The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Halogen Light Glass Lens

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kelhawk1

Halogen Light Glass Lens Empty
PostSubject: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Had my burned out halogen light on the curb before I realized it may have a suitable piece of glass for a stove door. What's more, it fits my opening perfectly! Gonna try propping it in place and find out tonight.
Here's a pic, but can someone tell me why my pictures are recently posting upside down? I even tried rotating them 180 before posting, but they still come out 180 off!

Halogen Light Glass Lens 2015-012

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 5:39 pm

if your using your phone camera turn it other way as i found the same thing out with photos and video

the software between the phone and the computer will turn it the right way as its been taken so if upside down thats whats on your pc

other than that i would need name of model that your using

one other thing i have thought the same with the halogen glass myself but i have the small round ones from the kitchen and bathroom lights
Back to top Go down
kelhawk1

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 1:19 am

I just realized I was using my Samsung Centura instead of my LG for the photos in question. I will try turning the Centura over and also see how some old LG photos post. Funny how it's usually a simple basic mistake, like when I shot my 30 minute YouTube video with the phone vertical and wondered why I had big black bars on the sides.
Thanks for the help and turning my photo over!
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 12:03 am

Great idea for using the halogen glass!
Let us know how it works out.
Back to top Go down
kelhawk1

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 2:16 am

Been raining so much dry wood is hard to find, but just pellets didn't hurt it. I wanna load it up to the max burning both together for a real test. Replacements are less than $10 so I sure hope it holds up. As you know, Ceramax that big could be close to $100.

Halogen Light Glass Lens 2015-020

Halogen Light Glass Lens 2015-019
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 6:31 am

i like your door nice effect against the back with the stainless steel

is there any chance you could post the build of the door ?
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 8:01 am

I agree Gadily it is a nice contrast.
Back to top Go down
kelhawk1

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 am

I took some pics, but I was gonna try my airwash system before I show the door build. What the hell, it's too hot and humid to burn, so tell me if you think it will work. I am gathering sticks so I can give it a nice hot run tonight with pellets and sticks simultaneously.
What do you think about the fireplace mortar I used to bed the glass? I figured Hi-temp RTV silicone would work, but apparently I hauled it to my mountain retreat, so I used what I had. I figure it will provide a perfect bed for the glass and the fact it gets hard won't matter.

Halogen Light Glass Lens 2015-021
Halogen Light Glass Lens 2015-022
Not pictured are 4 pieces of 1/8th by 3/8 wide strap that weld inside to support the glass and leave the slots exposed and behind the glass.
Halogen Light Glass Lens 2015-023

Here's how I adapted the glass frame to my original door frame. (Hard to weld)

Halogen Light Glass Lens 2015-024

The frames are joined by two short, wide triangles. Note how close the strap welding is to the slot, and give it smore room.
Halogen Light Glass Lens 2015-025

I must say, making the frame for the glass was way easier than adapting it to my existing door. Sawing the slits was way faster than drilling holes, but will they be as effective as holes? Next I made and drilled the stainless strips with a 6-32 tap drill,(#36) transferred the 6 holes into the frame with the same drill, then tapped them for the 6-32 button heads. Only then did I open the holes in the stainless to 9/64"(.140) for screw clearance. The horizontal pieces are only there to hide the gap between glass and frame, and are lightly clamped by the vertical pieces, which let the air in through their open bottom ends.
I will let you know how this actually works soon I hope.
Back to top Go down
kelhawk1

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 12:43 am

I videoed the stove burning for a little over an hour with pellets and sticks, and my hotplate temperature reference got almost as hot as the last time I did this. I'm sure the wood was a little damp, since it had rained a couple days ago, but I think the Halogen lens will hold up pretty good. They are cheap enough to warrant a destruction test, but not until I get an IR thermometer. Got my SS check today, so I'm not putting that off any longer. My other dual halogen on a stick doesn't work either, so I already have more test subjects. I wish I could have easily found the temperature these are rated at...maybe someone with better search skills...now who could that be...scratch
Here's the Dropbox link to my edited 25 minute video if you want to take a look. I clicked it to test but it's still loading 20 minutes later. Gonna post and test it again with crossed fingers. Lemme know if there's a problem, cuz I don't know if it just needs more time or what?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0nfjzym0zeope2/Halogen%20light%20glass%20test.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by kelhawk1 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 2:28 am

That is pretty fancy kelhawk, nice fab work.
You say its too humid, where are you located?
Back to top Go down
kelhawk1

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 4:01 am

Central Kansas at present. "Tryin too hard" to move to my 12 acres in the New Mexico high desert, since Kansas has turned miserably humid over the last 30 years.
Thanks, I grew up welding, then got into the Tool & Die industry, so I can build about anything. Got a well equipped shop including a 12x36 Lathe and small milling machine. I do knives and gun work for fun but little profit.
Looks like my Dropbox link is ready, did you watch? I have uploaded two YouTube videos but haven't got them linked to the site till right now! Here's the video of this stove before the glass, and I am going to post the other on the appropriate topic page.That was too easy!
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 4:40 am

Man this is such a nice little stove, I love your artistic license you took with it!:>)
Very different yet I can see influences from several stove designers in this and you put your own twist on it, very very nice indeed.

