The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

wood stoves can they save you money

Go down 
AuthorMessage
gadily

stoves - wood stoves can they save you money  Empty
PostSubject: wood stoves can they save you money    stoves - wood stoves can they save you money  EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 9:45 am

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2478847/Woodburning-stoves-Can-cut-energy-bills.html

ive put it in here more as a look at me file

This month three of Britain's Big Six energy providers have announced inflation-busting hikes that will hit millions of customers from 15 November. So, with another cold spell on the cards, is it worth households investigating the potential for cheaper ways to heat their homes? Stoves provider Chesney’s thinks so. It has reported record sales figures, up 35 per cent from 2012, as Britons choose to switch to woodburning stoves. According to Hetas, the industry regulatory body, at least 175,000 households are installing a woodburner each year, which is five times more than in 2007. But booming woodburner sales may be as much about home fashions as energy effiency. Most homes that have them fitted do so without the means to spread the warmth through the property, meaning that they only heat the room they are in. Nonetheless, Paul Chesney, founder of Chesney’s, reckons a stove could save you money on your bills. He says: 'Burning wood costs an average of 4p per kilowatt hour, which is considerably cheaper than gas, as the average new gas tariff will rise to 6p per kilowatt hour from 15 November 2013. 'With gas prices rising by up to 11.1 per cent, the average household could save more than £300 a year by installing a woodburning stove.' OUR HEATING BILLS HAVE GONE DOWN BY 25% Julius and Anna Reeves, who live in Muswell Hill, London, with their children Seth,17, and Isabella, 4, bought a woodburning stove and haven't looked back. They explain why: 'We bought a black Salisbury 4kw which costs £804.00, but with flu liner and installation the total came to about £2,500. 'The heat output is definitely so high that we have had to turn the heating down in the downstairs at least, since we have had it as it seems to radiate warmth throughout. Without doing tiny minute calculations I would definitely say our heating bills have gone down about 25 per cent. 'It looks so beautiful, we know other people who have woodburners and they look great. Everyone loves them as are very economical to run, very eco-friendly, efficient and look great with little maintenance. You do not have to clean up much and they keep a great heat for a long time with little attention required to keep that flame going. When winter comes, I really look forward to coming home and sitting by our stove at night with the lights down low! 'Maintenance costs hardly anything. We get the chimney swept every year or so before the season for about £50, and a service every other year which is really inexpensive. From time to time the fire bricks and ropeseal needs replacing but these are very small and infrequent costs. The initial outlay was the most we’ve paid for it, and as it lasts for years and years, that’s really worth it. 'Fuel costs £7.30 for a large bag of kiln dried logs which lasts us nearly a week. We light the stove for about three hours a night at the moment on a slow burn which uses about three logs per night. When it gets colder we will light it in the days on a steady low heat and the logs will still be cheaper than keeping the heating on all day.' wrote:
Back to top Go down

wood stoves can they save you money
Page 1 of 1