The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

First stove

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pipeprojoe

PostSubject: First stove   Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:43 pm

New to the forum and also new to rocket style stoves.

Here is my first build. Any input would be appreciated.
I had a bunch of scrap pipe at work I used to make this stove.
The body or fire box of the stove is 10" sch 40 carbon steel x around 16" deep,
The riser tube is 3" sch. 80 carbon steel pipe, and the outer pipe (down draught pipe?)
Is 5" sch 40 cs pipe. Using 3" pellet stove for vent.
I ran the stove for a fer hours and it ran smokeless once heated up, takes a while with all the heavy steel, maby firebrick the firebox?
I am still messing with the stove, trying vortex plates in riser and preheated secondary air into the riser, have not had time to test the mods yet.
Thanks in advanced.

Back to top Go down
Pipeprojoe

PostSubject: Re: First stove   Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Trying to figure out how to upload pics..
Back to top Go down
Pipeprojoe

PostSubject: Re: First stove   Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:12 pm

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=7&u=18659365

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=1&u=18659365

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=5&u=18659365

I plugged the inlet on the back of the stove, added a pipe inside from front to riser pipe for hot secondary air, and also added vortex fins into riser, will try and burn it tomorrow to see if the mods helped or hurt.
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: First stove   Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Pipeprojoe

To post pictures, you enter the links you just posted, right click the picture and copy picture address or URL code. This will give the location of the picture. After that, when you write a message, in the toolbar you press a command that says "Insert an image". A small window opens and you just past there the URL of the picture. Then you press the "insert" command and you have a line of code. When you send your message, the picture will appear.

This is a really nice stove. If you want to increase heat output of the stove you need to install a wider heat exchanger (what you called down draft pipe), almost as wide as the firebox, I would suggest a 8 inch pipe. This way, gases on the way to the chimney have more space to expand and more heat to release. One other possibility suggested by ppotty1 to other member of the forum is to install fins along small diameter heat exchanger to allow more heat to be dissipated. Also other people suggest (smiff) that got more heat output when they replaced their 3 inch riser tubes by 4 inch pipes. You need to install a service door to clean the space between the riser tube and the heat exchanger. You can install a dumper in the chimney collar, it will allow you to burn wood for longer periods and still achieve high temperatures in the stove.

All we need now is a video of the stove working!
Back to top Go down
Pipeprojoe

PostSubject: Re: First stove   Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Ok cool thanks for the input, I was thinking the same thing on the door there, ill try to post a vid ASAP, I'm working on the stove at work during lunch so I don't get a lot of progress fast. Thanks again for the input!
Back to top Go down
Bezman

PostSubject: Re: First stove   Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:04 am

Hey Piperprojoe,

Great looking stove! I bet it pushes out some heat once all that metal is up to speed / heat!

It would appear as though you are cursed by the newbie 7 day rule that has prevented me from posting pictures of my first rocket stove. Today should be the 7th day so I will be posting later today  :roll: 

Nice layer of snow on the ground too.....bet the stove has turned up just in time.

All the best.

Bezman
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin

PostSubject: Re: First stove   Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:45 pm

I really like this stove, nice job!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First stove   

Back to top Go down

First stove