The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Grateless wood gasifier

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
T2H
Admin
T2H

Grateless wood gasifier Empty
PostSubject: Grateless wood gasifier   Grateless wood gasifier EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 4:59 pm

I thought this was an interesting design this guy came up with.

Seems to work well.

Here is a link for detailed plans.

http://elevatorman.shawwebspace.ca/
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: Grateless wood gasifier   Grateless wood gasifier EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 11:24 pm

I believe Luc dated a cousin of mine way back when... grew up in the same town even I think. Only issue that a unit like this may have is keeping the cone intact... it gets stupid hot and most metals will tend to fail at those temperatures.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Grateless wood gasifier   Grateless wood gasifier EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 9:19 am

Belief and experience are two different animals correct?
Experience combined with an avid inventor creates an adaptive environment in where experimentations give way to failures are not actually failures at all.
You know what point to focus on from the failures.

Using a metal that will not melt is not a too difficult hurdler to overcome, and yet there are other materials that can be used with this very idea that you can coat the metals with that will resist melting.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: Grateless wood gasifier   Grateless wood gasifier EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm not disagreeing... we move a head through experiments... I wouldn't be where I am without trying things that haven't really been done before. But everyone needs a starting place, sometimes the learning process comes a lot faster by trying something that has been done before just so you can learn how and why something works the way it does. Most people here on this forum are leaps and bounds a head of a regular joe because they have built something that burns wood... gasification is a simple process... pas wood smoke through a red hot layer of char coal in a limited oxygen enviroment... simple... honest... lol... it's everything else dealing with raw wood that makes it kinda complicated. I'm here and more than happy to act as a sounding board for anyone that has questions... I have a pretty good understanding of what has been tried and what does and doesn't work... just an fyi.. that g3 does technically have a grate, just not a grate like everyone else uses... the gap at the bottom of the cone is acting as the grate.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: Grateless wood gasifier   Grateless wood gasifier EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 1:11 pm

While I'm here... lol... it appears he is suspending the cone through the hopper tube?... I try to keep things out of the hopper (unless they are hot and are being intentionally used to help dry or pyrolize the feed stock in the hopper) as they tend to cause feedstock hang ups. Just thing to think about and consider. Building a system is all about trade offs... my current experimental system has no physical hearth or as bin for that matter... which causes other problems down the line... but how would I know what those problems might be without some practical experience, or saying what the hell and just building it...
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Grateless wood gasifier   Grateless wood gasifier EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 2:41 am

I thought this was interesting, they use a ceramic hopper.
My thoughts are there as well is the potential for using a ceramic or.....metal insulated with ceramic for the combustion chamber where the temps rise hot enough to melt steel as well turn stainless back into mild steel.

I am wondering has anyone tries using 309 stainless for the high temp area and if so what were their results?

http://www.fundamentalform.com/assets/images/SECTIONED_VIEW2.JPG
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: Grateless wood gasifier   Grateless wood gasifier EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 3:17 am

or build so that the natural occurring char/ash forms it's own insulating zones... that is what I practice doing... Very Happy Angle of repose... the angle materials slip/slid on themselves.... things to think about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grateless wood gasifier   Grateless wood gasifier Empty

Back to top Go down

Grateless wood gasifier
Page 1 of 1