The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking to learn...with a twist

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NainCain

Looking to learn...with a twist Empty
PostSubject: Looking to learn...with a twist   Looking to learn...with a twist EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 5:52 am

I was directed here from you tube videos I have been watching about rocket type of stoves.

The first reason of doing my research is building something that could be used to cook with in an emergency (shtf). The idea I have is something that could heat two pans/pots and an oven. Not sure if one unit or separate units would be best at this time.

The second type of stove I have in mind would be something that could be used to heat a house. The draw towards a rocket type of stove is the fact it uses no electricity. Yes I have a wood stove as a backup now that would work, but it is not all that efficient, and the task of time, money and fuel to go get the wood.

This is where the twist come in. Currently I heat with a multi fuel pellet stove burning wheat. I have a farm and grow my own. I feel I will always have an amount stored at home to use as needed. So with that in mind I would like to design and build a stove that would burn grains similar to the designs I have seen set up to burn wood pellets.

I have the knowledge, space and equipment to fabricate just about anything. I am a little slow with Cad programs to draw the designs before it is taken to the plasma table. But I do not have any experience in stove design over the basic types that you see posted most often.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Looking to learn...with a twist   Looking to learn...with a twist EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 11:45 pm

welcome to the forum

burning grain instead of pellets is still usable for any type of burner

would they be any way that you could form grain pellets as yours is an interesting idea something im going to have a look at to see if its possible in what ive just said or would it be best to burn as they are unknown as ive not come across this myself

as goes for cooker idea it is possible but id be looking at a form that would do the cooking and switchable to the heating side of it something on the lines of the aga and rayburn systems just a redesign to there build
Back to top Go down
NainCain

PostSubject: Re: Looking to learn...with a twist   Looking to learn...with a twist EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 3:00 am

Forming anything into a pellet is not easy and expensive. Getting the grain to burn takes more air, and more time/harder to light. Corn would work well in place of a wood pellet because it is closer to the same size. Wheat is smaller so a different basket would need to be designed.

Grains have a higher BTU then wood. I do not care much for corn as it leaves a coating in the exhaust that is acidic. It will eat through even stainless after a while. Barley is to light in weight to stay in a forced air burn pot. It does not gravity flow as easy either. Wheat burns hotter then corn, flows extremely better, and burns clean.

I will look up the other systems. You make a good point about a stove serving two purposes. Be a pain to cook outdoors in winter.
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: Looking to learn...with a twist   Looking to learn...with a twist EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 4:26 pm

gadily wrote:
would they be any way that you could form grain pellets as yours is an interesting idea something im going to have a look at to see if its possible in what ive just said or would it be best to burn as they are unknown as ive not come across this myself

NainCain wrote:
Forming anything into a pellet is not easy and expensive. Getting the grain to burn takes more air, and more time/harder to light. Corn would work well in place of a wood pellet because it is closer to the same size. Wheat is smaller so a different basket would need to be designed.

Grain is already pellet shape, pellet size, on contrary of pellets, grain does not have empty space inside, more slippery than pellets and "flows" better than pellets

I have no experience what so ever using grain as fuel, not even in the forge where you force as much air as you wish. So I have a couple of dumb questions. How dry grain has to be (maximum water content in the grain) to burn like wood?  To burn grain, do you always have to force air? Do you have to dry the grain artificially before you burn it or naturally drying the grain is enough? Why not using seeds rich in oil like rape seed or peanuts? Is it because they do not burn well, do you have to invest a lot of money (when compared to grain) to burn them, are they expensive to produce?
Back to top Go down
NainCain

PostSubject: Re: Looking to learn...with a twist   Looking to learn...with a twist EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 3:40 am

I have no experience what so ever using grain as fuel, not even in the forge where you force as much air as you wish. So I have a couple of dumb questions.
How dry grain has to be (maximum water content in the grain) to burn like wood?  To store grain it needs to be 15% or less. Usually for wheat at harvest it is around 10%, so no need to dry it further
To burn grain, do you always have to force air? I would say it depends on stove design. Just like any other fuel source without air it would just smolder. I do feel grain would take more air then wood. Maybe it is just it has more BTU's
Do you have to dry the grain artificially before you burn it or naturally drying the grain is enough? Again usually the grains are or have to be below 15% to be harvested or thrashed. There are exceptions especially with corn. In some cases it has to be dried such as in wet weather or high humidity areas. Just tested my wheat I am burning now and it is 8%
Why not using seeds rich in oil like rape seed or peanuts? Is it because they do not burn well, do you have to invest a lot of money (when compared to grain) to burn them, are they expensive to produce?I have no experience in oil crops. I think you may be able to burn them without any additional costs. Wheat and corn can be grown almost any where on the planet and produce a larger volume per acre or area, and may be cheaper to grow.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Looking to learn...with a twist   Looking to learn...with a twist EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 8:44 am

heres some info for you to look at

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t752-tent-stove#6267

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t13-dual-feedbox-rocket-stove-grill

to be honest theres plenty of others out there to choose from depends on which one that you pick to build and use
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking to learn...with a twist   Looking to learn...with a twist Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking to learn...with a twist
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Rocket Woodstove Forum :: General :: Introduce yourself-
Jump to: