The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gadily

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand Empty
PostSubject: rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand   rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 6:04 am

well ive been trying to roll 3mm flat steel into a half circle

and I know ive seen it on this forum someone using a wagon rachet and gas bottles to do it

well ive tried it and what a swine it is to do ended up putting it in the vice to get some shape then was able to roll it much better around them just dropping gas bottles sizes to do it

by hand is not easy to do but it will do it

im now making it much smaller by using the telegraph pole to make it even smaller in size but to shape it right at the start was hard work and im only rolling 3mm x 660mm

its taken me a good few hrs to get a 7" deep x 10 1/2" wide and ive still got to close it up more
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand   rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 am

heres some pics of rolling it in the end I used a vise to bend the edges so they didnt cut my straps by standing and pushing on it a gas bottle to roll it smaller.

then a 8" lamp post to get even smaller or as much as a circle as possible and got it too about 10 1/2" from a flat sheet of steel 26" high x 18"

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand 20151213

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand 20151214

in end i ended up using a large vise to get it smaller on the width from 10 1/2" to 7 1/2"

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand 20151215
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand   rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 5:05 am

I tell you what Gadily, you sure are quite adept at coming up with creative ways of forming the metals desired shape.

That must have been pretty dog gone hard to do.
Looks good.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand   rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 7:54 am

I think it was tritowns that uses the method of using a wagon ratchet to make the 3mm sides to his units on his build I know ive seen it on here somewhere

but if i was doing it again id use 2 of the wagon ratchets it makes it much easier to do
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand   rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 3:51 am

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand Bender_zps9l68tcgv

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand Bender2_zpswyidr6gs
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand   rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 3:53 am

simple bender made from scrap heavy L angle and some hinges... 36 10 degree bends gets you a circle. I usually use 14 to 16 gauge for cones ect... for my builds... I know this could handle thicker.
Back to top Go down
tritowns

PostSubject: Re: rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand   rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 3:58 am

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand PIC_5759_zps3ec3e490

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand Cone_zpshksjut5r
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand   rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand Empty

Back to top Go down

rolling 3mm steel sheet by hand
Page 1 of 1