The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

V rocket rooman water heater

Go down 
+3
Pekka Leskelä
T2H
ppotty1 Admin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

heater - V rocket rooman water heater Empty
PostSubject: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 11:59 pm

This is my current project just working on a few ideas before I get to start welding it all up.

Few changes so far..
Internally Insulate both outside walls of firebox with refractory board.
Insulate underneath stove with refractory board.
Make door of 1"-2" square tube drill holes in tube side facing glass to provide air wash, couple of slots in outside of door with covers to control air input.

Still to figure out....
Placement of secondary air feed.
Water jacket internal thickness...prob 2".

Back to top Go down
https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 2:29 am

Have you been able to do a mock up on this yet?
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:05 am

Not yet, the lad who is getting the steel sheet for me only just dropped it off plus there are two pieces missing ! going to take the bits I have round to another mates house to get it in his bending maching.
Hope to start on it next week and think Im leaving out the water jacket as I know that part will work anyway.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 5:12 pm

What are your steel prices like for projects like you have worked on?
It would be interesting to know.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 5:14 pm

You may not have to use a pump, you may be able to use a thermal siphon.
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 4:37 am

The cost of steel here has gone crazy over the last few years so I cant tell you what this would cost, I get the steel from a friend who runs a small company that make signs etc. I ask him to keep the off cuts he has no use for and I pay him over the scrap price he would normally get. The cost for this project is around £20.00
Back to top Go down
Pekka Leskelä

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:11 pm

It probably needs a shortcut to the chimey for the lighting up. Should be easy to make a damper for that.

Check this interesting downdraft stove Twinfire
http://www.wittus.com/
Door handle operates also the damper.
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 11:35 am

Updates..

Secondary air feed going in underneath the stove with air control. 
Water jacket will be 2 inch.

I did have second thoughts on building a mock up and was going to go straight for the final build version. However The final build will probably have to wait now so will crack on with the mock up version and get it all working....hopefully.
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 11:37 am

Pekka Leskelä wrote:
It probably needs a shortcut to the chimey for the lighting up. Should be easy to make a damper for that.

Check this interesting downdraft stove Twinfire
http://www.wittus.com/
Door handle operates also the damper.
Wow nice stoves Pekka...nice prices too :o
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Latest vid and progress on this.

Back to top Go down
woodrascal

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Looking very Good!

Any ideas as to how many btu's/hr your finished boiler will put out?
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Nice stove

My main concern goes for water temperatures being too high. Are you going to heat water is a closed or a open system?
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 4:27 am

Woodrascal....I have no idea what the output will be, I guess I could figure it out though.

Caotrop...Open system, water passes through a vented coil in the cylinder for hot water, and directly through the radiators all part of the same system. When pressure builds up usually through overheating a stat fires up a pump to push it round the rads. never managed to boil these yet ;) 
Back to top Go down
woodrascal

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 10:52 pm

ppotty1 Admin wrote:
Woodrascal....I have no idea what the output will be, I guess I could figure it out though.

Is there a formula you could pass on to work out the surface area/volume/material thickness/whatever, required to achieve a given number of btu's/hr output? It would be a great help to me for my own rocket boiler project.

Many thanks
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 9:01 am

woodrascal wrote:
ppotty1 Admin wrote:

Is there a formula you could pass on to work out the surface area/volume/material thickness/whatever, required to achieve a given number of btu's/hr output? It would be a great help to me for my own rocket boiler project.

Many thanks
Will have a word with a mate of mine who's a heating engineer, pretty sure he will be able to help out.
Back to top Go down
alan m

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 8:13 am

looking good.
it should work great.
i think i would add a second layer to the second door. have a sheet flush with the inside.. maybe wedge it there then leave a gap and put a second sheet outside that.
the air gap should insulate it a bit and keep the heat in the boiler

i think i would change the back of the boiler a bit. you have the heat going down adn back up behind the boiler.
i would worry that you will be heating the exaust gasses a bit.
i would put a layer of insulation at the back of that plate. then continue the boiler up behind the insulation.
then conect the return from the cylender to that
hopefully the exaust gasses would be hotter than the return temps adn would then pre heat the water before it got to the intense heat of the main boiler.

i would also add some kind of heat sink to that area. this should increase the surface area and pull more heat out of the exaust gasses.
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks Alan, All of the heat on this so far is radiant I would guess the stove body will be cooler once the Jacket is filled, Id like to keep the temps fairly high in the flue and inside the body to reduce condensation, will know alot more once I fill the jacket and take more readings. Could end up changing alot more yet.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 am

i like your design seen the vids

but to cancel the drip down of water inside the system use a preheat water system

preheat either at flue point or preheat externally to the main heat system your creating a box which holds heat use this heat as a preheat system

just one thing make sure parts can be swapable as this is plumbers gripes with any system they design it takes ages to swap old parts out and the amount of things that you need to take apart just to get to this part is the most annoying
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: V rocket rooman water heater   heater - V rocket rooman water heater Empty

Back to top Go down

V rocket rooman water heater
Page 1 of 1