_2210
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 12:20 am

stove - charcoal stove Heater10
stove - charcoal stove Bengco10
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyMon Jan 29, 2018 1:03 am

Nice heaters.

You can actually get the CO to burn with a blue flame for use with cooking.   I built a natural draft cooking stove that burns the charcoal. Works well, and no soot deposits on the cookware.  Similar to cooking with an electric heating element.

The air inside the stove body is preheated by the charcoal combustion.  The heated buoyant air flows through the charcoal bed (much like an internal chimney) at an accelerated rate.  When the charcoal bed temperature increases to bright orange, there is auto ignition of the carbon monoxide gas.

https://vimeo.com/225751776

stove - charcoal stove Stove10
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 am

interesting vid as well interesting stove

ive also added some fins to mine changed the base to round

stove - charcoal stove 20180211
stove - charcoal stove 20180210

first test as is then test with the heat shield final test is an update to it
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyWed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Looking good.  Heavy duty !  Let us know how the testing goes ....

I am getting the pieces together to build one from an asparagus steamer.   In process .....

stove - charcoal stove Steame10

Update ..... The heater is finished and ready for testing ... more to come ...

stove - charcoal stove Img_1112
stove - charcoal stove Img_1113

Update ... I filled the heater with small pieces of lump charcoal.  Bottom lit the charcoal.  Closed the lid, and the heater eventually went out.  The grade of charcoal that I am using is small, and the fine pieces block the air flow through the stove body.

To solve this problem, I used the basket that originally came with the steamer.  The basket sits slightly above the bottom of the pot.  The basket sides were bent inwards to allow air flow through the stove and around the basket full of charcoal.

stove - charcoal stove Img_1114

In a second test, I filled the basket with the same type of charcoal.  I TOP lit the charcoal, as it's much easier to light with a propane torch from the top of the heater.  Closed the lid, and the heater works just fine now.  The heater slowly reached operating temperature as the charcoal burned.  The heater sides get VERY hot.  The charcoal load burned for four hours set at maximum heat.  All of the charcoal burned, and very little ash was left in the ash pan after the burn.

I still have to work on a few "tweaks"", but the heater works well.

Last edited by Mr. Heater on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 am

your beating me to it as ive got other things in the way for me to get mine finished

still got testing to do on it

looking a really nice build there as well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: charcoal stove   stove - charcoal stove Empty

Back to top Go down

charcoal stove
Page 1 of 1