The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TLUD wood heater

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tim Keith

TLUD wood heater Empty
PostSubject: TLUD wood heater   TLUD wood heater EmptySun May 25, 2014 1:42 pm

I've began reading about TLUD, supposed to be very clean burning. Many of the TLUD stoves are operated without an external chimney, not that I'd attempt to do that. Many the TLUD wood heaters are actually cooking stoves. I'm looking for a heating design that is suited for biomass such as the mountain of wood chips that we have locally. The TLUD seems to fit the parameters for that. I've been reading some of the work of Paul Anderson and have to pause to soak it in. I'm very new at this, but the TLUD look doable for me. The TLUD produces charcoal that has to be manually removed and I couldn't automate the feeding of the wood chips but it looks like a fun test heater for wood chips. In some countries these cost less than $30 US dollars, so I think its a reasonable project for me.

In another post I mentioned the potential of spent brewery grain as a fuel. The TLUD converts carbohydrates to clean burning gas, with much of the carbon converted to charcoal, which is often used to enrich the soil (or burn it in a rocket heater). All sorts of biomass can be efficiently used in the TLUD designs, so it is claimed, with less soot and ash than conventional wood stoves.

There are so many different ways to efficiently burn, and yet the potential is in the future. There are so many alternatives but many of the builds aren't necessarily costly. It is estimated that 80 percent of the potential of the TLUD biomass stoves is yet to be discovered as they were first used about the time that the rocket heater was developed.

Any comments on the pros and cons of the TLUD?
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

TLUD wood heater Empty
PostSubject: Re: TLUD wood heater   TLUD wood heater EmptySun May 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Anderson's company Chip Energy manufacturers an automated gasification heater called the AVUD (Another Variation UpDraft) gasifier  which I think somewhat resembles the batch loaded TLUD.   The AVUD design might be more like a heating appliance, but I am not aware of how to construct a small version.  It might be good to build the small TLUD, then work toward small scale automation.  I don't see any videos on the AVUD technology.  It looks like the AVUD technology is oriented toward relatively large commercial systems.  The Batch loaded TLUD stove can be really cheap to build for evaluation. Commercial systems often don't publish great details on how the technology works but I suppose this diagram might help, but the note says "For commercial reasons, some critical features essential for successful AVUD micro-gasification are not fully explained here.".

http://www.chipenergy.com/thirdworld/avud.htm

So perhaps I should look elsewhere as likely the other home built gasification wood chip heaters are really doing the same thing?

Back to top Go down
gadily

TLUD wood heater Empty
PostSubject: Re: TLUD wood heater   TLUD wood heater EmptySun May 25, 2014 11:48 pm

with that id consider the downdraft version implementing the design basis of the one illustrated

with downdraft there seems to be a much better heat reference to the updraft versions for what ive been seeing
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

TLUD wood heater Empty
PostSubject: Re: TLUD wood heater   TLUD wood heater EmptyMon May 26, 2014 8:29 am

I read that these gasification stoves produce almost no measureable soot. A high priority is the wood heater be clean burning. The 2nd requirement is that it burn shredded biomass rather than sticks or cordwood. These gasifyiers seem to be on target. The pyrolysis design defines intuition. I'd never figure this out by myself. I have to trust what others are saying. That some designers do not fully disclose their design properties is bad, but that kind of hiding can't endure for long. Not that I'm trying to steal secrets, but this is a natural process that isn't invented so much as it is discovered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TLUD wood heater Empty
PostSubject: Re: TLUD wood heater   TLUD wood heater Empty

Back to top Go down

TLUD wood heater
Page 1 of 1