The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rocket burner autopsy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gadily

rocket - rocket burner autopsy  Empty
PostSubject: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptySun May 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 10:38 am

Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 10:35 am

so... this would support a theory that insulation is bad.

Without insulation , the temps would never get as hot, and would not burn up metal.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 10:57 am

lol no i suspect the heat is too much for the stainless steel depending on which ss was used and we are infact burning much higher inside of the systems causing the degregation of the steel riser

garys riser is much thicker than we would normally use and i dont know the ss he used in his build either could be a higher grade

i know the essa models are using 316 ss in there builds
Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 11:08 pm

I don't run insulation. I run fire brick, or kiln brick. a cardinal sin on other sites.

My belief, is that the 600 degree, gives you secondary burn.
The 1200 gives you incineration.

so, what is to gain, other than safety factor, of more heat with the higher temps achieved in the horz and riser.

That would be a great test, does scientific data exist?

Would 5lbs of fuel, burned at higher temp, accually put out more?

Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 12:56 am

most boilers have refactory lined inside the fire tube i think you should try that oil has higher btu value than wood there give you more heat
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 1:12 am

125k per gallon vs 16k per pound for wood pellets btus what i see stop using oil it is getting to hot burning up your metal
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 12:12 am

thankyou for posting this up ppotty at least it gives an idea of how long with usage

2 years use
Back to top Go down
JeffJetisoned

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 7:08 am

I have a couple of stove's parts cut out and fabbed up and ready for welding, but when Try2Hard told me that the metal located around riser was degrading in a model in which I was basing my stoves on, I quit working on them. Thought about the stainless steel and often wondered about the 304 stainless and have mentioned this in several of my post. Well obviously it is not good enough if it melted 316. ppotty probably has 304 as that is the most common and popular...most fab shops keep the more expensive stainless steel in a special area and separate from the cheaper stainless. Last time I looked a sheet of 309 3/16 or 1/4 was almost a grand. I looked at lining the mild with 316 but also know there is reaction of mild steel touching stainless over a period of time, which is the reason I welded stainless steel shims on my metal racks holding the sheets of stainless at work. Also, the gentleman(forgot his name..sorry) that said that fire brick or refractory cement would erode from fire is correct, but think it a long time before it would happen from fire. More apt to happen with heating and cooling...even so, I wouldn't mind the weight at home but don't want it in my motorhome or smoker as I have to move those. These rocket stoves have become really efficient and extremely hotter by all the innovations that have taken place over the years, but for the average back yard hack or welder, they may have to think twice about installing them in their house...that's why I like the outdoor models...keeps the mess outside... and the danger. Also if the stove is not U.L. listed, the insurance company will not likely insure your home. Even in my last house they questioned me with the stove that was listed and they wanted to know who installed it and when I told them I did, they wanted to know my qualifications for doing so. I told them it was the twenty first year I burned wood in it and the third house it had been installed in and all that stuff, but often wondered if it wouldn't come back and haunt me if for some freak accident the house burned down.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 10:11 pm

its a shame for the design of the build

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rocket burner autopsy    rocket - rocket burner autopsy  Empty

Back to top Go down

rocket burner autopsy
Page 1 of 1