One thing I hated about my first design was not thinking about having to bend down to load the stove each time.
It got old really fast, now I realize I can always make a riser platform for my low profile stoves.
Thanks for sharing your work with us, great stuff.

Creative way of remedying the issue with the fire going out, what you did was create a venturi.

By creating a constriction you induced a higher more focused velocity of secondary air, as well I think that when the pellets dropped down on to the sticks they were robbing the oxygen levels the sticks needed to keep burning.

By the way, as well here in Wa, State we are becoming terribly humid as well.
When I was a boy my father who was a meteorologists for the US air force turned to me one day and said to me they say one day it will be tropical here in Wa, state.

I think he knew more than he was able to tell me at the time.
Back to top Go down
kelhawk1

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Artistic license? LOL, I had another piece of 4 x 6 tube 36 Inches long, a working pellet feed concept already delivered, but no room for the sticks that litter my mountain property. I can't afford to buy pellets! I had to do something, so rather than turn the 4x6 into a simple 6x8 parallel burn chamber, I used one of the sectioned walls of the joined tube, cut diagonally to create the big-mouth-bigger-assed burn chamber. I don't know why I didn't use both the sectioned walls and make it parallel, except the torch had warped them so bad I played hell straightening just the one. Need a press...
Anyway I wanted the ceiling where the pellets hug to be the same 25 degree angle as my R2D2 stove, since it burns pellets really well now; then it came to me that the floor could be 45 degrees to facilitate sticks. The 1/2" plate that is the back wall, just showed up on my porch one day, before realizing I needed it, and I used it as is. The reason it is at a 45 degree angle rather than square, is that's just how the 4x6 tubing crumbled. There was virtually no waste from the 36 inch piece, and I only had to make one angled cut.
When I had the rough shape mocked up in front of me, it was like the Divine Collective inviting me to "make this work." I have been playing with a number of aspects and having some puzzling failures, and I sometimes wonder if they are related to that 45 degree back wall. Now I suspect I'm getting too much secondary air when burning only pellets, and could use some enlightenment, assuming you have a rough idea how my pellet chute occupies my oversize chamber.
With burning pellets held poised near the ceiling, at the edge of the riser opening, air can pass through the funnel created by the false floor/second burn screen, and rushes underneath and through the main coals as Primary Air. Is that correct, primary air passes through the coals and fire?
If I made the false floor run all the way to the back wall, the airflow should closely mimic that of R2D2, but then I couldn't burn sticks with it in place, since the not-so-false floor would block the exhaust. That's how We evolved the abbreviated false floor with second burn screen, to accommodate sticks and pellets simultaneously. With only pellets burning, the big mouth has air rising up that angled back wall, passing thru the second burn screen somewhat, but entering the riser alongside the fire as secondary air. Is that correct? What ever kind of air it is, it is only one of the possible reasons this stove may not be performing as well with only pellets as my first. Too much air not passing through the coals ashes and fire. I also have a nifty looking venturi riser jacket supposedly letting secondary air in the riser. I am going to remove it from the equation tomorrow and isolate that problem. The only other difference between the two is R2D2's burn chamber is insulated.
This stove burns sticks really well as long as I don't smother them with half burned pellets, and burning pellets alone isn't such a priority with the large burn chamber for sticks.
I was raving to my friends about Kansas turning tropical back in the 80's, so you mentioning your dad resonated with me well. I finally did some research just a few years ago, and indeed, in this area the average humidity has increased, plus the rain patterns seem more monsoon like.
Back to top Go down
kelhawk1

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 10:45 am

The glass from the halogen light is doing just fine, and I've had the stove so hot you can't stand closer than 18 inches or so. The airwash slots seem to work real well so far. At times smoke will drift towards the glass only to be beat back by the wind, so it's staying fairly clean.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 7:44 am

have you tried slowing down the system right down so that it gasifys alot more as thats where most problems start as the heat really builds up inside the firebox as the wood gassifies

and thanks for the input as well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halogen Light Glass Lens   Halogen Light Glass Lens Empty

Back to top Go down

Halogen Light Glass Lens
Page 1 of 1