The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.

Go down 
+11
Siddsie
Bluff
CVI04
keepittoasty
caotropheus
Rebootag
lionheart
Hitchhiker
gadily
mattinker
T2H
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
2ndburn

2ndburn

heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi, I am in the prosess of edditing picks and videos of this build and want to get it spot-on.
Im sorry it has taken some time but ..just to get your curiosity up and running,
i will post some videos/picks.

Creating a spinning vortex before the riser, creating a free flowing movement. A better mixing of the "secondary" air
Helping to hold a higher temperature, maintaining good incineration of gasses when running a slower burn time.

For  example : To tune a "Cars Engine" one of the first things to tune is the exhaust ..the cast manifold is replaced with a free flowing branch exhaust  manifold and a bigger bore exhaust pipe ..Inlet and exhaust valves are bigger polished and ported.

..So My idea is to build it as tho it where the tuned throttle body of a car engine.
The free flowing vortex cone before the riser helps with the ignition of gasses through into the riser. The secondary combustion is very clean producing a very efficient slow burning fire.

You can see this vortex in the black and white video below.

Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 3:50 pm

So there is no one that has any interest or (any idea how I did this) ? confused
Back to top Go down
lionheart

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 12:34 am

yes we are interested, but cant view the video's. they come up as private videos
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Same here, I cannot see the videos and I would like to see details of the vortex cone...
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:01 am

I had seen the others and thought that you had got it where its focal point was at the best place 2ndburn and that you was building up to the next stage of it

infact it was what i was waiting for, is the next stage of your build if the truth is known

i got curious enough to see this gas mix of yours using the rocket burner/gasifier i think it is best of both worlds
Back to top Go down
keepittoasty

keepittoasty

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 5:56 am

hey guys! I cant view the vids, they say the video is private on each of them. Am I doing something wrong???
thanks!!!!!
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 7:13 am

no its not you some of the vids have been cleared in the account on youtube therefore we cant see them
Back to top Go down
CVI04

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:39 am

I hope he can get it fixed! I am really interested in his build.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 1:48 am

Well uh you have the videos set to private so they cannot be viewed.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 am

I have been wondering abut DK welder lately.
Back to top Go down
Bluff

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Greetings from Down Under'
My understanding is that stainless steel, is no more reflective when red hot than mild steel or cast iron.
The right refractory used to cast the arch,in a 4.5 megawatt boiler on the other hand stands 1000 deg C plus for five years or more. Cast iron rich in nickel used in the grate just beyond the arch where the coal is burning fiercely lasts one or two years only.
High quality refractory is the way to go for a burner that is meant last more the one seasons heating.
Metal is the way to go for a quick and dirty prototype.
Question.
Why can't I see the videos. The notice that comes up says they are private. Just another thing about modern tech that has me puzzled.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 2:24 am

Part of the issue with not being able to view videos may be your internet browser.
I had the same issue and had to go download adobe flash in order to view them.

You have to be a darn computer tech these days to stay on top of how to use the browsers.
Most folks are resigned to taking their systems to a computer service tech.
The day I had to pay fifty bucks for a half an hour for them to install an operating system on my first hand built pc I learned how to do that to.
You can pretty much find an answer to just about any question these days by going to youtube and typing in your issue in a question format.

Back to top Go down
Siddsie

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi, would love to see these vids, but I'm getting the Video is Private message. Any chance you can link me in?

Cheers, Sid
Back to top Go down
CVI04

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 1:03 am

I went out and uploaded adobe flash and still can not see the videos. Im guessing it is a setting on YouTube.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 3:59 am

I'm having the same problem with any videos on this site. It happened last week. None will play. As a work around, I right click on the video, and open in a new tab. They work fine on the other sites.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 5:02 am

I had the same issue and had to install the latest flash player from adobe as much as I hate it.
Working fine for me at the moment.
Using firefox
Back to top Go down
afterburn

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Darn can't see the video, it says please sign in to see this video.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2016 2:59 am

Were you signed in?
It may be your browser, I have found that firefox will not display the video content stating it missing a plug in.

