The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Compact Gasifier...

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tritowns

New Compact Gasifier...  Empty
PostSubject: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 2:11 am

I started working on a new gasifier design...

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 9:15 am

Update...

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 4:19 am

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 6:14 am

cheers and thankyou tritowns

ive an interest in these so most are welcome to be posted and are looked upin for later reference in my eyes
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 8:17 am

So the new unit as built only has 30% more hopper capacity. It does now have air pre heat, has a grate but is still concidered heartless as it doesn't have an ash binn. Everything goes out the gas outlet.... it ran better than expected but it did seem so have some plugging after about an hour and a half of flaring. Its been left capped off air tight till tomorrow so it can cool down and I can go all csi on it.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:42 pm

This morning I took the gasser apart, as much as I could as it is welded into the bottom of the drum that houses it.

Everything looks real good inside... I was kinda starting to think I had had a grate meltdown. My gas evacuation tube was somewhat plugged... I figure the grate openings are just a bit too big and let some of the larger char I had loaded it with slip past... I can fix that in a hurry and i'll be back to testing...

More than a little pleased with the new unit so far.... it was all my fault... I thought better and didn't change it before testing... shows to go ya... if you hear that still small voice... maybe you should listen to it...
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 3:46 am

burned it for about another hour today... hasn't exhibited any plugging... shut it down as air tight as I could make it... gonna try one more thing tomorrow and if it's looks right i'll see about putting together a filter train for it. It flared huge, just there was a lot of moisture in it as you could squish the water out of the chips we're using. So I know we're making some tar... I don't have any provisions for catching hopper condensate in this unit... I will in the next one for sure. And yes it looks like there will be an next one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 11:31 pm

I have about 5 hrs of flaring on this now... still not totally happy but I know I'm getting close. I started running the wood we get from the mill with all the fines still in it... and, it's more wet than it should be... I think I'll try one more grate configuration and if it goes well I'll hook it up to a cooler/filter train and see how the small genset like it.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 12:51 am

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 1:21 am

I put an extension pipe between the gasser body and ejector... hey look at that, the gasifier body doesn't get as hot from the flame pouring out of the swirl burner.

Another hour burning... wind is crazy strong so i had to put a cage around it to keep it from getting blown out.

I'll clean it out tomorrow and inspect the grate... if it looks reasonable I guess it's time to think about a filter train and cooler so i can try the genset on it.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:58 am

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 3:51 am

New Compact Gasifier...  PIC_6399_zpsyh3j3q0z

New Compact Gasifier...  PIC_6402_zps1orhr1lp

I sure like using bits and pieces that are just laying around the shop... no additional welding required... as soon as some silicone has hardened and I can get Rich to find me a chunk of 1 1/2 hose I can give it a try.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 11:27 am

I tried lighting it up today but experienced some plugging... not sure why or where... capped it all off and I'll  pull it all apart tomorrow am. If I can resolve what the issue is I'll try it again tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 12:38 am

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 1:15 am

ran for about an hour but I suspect i'm getting plugging again due to my preheat design... If my engine will run on gasoline after it's sat and cooled all day.... meaning the valves arn't all tared up.. I'll rebuild the reactor better... here's hoping
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 10:52 am

New Compact Gasifier...  New%20gasser_zps6y3tokgl
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 1:55 am

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 6:37 am

Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 1:37 am

New Compact Gasifier...  PIC_6441_zpslhvjdprg

cleaned out the cyclone today.,... two different grates and about 2 1/2 hours flaring on it... I suspect the first grate slipped more char than the second.

fyi, that's whats left over from about 45lbs of soft wood chips
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 5:23 am

ran the gasifier on the genset for about an hour today with a 1.5Kw load on it. It was kinda hard getting it running until I realized the choke on the gas carb was on... ran much better with it off. Chips are still far too wet to be using... and because unlike my other gasifier design the wood gas isn't cooled by the gasifier body and air preheat so the cooler is far hotter than it should be to work well.

I'll build a couple of things tomorrow that may help if the engine isn't stuck in the morning once it's cooler off all night.

we'll see tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 3:01 am

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 10:01 am

looking good from here tritowns

I do like the small and compact of the system though

I have a question here as well any chance of doing a gassifier design where everyone could follow it and build it via your design but not of the one you produce to sell
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 10:44 pm

Yes, the thought has crossed my mind.... and when I build a simple unit for me... I'll consider posting it here...
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 12:03 am

Or better yet Gadily... tell me what you want to run, and what you'd use for feed stock and I'll help you design a system... I'll do this one time and one time only for some one on this forum, but they have to commit to it and actually build a gasifier and post pics while doing it here... we can start another specific thread and everything... So people understand, I jokingly tell people regularly that I'll design a system for them but it's 100000.00 for me to do that... you can buy a base system from me for 8000.00... for the 100000.00 I'd include all the drawings and probably even a working gasifier... lol... in reality, if you wanted me to design a system for you that I would never take any credit for and never use any of it's ideas in one of my systems the price would start at 50000.00 and go up from there depending on what a person wanted it to do. So someone interested in collaborating on a build and only having to supply materials and do the welding is a pretty good deal.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 9:41 am

well id have to really say thankyou

I will be honest here im just finishing off a drafty shed making a draftless shed as im having problems with the gas being blown away while im welding

will I commit to building one yes but im also one of these that likes to throw ideas in i will be honest that way or suggest a way even if i dont understand the technology

the other thread will be upon the forums and only for members of the site I think this is the best way unsure what the other mods will think of this though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Compact Gasifier...    New Compact Gasifier...  Empty

Back to top Go down

New Compact Gasifier...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next