The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rocketeer builds The Tank

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rocketeer

Rocketeer builds The Tank  Empty
PostSubject: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Ok I was looking for small stove for my work shop 16 X20 and very well insulated. I did not want to build a chimney so… I found this stove built by a guy on you tube known as Zero Fossil fuel. He is into Bedini / Tesla  stuff. This was several months back and I liked its simplicity. I will complete this stove pretty much as drawn so I have my heater. I will then look forward to a second light weight higher efficiency build.
go to alt-nrg.org/index.shtml

I will post more soon  Thanks

I guess in seven days :(
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 1:21 am

you mean this one

however it still uses a chimney as all rocket stoves do need this for escaping burnt gasses
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 5:00 am

The round stove on the left hand side of this video is extremely efficente and simple to build. This stove that I describe was first suggested by Pekka, you can see his videos as well.

Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 5:11 am

I have watched the series on Zero. Another early influence of mine.
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 6:41 am

THATS IT YES but not nearly what I consider a chimney

gadily wrote:
you mean this one

however it still uses a chimney as all rocket stoves do need this for escaping burnt gasses
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 11:23 am

I am building cant post pictures yet but I am building
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 12:10 pm

i wish i was lol got most of the stuff i just wanted the 6x6 burn chamber as i like to see the fire burn inside of it

but steel is so expensive here in uk
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 1:39 am

I understand about the expense. I have been lucky so far My major expense on steel was the outer tank. A used piece of 12 inch well casing 1/4 thick wall 4 feet long . This had a 1/4 inch thick tar and paper coating on the entire out side I had to remove. $46.00 and 18.00 for a piece of 3/8 round stock & 1inch by 1/8 9 feet of mild steel. I also have 36.00 in fire brick. Well off to do more work on her. I hope to do a test burn today. Once that is done I should be close to finishing

4 DAYS UNTIL I CAN POST PICTURES!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Well I scrounged and I bought, I built and I thought. I did all I could to fallow a plan

Rocketeer builds The Tank  IMG_4679

I gotta say it took far longer than I ever dreamed to get to here. I have enjoyed the build to this point.

I was disappointed with the first burn. I think I know what I did wrong and I hope to have time this weekend to change it.

Ok my theory! I had poor draw until I got the stove a little warm. Then she was drawing good until she got real warm. The flu never got warm.

I think I have to little clearance between the top of my j tube and the outer tank ,about 1 3/4 inch

More  to come

Last edited by Rocketeer on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Unfortunately, we cannot see the video. It is set to "private"...
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 2:53 pm

caotropheus wrote:
Unfortunately, we cannot see the video. It is set to "private"...

Yea I am learning  :lol: 
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 3:19 pm

You are very precise in your constructions. First I agree with you, just give a bit more space between the top of the riser tube and the top of the heat exchanger.

Second, in the second video, did you make the fire test with a chimney? can you show us details of the chimney? does it go straight up or is it horizontal? where is the chimney exit located in relation to the combustion chamber? With a straight up vertical chimney, there is a sweet spot where you restrict the primary air and at the same time you have enough air for combustion. This way, you have immediate draw from the chimney and no smoke or fire comes out through the fuel loading door.
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 3:42 am

caotropheus wrote:
You are very precise in your constructions. First I agree with you, just give a bit more space between the top of the riser tube and the top of the heat exchanger.

Second, in the second video, did you make the fire test with a chimney? can you show us details of the chimney? does it go straight up or is it horizontal? where is the chimney exit located in relation to the combustion chamber? With a straight up vertical chimney, there is a sweet spot where you restrict the primary air and at the same time you have enough air for combustion. This way, you have immediate draw from the chimney and no smoke or fire comes out through the fuel loading door.

Thanks for the kind words and the reply. This video is not the best but will show you the chimney. I have it apart and will get a better vid later along with some dimensions . I want to learn about this Sweet spot.
I am looking forward to you ideas and truly appreciate any and all responses.  

Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 3:16 pm

Did you fire the stove outdoors? does it smoke outdoors the same way it smokes indoors?

It seems to me that your building is very well insulated. Sooner or later you will have to add outside air to the stove.
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 11:49 pm

https://2img.net/h/i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j415/kcjim78/Rocket%20stove/Rocket_drawing_sm.jpg
Ok I opened up my clearance in the top and it helped but the stove is still non functional at this point. So…  caotropheus  mentioned a sweet spot. I remembered that my tank was about 11 inches taller than Zero’s. My exhaust flu temp. is way to cool, his exhaust is behind the J tube though a bit off center. This would be much warmer air. I have mine a good 8 to 10 inches lower than the J tube. MUCH COOLER air … Hum…
I wonder?  

Rocketeer builds The Tank  Rocket_drawing_sm

NOW where to relocate the exhaust too......?
Rocketeer builds The Tank  1e26c337-bcb2-4cff-a8e8-183e3322fb44
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 5:07 am

Yes, you gain in heat transfer from the stove to the environment, exhaust is cooler, but draft is lousy. I would place the chimney exit just above the combustion chamber
Back to top Go down
Rocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:44 pm

caotropheus wrote:
Yes, you gain in heat transfer from the stove to the environment, exhaust is cooler, but draft is lousy. I would place the chimney exit just above the combustion chamber

I headed out back and recut my exhaust slightly lower than the burn chamber. The bottom of my 4 inch pipe is about 1/2 lower. I did this before I read caotropheus response. I agree with him and may move it up but... WoW what a difference. The big issue now is I wish I had not opened up the top of the J tube to the tank. The top of the stove is not getting as hot as I want it. :x  I am burning far hotter and have good draft. I will cut a 6 inch steel box tube spacer and play with fine tuning that. The good thing is I am getting a good understanding of how it works. I also feel good that I will be able to actually use the stove. I will get pictures and video soon. I want to dial it in and the explain what I did. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rocketeer builds The Tank    Rocketeer builds The Tank  Empty

Back to top Go down

Rocketeer builds The Tank
Page 1 of 1