I had to go and download adobe flash.
Firefox no longer uses adobe flash due to security exploits it poses.
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 8:55 am

Bluff wrote:
Greetings from Down Under'
My understanding is that stainless steel, is no more reflective when red hot than mild steel or cast iron.
The right refractory used to cast the arch,in a 4.5 megawatt boiler on the other hand stands 1000 deg C plus for five years or more. Cast iron rich in nickel used in the grate just beyond the arch where the coal is burning fiercely lasts one or two years only.
High quality refractory is the way to go for a burner that is meant last more the one seasons heating.
Metal is the way to go for a quick and dirty prototype.
Question.
Why can't I see the videos. The notice that comes up says they are private. Just another thing about modern tech that has me puzzled.
Hi Bluff, ..Hi everyone, just back from my holidays and seems like I have some catching up to do..
Bluff, my answer to your question is. The reason we light a fire is to extract the heat. And we need to do that in the most efficient way. This build was intended to explain and show you how to burn wood the most effective way. Bluff, the burning of wood or any combustible for that matter at full throttle will make the internals glow red hot and then start to burn the steel out, and yes it's not going last you long if you run your stove at a constant 800 to 1000c.. But this build remains between 350c to 450c this stove will not be running RED hot as you say But runs without smoke and all the wood gasses are re burnt with little wood used.

Look at the thickness of the riser! it's 15mm very thick the thin stainless steel liner about 1.5mm it is there to be heated and remains hot around 450c this is a good zone, this thin liner is needed because the steel riser is too thick and will draw away the heat.. "But this is cooling of the 15mm pipe is needed when the heat falls on the outside of this "The" riser and then out the flue. Q: Now how do you take advantage of the fuel and air mix created before the riser.  ;)
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2017 10:00 am

nice to see you around again 2nd burn

ive got no idea other than really too amp its temperature even higher with the mix to get a much cleaner burn on a system
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 4:17 pm

gadily wrote:
nice to see you around again 2nd burn

ive got no idea other than really too amp its temperature even higher with the mix to get a much cleaner burn on a system

Hi Everyone, ..Hi gadily, I make wood burners for a living, I have been very busy with my business and, sorry I have not had time to come and chat with you all, I will try to catch up where I left off.. I remember I was trying to explain and at the same time trying get you all thinking. .. everyone found that it was important to create a spinning vortex going up the riser, sucking spinning gasses up the riser trying to create and with success a complete burn. Although there may be no smoke coming from your chimney what about the smell, this is just as annoying as the smoke.

The temperatures.

All gasses burn, and burn "off" at different temperatures, most importantly this is down to the air mixture and where it is introduced in the burn.
As primary air is introduced to the burning wood the fire gives off heat and gas, as the heat increases so does the need for space, as the heat increases and expands the oxygen is soon depleted.
This is where we add the secondary air.

You are all thinking ..tell us something we don't know :)

I have spent many years working and testing the effect of secondary air and the effects it has, introducing it at different points and at different temperatures.

I found that if the vortex was created "before" it entered the riser!
and also the secondary air was added pre riser vortex the temps where around 1000c +
But i wanted the temps to be around the 400c to 600c as this was the best zone, otherwise i was going burnout the steel.. so,
for clean burning i found if i added "COLD" air to the secondary burn pre riser, the burn was cooler around the 450c and using less wood with almost no primary air, ..(more oxygen in cold air?) re-burning gasses. adding more primary air would send the riser into meltdown. adding cool air to a spinning vortex "before" the riser is most important. "The hottest part of a blow lamp is the end of the gas tip" scratch
I hope this has been interesting read: Regards Bob.

Back to top Go down
Applegas

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 am

Hi 2nd burn,

Shame about the videos, but I think i get get the jist of it, and I like it.

I was also reckoning on a slow burning fire, but hadn't come to pay that much attention to the idea of a secondary air input at the bottom of the riser; not easily implemented for me. I like your analogy to an internal combstion engine, I ued to have a gismo on my car thich put a vortex in the flow of the fuel line, F1 technology that gave better performance/mpg.

A couple of questions,

I understand you have a section at the bottom of the riser designed for creating a vortex, my observations were that a vortex occurred naturally, any idea how much improvement this forming section gives? Do you think it allows for a reduction in riser length? This has been an interesting part of the stove for me, how to get the wood gases and oxygen kicking off in the best place. Could you describe how you set the secondary air into this combustion zone please. How much air are you forcing in?

I'm totally with the cooler first burn, it reduces the neccessary specs for the firebox and makes fire management a whole lot easier, but is the reduced temperature not carried through to the top of the riser without it being well insulated? My undertanding was that wood gases are variable and the high temperatures and mixing created by in an insulated riser give a complete burn of the heavier gases which is important for effeciency and other factors. Or are your aims different?

I'm working on a mobile water boiler and can't afford the weight/vibration susceptibility of refractory. I'm going for a disposable stainless riser.

John.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.   heater - ....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

....A TWIN CONICLE ROCKET HEATER.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2