The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need help with my Rocket mass stove

Go down 
+2
ROACH
Fish-N-Fool
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fish-N-Fool

stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove Empty
PostSubject: Need help with my Rocket mass stove   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 11:41 am

Hi all newbee here,
Looking for info and help on a rocket mass heater for my house I'm going to build next summer. I want to have a stove to heat a 1500 sq. ft. home in N. Idaho where it can get very cold at times. I want to to be somewhat self feeding and self temperature regulating. I have a basic plan of what I want and I want to make the main fire components out of heavy wall steel tubing and pipe, and the thermal mass out of concrete and some kind of filler. I have drawn up some plans that I'd like some opinions on. What is a good idea here and whats bad, I want to make the air intake open and close with a thermostat to regulate the house temperature in the winter. I'm also thinking of adding a pipe in a pipe heat exchanger to preheat the water going into my tank-less hot water system. But not sure how to add that to my current plan.
I want to cover all the concrete in river rock to make it pleasing to the eye as well and make a reclining bench out of the thermal mass over the J duct work that will be covered with cushions like a couch. What needs to be done to the floor to hold up this kind of weight. I'm putting this into an addition to my current home that I have not started it yet, so I can build it as it needs.  The purple is a pipe cut with a hole on one side and a plate welded in to make a vortex up the heat riser tube in light purple, I'm working with the 1, 2, 4 measurements principle The wood feed tube from the air inlet down to the burn chamber will be half as long as the burn chamber (D) is, the heat riser tube will be twice as long as the burn chamber.  So any thoughts;

stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove Myrocketmassheaterdesign4vortex_zps24c513b4
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re:rocket mass heater   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 1:52 pm

i would put post & beam under the mass heater as far as the mass heater i was thinking about that too later from what i have seen on utube you would need a fire once or twice a day that would be nice
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Rocket mass stove   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 10:00 pm

these are the ones im aware of

this is what happened with the updates

15,000 btu heater

posted as reference if you decide to build a plate tank

i have to ask this now and your going to have to decide which way to turn 1500 sq ft is alot to warm via a rocket burner it can be done but might be done with the old thermal design however it would mean a room would be way higher on temperature

your going to be playing with mass of a system or can be down graded to a smaller boiler system this also depends on parts and costs and wood your wanting to burn pallets or trees

gary b and ppottys, green energy, systems is viable for heating with water system

with a non tankless system comes the extra price needed to incorporate it into the system its either a tank with an expansion tank on top or you can use a tank system fed into a tankless system but has the problems if the electric fails
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Rocket mass stove   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 12:26 am

It seems that you have a very nice project ahead. I would like to comment on some points of your project. Lets start by the construction material. If you use all the know-how accumulated so far, you can obtain very high temperatures (above 1000C). At these temperatures for long periods of time all the materials are going to deteriorate, either steel, stainless steel or fire brick. I use plain mild steel for my stoves, so, if fire destroys some component, I just replace the component or stove. But you have a mass heater, that is a more permanent construction that requires bigger investment and I think you can build the stove in a modular way and easy access to replace parts. The J exhaust tube has to leave the heat exchanger I slightly above the height of the combustion chamber D, otherwise you will have problems to light the stove and smoke back puffing. I am not sure you can obtain secondary combustion at G but I think you can get it inside the riser tube if you inject pre heated air at the basis of the riser. Since you plan to use a vortex will help extract more heat from the secondary combustion. If you can use as well pre heated primary air, you are going to get higher temperatures and more efficient combustion. Take a look at ppotty's and Barnabe videos in youtube. About the proportions of the feeder tube, I never tried these proportions on my stoves but from empirical evidence, it seems that a higher riser gives you a more efficient stove, up until a certain point, of course.

Do not forget to make pictures and/or videos of the construction and the stove working.
Back to top Go down
Hitchhiker

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Rocket mass stove   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:01 pm

That seems like an awfully tall feed tube.
Back to top Go down
Fish-N-Fool

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Rocket mass stove   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 7:51 am

gadily wrote:
these are the ones im aware of

Most all of this doesn't apply as I do not want to burn pellets, I want to burn wood.

Hitchhiker wrote:
That seems like an awfully tall feed tube.

I'm going to try to develop a feed tube that will auto feed cut wood for a longer lasting fire. I know this is kind of out of the box but that's just who I am. I've always been an out of the box thinker.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Rocket mass stove   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 11:15 am

this is the update in burning wood also reminds you to implement an ash box underneath your system

twistedkarma on site here has done this build with a slopped feeding tube roughly like your design

greenenergyexperimenter on site here has done this one below

Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Rocket mass stove   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Your' still in the box.

To be out of the box, you need to ditch the mass.

Think about this, I'm telling you that adding 2 k in mass to my VW , will make it go farther.

You're telling me , that heating 2k more than your existing 15k house, is going to be more effiecient?.

Transfer it to water, hide radiant heat, (rads in crawlspace, ect) to keep heated items lower.
IE, heat rises. floorboard, or low lying items make it feel warmer, but in reality, you have to heat every thing in your house. It will transfer.

unless you are in a tee pee, or greenhouse, and then I will tell you, yes a RMH is the only way.

So lets bring you out of the box a little farther.

45 degrees don't work, verticle, and the logs still try and pass, and jamb.
60 degrees on the feed tube, works best.

I'm working on something way out of the box. I'll share.

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Rocket mass stove   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 10:15 am

this type can be used with a twin fire system or better known as a downdraft system

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my Rocket mass stove   stove - Need help with my Rocket mass stove Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with my Rocket mass stove
Page 1 of 1