The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

An unusual Rocket Stove

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kelhawk1

rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove Empty
PostSubject: An unusual Rocket Stove   rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 7:58 am

Here are pictures and Dropbox link to a 23 minute slide show and video, showing how my new "Bigmouth" stove evolved. I intended the stove to burn pellets and/or sticks, like I attempted with my first design, but wanted it larger so it would be a somewhat practical heat source, burning high desert cedar and pine. Initially I was going to simply weld two 4 x 6" tubes together and make a parallel 6 x 8" tube, but was inspired into the tapered firebox idea. Doing that substantially increased wood capacity, but without the need for more material, since I utilized one torched out tubing wall to close the sides. Many of the pieces were used exactly as dug out of my material collection, such as the 1/2" plates used for the back wall and hot plate top. I don't know what effect the unusual 45 degree back wall has on the burn dynamics, but the stove can be fed sticks from the front, top, or both, and should even feed mule deer droppings through the pellet hopper, while burning branches. It is a versatile heater/cooker, that I find an excuse to light every day. Without the grease drum and wearing a lighter weight heat exchanger designed more for cooking, it may be even more at home on a patio.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiuerq62b35m6tp/Bigmouth%20Build%20Video%20with%20Slideshow.mp4?dl=0

rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove 210

rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove 2015-032

rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove 2015-033

rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove 2015-034

rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove Snapsh11

rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove Snapsh12

rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove Snapsh13
Back to top Go down
CVI04

PostSubject: Re: An unusual Rocket Stove   rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks for sharing! Awesome work! Keep it up we all gleem info.
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: An unusual Rocket Stove   rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 1:31 pm

Very nice stove indeed and some innovative ideas. Do you manage to keep the glass door clean of soot?
Back to top Go down
kelhawk1

PostSubject: Re: An unusual Rocket Stove   rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 4:29 pm

caotropheus wrote:
Very nice stove indeed and some innovative ideas. Do you manage to keep the glass door clean of soot?

Happily yes! If I leave it alone during burnout and not screw with the hopper lid or air dampers, the smoke doesn't even threaten the glass. My continual blunderings result in smoke drifting towards it quite often, but it gets beat back at the goal line. I seriously think it's cleaner on the inside than out, and I cook on it at least once every day. I left the first airwash channels that I had before adding the glass frame with it's own airwash. It still doesn't aspirate well enough through just the outside air system and the two airwash ducts, because prolonged burning with the door closed causes it to slow and even clog. I do not want to regulate my burn rate by closing off the air. More holes are needed, but I hate just torching holes from the inside and blowing slag into the duct channels. I just couldn't wait to get it in a can...otherwise I would cut three tack welds, drop the air module, and torch away. Hard to slide the air module off later with torch slag in the way.
Sad part for me is finishing it up and not being able to work on it anymore. What's been the most fun for me is how most of those "innovative" ideas were given to me years before through years of employment in jobs with juicy scrap bins. Scrap I was compelled to collect with no project in mind. For example, the pictures of me setting up the frame for the glass door, shows them clamped to a 1 1/4 x 7 x 20 inch surface ground shear blade we made, that somebody scrapped. I have one end bolted to swing out from the table it's mounted to, or swing onto the table. So handy! One side a weld table, the other a surface plate. Had it for years before I discovered it's true purpose.
Anyway...I get side tracked...My method involves looking at what I have and pondering how it shapes the result I want. Many pieces on both stoves required little or no cutting. What a joy! Funny, it sure seems like I still did a lot of cutting and grinding and cursing! LOL I guess I'm saying the innovation or inspiration doesn't come from me, it comes through us. Thank you everybody!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An unusual Rocket Stove   rocket - An unusual Rocket Stove Empty

Back to top Go down

An unusual Rocket Stove
Page 1 of 1